Nreal announces Nreal Air, a new AR headset for mobile entertainment and gaming

nreal air.JPG

You might have heard of Nreal before, the augmented reality headset manufacturer behind the Nreal Light and also for ruffling feathers with Epic Games earlier this year. The company has announced a brand-new line of headsets slated to release later this year: the Nreal Air. These sleeker pair of headsets will weigh around 77g and are intended to be used both indoors and outdoors. The latter will be more feasible compared to the Nreal Light as the Air features a detachable USB-C cable so as not to attract unwanted attention while not in use.

nreal air 2.JPG

Compared to the Nreal Light, the Nreal Air will be sleeker and also pack better ergonomic comfort with its adjustable 3-Step Rake System that enables users to adjust the viewing angle by tilting the lens, and elastic temples to wrap around the head and not slip. The outward-facing camera have also been streamlined to focus on the theater experience. Speaking of, the device will be able to project a 3Dof, holographic "floating" 201-inch virtual display, when viewed at a distance of 6 meters.

As for more of the new device's specs, Nreal says that the Air is powered by a "best-in-market micro-OLED chip for AR devices", a refresh rate of up to 90Hz and packs a display with a high density of colors, with as many as 49 Pixels Per Degree (PPD).

Nreal says that the Nreal Air has been chiefly designed for entertainment purposes, "be it for watching YouTube videos, streaming media, or playing mobile games". Having tried the Nreal Light myself, the AR experience is rather convincing, especially since the device's dedicated launcher is compatible with apps the user is already familiar with.

The Nreal Air is expected to launch in December 2021 to three key Asian markets including Japan, China and South Korea in partnership with some leading carriers. Its roll out to other markets will take place through to 2022 and the pricing will be determined by local carrier partners. However, Nreal states that the Air will retail "at a fraction of the price of Nreal Light" (which is itself around $600). Interestingly, the Nreal Air will be compatible with iOS devices, including iPhones and iPads and is being touted as "the first AR device in the world" to offer such compatibility. Of course, like the Nreal Light, the new model will be compatible with most Android devices.

nreal air 3.JPG

Today's news should be more considered as an announcement or soft launch rather than a full reveal as we have only image renders to go by. Hopefully, we will get to learn more about the Nreal Air in the coming months. In the meantime, be sure to check out our official impressions of the Nreal Light linked below to learn how it works and what to expect out of it!

:arrow: Nreal Light Official GBAtemp Impressions

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
these devices are becoming increasingly appealing and I wonder if they might one day become mainstream…

If they did, there would be so much potential for new uses, sadly right now content remains limited from what I gather. Exciting !

Reactions: Noctosphere

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m confused what’s the purpose of these? Are they just supposed to be like “smart glasses” as an alternative to people that wear glasses, but with the added features of like a YouTube video on the lenses. Or is this just something else entirely?

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I’m confused what’s the purpose of these? Are they just supposed to be like “smart glasses” as an alternative to people that wear glasses, but with the added features of like a YouTube video on the lenses. Or is this just something else entirely?
These glasses project a new layer of digital information through the use of the lens. For example, using a GPS app, they could show on top of the real world the itinerary you have to take to reach your destination. It's like a video game HUD, but in real life.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I want to know is why they're choosing this design for these. Getting some Revenge of the Nerds vibes.
Glasses in general with this kind of design have been trendy for awhile. Hell there are people without prescriptions that wear glasses these days just for the fashion.

Reactions: Osha

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Glasses in general with this kind of design have been trendy for awhile. Hell there are people without prescriptions that wear glasses these days just for the fashion.
That Wayfarer style was trendy in 2013 though, not 2021. Now the trend is circled glasses.
Granted though, people don't necessarily change their glasses when there is a new trend and rather change them when they need to change them, so of course you can still see people with this style. But still, copying an outdated style doesn't seem like the best idea to me.
Anyways, still a step up from their last style which was trendy absolutely never.

Reactions: apaltado and Kioku

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That Wayfarer style was trendy in 2013 though, not 2021. Now the trend is circled glasses.
Granted though, people don't necessarily change their glasses when there is a new trend and rather change them when they need to change them, so of course you can still see people with this style. But still, copying an outdated style doesn't seem like the best idea to me.
Anyways, still a step up from their last style which was trendy absolutely never.
I still see this look everywhere, not sure where you're only seeing the circled glasses. Though I see you're from France, that may explain it. In America, this look is still very popular.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You sure won't get some top-notch AR with slim glasses (for practical reasons as well as technical ones). That being said people that dislike the design might only get to see a more appealing one in the future if enough people are fine with the current state. You are free to like it or not, yet this product is not meant to be a stylish accessory primarily.

I for one won't care about the design at all, as long as they nailed the technical part. And as long as it doesn't double as a spy cam.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is "Pixels Per Degree (PPD)" marketing talk here or something generally adopted? It makes some sense but still triggers my marketing nonsense alarm.

Also in before "4/3 is still a fraction".

More generally. I want my sci fi future glasses. Been prepared for years at this point. Don't think this will be the thing to give it to me though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended