Now that we have redNAND, we need a way to get new homebrew involved...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by ItsKipz, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ItsKipz
    OP

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Maybe we should have a GBATEMP Wii U homebrew contest? Maybe that would help jumpstart more people making homebrew on the Wii U and get us some useful apps!

josamilu likes this.
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's not a bad idea, but I do feel like it should probably wait until a more stable solution+WUT tools come from SALT. The only reason I say that is because it will make homebrew significantly more accessible and easier to develop

3. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Well, WUT is already usable and public, (Here's a GX2 example by @shinyquagsire23 and here's an OSScreen example by me). Yeah, right now we have to play them either in decaf-emu or Loadiine, but that's because app-repacking code doesn't publicly exist yet.

Supposedly Salt has app repacking figured out, so I'm not sure what the delay is for, it would pretty much just help out homebrew if it were released.

But that's neither here nor there... I think this is a great idea and this is a good time for it! I guess what we really need is the whole thing to be properly organized. (like judges, deadlines, criteria, etc)

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
  5. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Just wondering.... Does iosuhax from smea's repo have something for homebrew packing? Because Smea showed his Yeti on the rednand, so idk.

6. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Unfortunately, the iosuhax repo does not contain re-packing facilities. If we pester @smealum about it enough, he might release it. 8P

7. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Yeah at the moment the consensus is just that it'll be released along with everything else, our packer also includes utilities for a one-file compressed archive for homebrew so that it's easier to distribute, so even if I were to release I'd probably end up stripping that out because that archive format is somewhat volatile while I'm developing the frontend installer for it.

I highly doubt @smealum has a packer, if he does he'd also happen to have a full set of tools covering what WUT does because WUT didn't even work on hardware until I fixed a bunch of issues with it and loader.elf.

8. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Fair enough. Pretty cool!

CreeperMario likes this.