1. 2,729

Front-page
    nreal consumer kit.jpg

Nreal goes one step further in the mixed reality market and releases the consumer version of its headset, the Nreal Light, in South Korea. Partnering with LG Uplus, the Nreal Light will retail for a subsidized 349,500KRW (about $295) in a bundle with the Samsung Note 20 and an LG Uplus 5G data plan in Korea. Alternatively, it can be purchased separately by LG Uplus members for 699,000 KRW (USD 586).

Nreal Light's consumer version will come with a pair of Nreal Light glasses and accessories such as corrective lens frame that accommodates near sighted users, four different sized magnetically attachable nose pads and a carry case. Additionally, the kit includes a VR Cover, that completely occludes your field of view and doubles the device as a pair of Virtual Reality glasses.

Consumer_Kit_2.jpeg
    Nebula_1.jpg Nebula_3.jpg Nebula_2.jpg

Nreal previously teased the possibility of mixed reality gaming with its headset, with in-house games such as its tower defense-styled Nreal Tower. Since the dev kit was previously available, it will be interesting to see new games and apps developed with the device's interactivity and immersiveness in mind for the general public.

Preorders for the Nreal Light start today, August 11th, in the South Korean market through the LG U+ online store. As from August 21, the device will also be carried in LG Uplus' retail stores throughout the country.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

2. Discussion (12 replies)

3. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Damn, I want one of those. A bit pricey though.
    This can go both ways, either it ends up being a fad like 3D and pass after a while, or it can become increasingly popular like VR.

Orangy57 likes this.
  4. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's too early for VR, as long as PS and Microsoft didn't adopt it, there won't be any good games or content just like the Quest.

5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    The video is at least a little more realistic than the still images in terms of how low-resolution everything is and the the type of screen-door effect you'd experience when looking through these glasses. The low frame rate would also be nausea-inducing if not for the low FoV keeping you firmly rooted in reality. Mixed reality is still a long way off from replacing your smartphone screen for casual use.

What? Sony did adopt VR with PSVR. They'll probably make a whole new iteration of it for PS5, too. Won't surprise me if XBSX ends up supporting a variety of headsets as well.

That said, this isn't VR, it's Mixed Reality (MR), and it's driven by phone hardware which isn't anywhere near sufficient for gaming purposes.

Last edited by Xzi, Aug 11, 2020
    shaunj66 and Prans like this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    this isn't VR this is like the feature the 3ds had but on steroids. this is BETTER than VR

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Aug 11, 2020
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    No fat block on your head?
    I'm interested.

x65943 and Shalashaska98 like this.
  8. Xzi

United States
    Had to take away my like with that edit. Maybe it'll be better than VR in twenty years, but right now it's not even up to the task of browsing social media or watching Youtube videos without some extremely noticeable visual issues. Every "problem" VR has can only be exacerbated by a lower resolution display and lower-spec hardware driving it.

Shalashaska98 likes this.
  9. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I know it isn't VR I mean by VR every technology including AR.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Seems the new Facebook Oculus one will be glasses only.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I know the difference between AR and VR and I meant all the related technology. Indeed there's PSVR but it had only few games. What I meant is a next gen console that fully adopts VR, we are ages away from that hence the year 2020 isn't the right one to get any of this as it won't be that good and it's lacking content. Buying this now is like buying TMobile G1 compared to the latest iPhone we have nowdays.

Trust me I come from the future.

10. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Im getting flashbacks of Minority Report ;)

While cool and all I see mixed reality being of more use in the 'app space' then the 'gaming space'.
    Because how good can you always apply mixed reality in all home situations. (Sure the same can be said about VR but the main things is VR does not MIX with real life stuff ... hence it is easier / better from an immersion perspective)

TheCasualties likes this.
  11. Xzi

United States
    About 550 games have been released for PSVR...Sony just announced some new ones in development during the latest state of play stream. Not to suggest anything about the average quality of those games or that PSVR is by any means the highest quality experience you can buy, it's very much "entry level" in that regard.

If by that you mean a "VR-only" console, such a thing would be pointless since any console capable of meeting the recommended requirements for VR can produce even more impressive performance on a flatscreen. VR rendering is roughly three times as hardware intensive as standard rendering.

It's a given that all technology improves over time, but if you decide to wait for perfection, you'll still be waiting on your deathbed.

Granted, there are only two or three AAA VR titles available at the moment, but I think that number will increase exponentially by end of life for next-gen consoles. Even if for some reason it doesn't, there are 20+ very solid indie VR developers worth supporting.

Where hardware is concerned, I'm more than happy with the Pimax 5K+ I backed on Kickstarter. Dual 1440p displays means a sharp image with no SDE, and 150+ degrees FoV means total immersion (at least to the edges of my glasses). Also, even a GTX 1080ti can't hit the maximum frame rate that the headset is capable of displaying, so it is somewhat future-proof in that sense.

In summary: as somebody who owned a Virtual Boy back in the day, I can assure you it's definitely not "too early" for VR in 2020. The technology (hardware) is there, it's just a matter of developers and development techniques (software) catching up to the new medium.

KingVamp and Daggot like this.
  12. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Well, I think it would help if they start selling PSVR2 bundles as fast as possible, whenever they announce the thing. As well as good VR to continue to get cheaper in general.

Maybe AR isn't ready to replace your phone, but I do think this is good enough to do some casual media consumption.

Xzi likes this.
  13. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

United States
    Mixed Reality is some corny shit. I'm waiting for holograms and superior VR.

Xzi and Shalashaska98 like this.
  14. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    Really confusing name, because of Windows Mixed Reality headsets which are mostly VR Headsets as far as I know?

Also, stop saying VR is better than AR etc. It does not make sense, they are not competing.

As far as VR goes, I like it but it makes me tired, and the headsets I've tried (og vive and rift s) have terrible resolution.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - consumer, reality, headset