1. 6,031

Front-page
    Dev_Kit.jpeg

Nreal is taking mixed reality (MR) seriously and wants to convince you to do the same. Today, the Beijing-based startup has opened pre-orders for the dev kit of its Nreal Light headset, an inconspicuous, sunglasses-looking device that plugs right into your Android smartphone via a USB-C cable. It comes with a touch-sensitive controller, computing unit equipped with Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, the glasses itself and other minor accessories.

These MR glasses will allow you to run any Android apps layered onto the real world, Iron Man-style, as well as dedicated software for the device. That's where developers come in. Nreal’s SDK allows devs to develop their own applications for the device as well as migrate native Android apps to Nreal MR. The dev kit, priced at $1199, comes with all you need to start developing for the Nreal Light.

Some of the highlight features include:
    • 6DoF Space Recognition: gives applications information about the physical structures of the environment the glasses are in.
    • Plane Detection: detect flat surfaces (both horizontal and vertical) in the real world.
    • Hand Tracking: allows users to manipulate or interact with their MR environment using their very own hands.
    • Multiplayer Mode: enables users to share a single MR environment, and allows developers to build collaborative applications and games.
    To have an idea of what's possible with the device, the company just shared a footage on Twitter taken in real-time with the Nreal Light:

And yes, if you've been wondering, games are also in the works. Nreal shared a teaser of a tower defense-styled game developed in-house, called Nreal Tower, giving a taste of what's possible with the SDK and that more games could be in the works from the company:

If you're not a developer, Nreal plans to release its consumer version at a later time, priced at $499. It shows promise and definitely sits on the more affordable end of the spectrum when it comes to MR devices. Would you like to try it on?

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox
    :arrow: Nreal Developer Page

2. Discussion (42 replies)

3. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    What about those of us with glasses?

4. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

They have dedicated prescription lenses that fit the device! First question that popped to my mind as well and had to ask them :D

2Hack, I pwned U!, MrTrololo_ and 5 others like this.
  5. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    Okay that's kind of cool.
    However, it would probably do better if they made it so that glasses users could just buy a little clip attachment, adjust the MR glasses and the clip and that's it.

6. eyeliner
    This message by eyeliner has been removed from public view by DinohScene, May 19, 2020, Reason: let's not.
    May 18, 2020
  7. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    That design is optimistically sleek and small. Is there a functioning prototype/demo unit of that size, or are they hoping they will be able to shrink it that much for production? It would be great if they manage, but I have my doubts.

JavaScribe, Xzi and x65943 like this.
  8. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

the dev kit looks just like in the image and I've been following their progress, at tech conferences they showed it off, the device looked as slim.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Interesting, hopefully the more "wallet friendly" dev kit price helps entice more "normal" devs into building AR apps/games for consumers, and not just "workforce" stuff like Hololens and Google Glass (assuming you'd even consider that in the same ballpark as something like this). Hololens is super cool, but that $3.5k per glasses kit was pretty dang expensive.

Am curious to see what comes of this.

From what I understand, the majority of the processing would run off your smartphone (or that hockey puck thing), not the glasses themselves, so I suspect the images show off the actual size of the thing since it seems to be nothing more than a screen, some speakers, a camera, and some spatial sensors which, at this point, are definitely small enough to fit into a space that size.

JavaScribe likes this.
  10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    Fuck VR and it's bulky lame headsets, no glasses friendly options and damn headaches. MR is the future!

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 18, 2020
  11. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    Processing was never the issue with these VR/MR/AR things, the problem was always the size of the screens and optics and how to fit it all into a headset. Looks like they managed.

Nice.

JavaScribe likes this.
  12. wiiuepiccpu

wiiuepiccpu vanCFW tester

United States
    Yeah I had that same question

13. Xizix
    This message by Xizix has been removed from public view by DinohScene, May 19, 2020, Reason: reply to deleted post.
    May 18, 2020
  14. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This looks like it's going to be awful. Also, I find it strange that they're using a name that sounds so similar to "Unreal". I know Chinese companies steal from western companies all the time, but are they also going to try stealing from Tencent?

SonyUSA likes this.
  15. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Portugal
    The design is almost appealing to me, they did a good job!
    I'm not excited for a world where this is as popular as smartphones, people are going to miss use this. I'm tired of people bumping into me, or text driving as it is.
    Great for professionals, movie and gaming enthusiast!

yoyoyo69 likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

oh wow this looks coo- 500$
    *W E L P__I' M__O U T T A__H E R E*

17. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    And luckily it was answered right below my post!

18. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here
    Contributor

United States
    Agreed, they look really laggy and terrible

yoyoyo69 likes this.
  19. SG854

SG854 I Will Show You Paradise

Comoros
    Nreal sounds like a Nintendo product

JavaScribe likes this.
  20. lordofcombo

lordofcombo Member
    Newcomer

Mauritania
  21. Ericthegreat
    This message by Ericthegreat has been removed from public view by DinohScene, May 19, 2020, Reason: reply to deleted post.
    May 19, 2020
  22. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    Won't this have low FoV if they use a glasses like design. I mean, with real glasses, FoV is already decreased by a lot.

Xzi likes this.
  23. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
    According to a news post about it from last sept the fov is 52, which is god awful (and 1080p per eye)

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee and Xzi like this.
  24. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    Sony claims to have anti dizzy/motion sickness coming in a new VR for PS5

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reality, headset, orders