Now that we have OTP, could we install CIAs to SD in the computer?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ThePwnerer, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ThePwnerer
    OP

ThePwnerer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    The actual procedure to install CIAs to our 3ds is to copy them to the SD (or send them via network), and then install them using the 3ds itself. I understand that this is because 3ds have to do something to the installation (sign something or whatever).

In the process to get the OTP file, i noted that one of my nands (emo or sys, cant remember now) detected the installed games in the SD (games that were installed after the nand backup).

So all that is making me think:

If im not wrong, with the new "powers" we have (thanks to all Devs!), are we too far away to be able to?:
    - Put the 3ds SD card on the computer
    - Open a software that can read the SD, getting the list of games installed in the folder we are currently using (the ones inside "nintendo 3ds")
    - manage games directly in the pc (install, backup-restore (games and saves), uninstall)

Thank you everyone for your comments!

2. roflpwnt

roflpwnt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2016
    Canada
    Short answer is no.

3. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    no.... all the game files are encrypted with system unique key

4. ThePwnerer
    OP

ThePwnerer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    isn't that the OTP file we have now?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    what's the point?
    Also, you need to install the ticket to nand

6. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    the system can't detect any new games.
    for example, I installed MHG on my emunand(this emunand now contains a signature that shows MHG is installed, it's like a key to the door. now ,the emunand has the key), then I restore back the old emunand which doesn't have the MHG sign. The MHG won't shows up on the home menu, but you can easily sign the existed installed file to the emunand by using BBM to reinstall MHG.cia(it will gives you an error, that's the good sign. do not use other cia installer such as devmenu, it will remove the old files and perform a new installation)

7. ThePwnerer
    OP

ThePwnerer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Then, if i understand correctly, we first have to be able to encrypt the game installation to the SD using OTP, AND, edit the ticket.db/title.db for the nand we are installing to?

Last edited by ThePwnerer, Mar 9, 2016
  8. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    OTP allows some keys to be decrypted that couldn't before. It does not, however, allow all keys to be decrypted.

9. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    I think the point is speeding up the installation process. Installing ticket to NAND is easy?

However, @FenrirWolf said , not all keys are allowed to be decrypted yet.

Last edited by tivu100, Mar 9, 2016
  10. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    The fastest option for installing CIAs would be a computer, so somebody would need to make 2 programs (one for 3DS and one for PC) that would install the CIA to the SD card using a computer then one that runs on 3DS that would edit ticket.db and title.db accordingly.

I guess somebody would be able to test if copying games to the SD card via computer works as FBI will install only the ticket if you try to (re)install a CIA and decline to overwrite (it errors out but installs the ticket). A program to copy games to the SD card already encrypted using OTP would still be needed to attempt this.

EDIT: does OTP give us access to the keys used for signing content with the console unique key in the first place?.

Last edited by driverdis, Mar 9, 2016
  11. ThePwnerer
    OP

ThePwnerer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    That's close to what i'm thinking... but understanding that the 3ds will read everything it needs from the sd card (including "what does i have installed?") i don't see the need for running a cia installer in the 3ds itself.

12. roflpwnt

roflpwnt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2016
    Canada
    Protip: If you buy carts you don't have to wait for CIA's to install.

Memoir, Brawl345, dubbz82 and 4 others like this.
  13. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    You meant flashcart?!:rolleyes:

You still need to get ticket to NAND.

14. ThePwnerer
    OP

ThePwnerer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Sure if the ticket/title.db is inside the sysnand, but not in the emunand case.

15. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    the only way to get .db file is through decrypt9, right?:blink: other than xorpad decrypt nand.bin...

16. froggestspirit

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    rxTools had a simple option to dump and inject ticket.db, though I don't know how helpful this is for a9lh

I understand the point more so now

17. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

Depends...if you're a weirdo like me, I've dumped and converted all my games to CIA so I can carry around my entire collection without....well carrying around my entire collection. That being said, in this case, there's a price to be paid for that convenience.

18. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    that the same thing as decrypt9

19. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Protip: If you wait for CIA's to install, you don't need to carry your carts with you.

otto888 likes this.
  20. froggestspirit

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    Or you could do both :P

driverdis likes this.