Gaming Now What? (Thx for the help on early Topic)

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, thanks to all of you (espcially DS1,CrashmanX, and Xist) in my last thread. Luckily, two of my friends are selling their silver dextar pack psp. However, they've both never hacked it (I'm getting either one for 50 bucks everything included beside games xD) and they are not aware of what firmware it's at (they may have updated as the years passed by). I don't know if this is a major concern and if this one measily firmware makes a huge difference I'll be really pissed :@. I'm positive that they have the hackable motherboard as they got it over 3 years ago which is when I believe it came out? Btw, I've search in both GBATemp and Google if the firmware mattered but no answer, only "Make sure the psp has this blablabla firmware and mobo."

Well, if I can't buy from them I'll get one from Gamestop this weekend hopefully. Although I was wondering, there are two I believe CFW? Which one do you guys think its the most STABLE and "comfortable" (lots of features and etc) CFW?

Finally, I've read that CSO and CSO+ are smaller size games compared to ISO. I've read half and half that some people have problems with both CSO and CSO+ and others say it works fine. The people that complained were having issues such as slow downs/lagg from time to time, errors, crashes, and screws up the CFW? So I want your thoughts on it guys xD. I mean smaller size would be a money saver and not a lot of transferring from PC to PSP for games.

Thanks a bunch guys! P.S. Should there be anything I should check out before I buy the PSP from my friend? Like certain cracks (Example:old white DS) or buttons etc?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you might mean .CSO. It's a compressed version of an .ISO, so you probably do. Some games work better as ISO, but it often varies from game to game. ISO is essentially everything you'd find on a UMD, while a CSO takes some of this information out.

As for CFW, the major versions are M33 and GEN.

Latest M33 is 5.00 M33-6. M33 apparently has a greater compatibility for homebrew, but retail ISO games require patching before they can be played.

Latest GEN firmware is 5.50 GEN-D3, and has greater compatibility for retail games, though homebrew does also work. GEN firmware pre-patches games, so you can put the ISO (or CSO) on directly and it should play.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Check for stuck/dead pixels and get them to open up the internet browser and see if the arrow pointer drifts once it's free to move. Also check the shoulder buttons, D-Pad Up and face buttons all work ok.

Essentially if it's a definitely hackable mobo then firmware is irrelevant. However, above 5.03 then you'll need a Pandora battery to install CFW, if it's below then you simply update to 5.03 and you can utilise a homebrew enabler which exploits the way 5.03 displays images to allow the installation of CFW.

Regarding ISO vs CSO...i'd suggest that you have all your games as ISO and compress them to CSO yourself with something like YACC. Then if you're having issues with a game you can decompress and use the ISO. Many people use CSO's happily but many others just stick with ISO's to avoid any induced lag. More intense games which run at higher Clock Speeds usually need to be run as ISO's, as do the 3D GTA games, other wise you'll get issues. I always use ISO's for everything and am quite happy with a 4Gb Sandisk stick.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Psst. xist...you mean GB...

ISOs can have quite a large filesize, with some games well over 1GB, so having a large Memory Stick is highly recommended.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you guys very much. So from what xist is saying, it doesn't matter if the firmware is higher than 5.03 as long as it has the right mobo, then it can be hacked. Am I correct?

And ProtoKun7, So would GEN be a better choice because above you said that it can run homebrew games fine and retail games without patching (kinda like R4 style for M33). I don't want to start a flame war or anything cause the thread below mine talks about these two firmwares (sorry if it gets out of hand!!!).

I forgot to mention on my first post. Is there a site like GBATemp but for PSP's? I'm not asking for a warez/iso site just a friendly community like here. It's just cause PSP forum on GBATemp doesn't seem to be "BIG" but a lot of helpers
smile.gif

Thanks a lot for the co-operation!

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
TwinBlades said:
Hey guys, thanks to all of you (espcially DS1,CrashmanX, and Xist) in my last thread. Luckily, two of my friends are selling their silver dextar pack psp. However, they've both never hacked it (I'm getting either one for 50 bucks everything included beside games xD) and they are not aware of what firmware it's at (they may have updated as the years passed by). I don't know if this is a major concern and if this one measily firmware makes a huge difference I'll be really pissed :@. I'm positive that they have the hackable motherboard as they got it over 3 years ago which is when I believe it came out? Btw, I've search in both GBATemp and Google if the firmware mattered but no answer, only "Make sure the psp has this blablabla firmware and mobo."

Since they're 2000's and you believe that the Motherboards are hack-able, as do I, then Firmware shouldn't be a huge deal. Of course the next step from here is to make a Pandora batter or install CFW if the OFW is low enough. Most likely it's Pandora battery is the next step though.

TwinBlades said:
Well, if I can't buy from them I'll get one from Gamestop this weekend hopefully. Although I was wondering, there are two I believe CFW? Which one do you guys think its the most STABLE and "comfortable" (lots of features and etc) CFW?

There are 2 different custom firmwares currently. M33 is the older and more stable Firmware, however it doesn't not receive updates but does have a good fan-base which constantly provide it with new plug-ins and things to help it to keep up. The other CFW is GEN, it currently recieves updates and has many of the older plug-ins converted specifically for it and it's also getting many of the same functions of M33. Currently I use GEN-D3 as it's the most recent and updated version of GEN.

QUOTE(TwinBlades @ May 3 2010, 03:42 PM)
Finally, I've read that CSO and CSO+ are smaller size games compared to ISO. I've read half and half that some people have problems with both CSO and CSO+ and others say it works fine. The people that complained were having issues such as slow downs/lagg from time to time, errors, crashes, and screws up the CFW? So I want your thoughts on it guys xD. I mean smaller size would be a money saver and not a lot of transferring from PC to PSP for games.

Thanks a bunch guys! P.S. Should there be anything I should check out before I buy the PSP from my friend? Like certain cracks (Example:old white DS) or buttons etc?

Well yes with CSO's there is more lag and some games just dont work. Though the same applys for any compressed file format, it takes longer to load since it has to decompress it. ISO's can sometimes be much larger and other times but just barely bigger than a CSO. I'm not sure about "CSO+" as I've never heard of a CSO+, but I havent been on the CSO/ISO scene in a while.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I've came across some FIXED and non-FIXED games. I'm sure most of you guys if you own a ds and a flashcart that patched games usually lags or have certain problems. Should I download FIXED games? (I'm thinking of getting GEN).

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fixed games are generally the ones that have been pre-patched to work on M33 firmware as Protokun said earlier the latest GEN firmware pre-patches the games so you can run it right off the bat without having to worry about anything.

As for the .ISO vs. .CSO I convert most of my .ISO into .CSO but it generally depends on the game your converting. if a game is graphically heavy (lots of FMVs or action sequences) like a Final Fantasy game FMVs and using skills e.t.c. or a game were there's ALOT of data to load, like GTA the I'd leave it as a .ISO or perhaps compress it less when I make it into a .CSO seriously it depends entirely on the game you want to compress, you can always try compressing the game anyway and checking how it plays, if your unhappy with it just stick with the .ISO version.

I've seen quite a few PSP games that have hit over the 1GB mark even when compressed some are still over !GB so if you want to carry alot of games around I suggest getting a card 8GB+ to store your games and game saves on.

Personally I'm running my PSP on M33 5.00-6 the reason why is I don't mind going through patching my games before I play them for the first time, and because personally I prefer it to the GEN firmware (don't ask why I don't have an answer, I just do).

Speaking off patching games to work on M33 I've been out of the scene for a little while, what's the latest and easiest way of patching games and could you provide me with a link?
(sorry for hi-jacking the thread for this question)

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay thanks guys, btw you guys use the actual Sony made psp stick or another brand? Some good ones that you guys can suggest would be nice. Cause I use Kingston which is very fast for Cyclods

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Sandisk.

Also if you think you're buying a stick at a bargain price....STOP!!!! Spend the money on a decent real Pro Duo from a genuine retailer (i.e. NOT Amazon Marketplace) and get a real stick, rather than a fake which could cause you issues at some point in the future.

Buying cheap is a false economy.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
also kinda depends on your luck,, 8 gb sticks are like 40 euro here, and i don't like to pay that much, so i have one from dx already for a few months and no problems
smile.gif

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Sandisk.

Also if you think you're buying a stick at a bargain price....STOP!!!! Spend the money on a decent real Pro Duo from a genuine retailer (i.e. NOT Amazon Marketplace) and get a real stick, rather than a fake which could cause you issues at some point in the future.

Buying cheap is a false economy.

Indeed, I use SanDisk and have never had any issues. I got a 4GB from BestBuy when it was on sale for like $10 so I got a nice steal on that one. Usually though a good 4GB or 8GB will run about $20-$40, depending on where you shop of course.

QUOTE(nico445 @ May 4 2010, 06:27 AM) also kinda depends on your luck,, 8 gb sticks are like 40 euro here, and i don't like to pay that much, so i have one from dx already for a few months and no problems
smile.gif

I don't suggest that. There have been reports of Fake Memory Sticks from DX amongst other things having gone wrong with DX and them trying to cheese out on things. I wouldn't trust your apparent 8GB stick.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as MS Pro I believe Sony and SanDisk are the way to go. Sony and SanDisk created the Memory Stick in a partnership and Sony made the device smaller (Duo) in a need to compete with the secure digital (SD) format. There are currently rumors of another partnership between SanDisk and Sony again to bring the Memory Stick XC which supposedly supports 2TB. Source

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I've kinda made up a list for some games. I was wondering if you guys could recommend to CSO or keep as ISO?
-Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
-Phantasy Star Portable/and 2
-Socom Fire Team Bravo 3
-Dungeon Seige Throne of Agony

Thanks
smile.gif

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would backup the ISO then use UMDGen to create a CSO, then try the CSO. If there is no lag or errors keep the CSO, if there is any problems keep the ISO.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
MHFU as ISO otherwise the loading will deter you from playing it.
PS Portable should be fine as CSO.
Don't know about the rest.

I advice you to try Final Fantasy Dissidia though, one of my favourite PSP games, worth buying a PSP over.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I've got the game as a gift lol "ff Dissidia" awhile ago lol xD. Btw MHFU keep as iso but Phantasy Star Portable as cso is fine :S? Aren't similar style games. I'll back them up first but kinda confused with MHFU and PSP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over