Hacking Now that the PS3 Keys have been leaked...

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will we expect a lot of the Wii's homebrew developement to slow down due to everyone focussing on developing for the PS3? Does anyone know who has already jumped ship?

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don´t think it might mean too much.

I recently packed away my 360 in favor for my newly bought wii and all the good games that this console actually has (among many horrible games of course
wink.gif
. There is still a lot of potential in the wii and maybe 2011 will show that - this year is probably wii´s "last dance" and I´m hoping for a good one.

In my humble opinion, the common-wii-modding-scene might last to around 2013, if you see how long the modding scene on the original XBOX hang on. There are still hardcore modders working on the original XBOX right now. I also wanna add, that this of course depends when Nintendo will announce/release a new home-console.

The PS3...I don´t know...it is actually one of the consoles that I never ever thought of buying. Sony didn´t manage to break trough this time. Though I was a huge PSX/PS2 fan - fantastic consoles!

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Red Ire Lap said:
Will we expect a lot of the Wii's homebrew developement to slow down due to everyone focussing on developing for the PS3? Does anyone know who has already jumped ship?

Nothing really. You'll see less from the big names, but the really hard stuff has been done. Be thankful those people where interested in the Wii and wish them luck with their latest projects.

QUOTE(siliconmessiah @ Jan 6 2011, 04:49 PM) I recently packed away my 360 in favor for my newly bought wii and all the good games that this console actually has (among many horrible games of course
wink.gif
[snip]
Though I was a huge PSX/PS2 fan - fantastic consoles!

Funny that though, the PS2 was very underpowered and had the most crap ever seen on a console. But all that crap meant it had a massive library of games which was the Sony fanbois reason why it was the best. But this generation, according to the same ppl the exact same things are what is bad about the Wii...

Red Ire Lap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats good to know. I'm surprised to hear people are still modding the old xbox. I may consider picking up a PS3 now myself in the coming months depending what kind of homebrew gets developed for it.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You still get people messing with dreamcasts and N64's et al. The odd person still plays with NES's GB's and even older stuff. I'm a member of a group that still makes new hardware for 1980s micros. At worst things will slow down and maybe stop when there's nothing else to do.

siliconmessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Funny that though, the PS2 was very underpowered and had the most crap ever seen on a console. But all that crap meant it had a massive library of games which was the Sony fanbois reason why it was the best. But this generation, according to the same ppl the exact same things are what is bad about the Wii...

Yeah. You are right.
For me though (and I guess almost everyone in these parts of the internet), it has never been about the amount of games. It has been about THE games (Final Fantasy series/Metal Gear/RPG:s etc. etc.).
With the risk of going offtopic here I would like to add that there are many of reasons why I chose the wii instead of PS3 and why I packed away my 360: gaming has lost a lot of soul since the days of N64/PSX/PS2, but Nintendo and it´s games are still hanging on to originality, and many of them are still a decent challenge (Zelda & Mario for example), and you don´t get your "hand held" for the whole of the game, as in many of the new games on 360/PS3.

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's left that's worthwhile to pursue? other than a GC USB loader (without the need for SNEEK/UNEEK) and the occasional anti- anti-piracy patches, for me at least everything seems to be in place. I used to use my wii more for WiiMC than gaming unless I had people over, but now that I have a PS3 I won't even be using the Wii for that.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
The odd person still plays with NES's GB's and even older stuff.

Yesterday, I finally reached Tyson in MT Punch's Out. Can someone tell me how to beat the crap out of that bad@ss?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
A lot of Wii hackers/devs already jumped to PS3 : bushing,svpe & marcan are founders of failOverflow's team which kicked recent movement in the PS3 scene, Waninkoko and Hermes are already working on PS3 piracy-related homebrew and already quite abandonned the Wii scene, ...

I guess that since the PS3 is much more powerful than the Wii and also very popular, we can expect a lot of people lacking interest in porting new emulators or writing new apps for the Wii unless it is just to take benefits of Wiimote feature (but we can safely say now that nobody really cared about that, we always use the same "basic" things on every console generation)... regarding piracy, pretty much everything has been done and I bet that GC USB loading like it exists for Wii is never gonna to happen anyway

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
siliconmessiah said:
Yeah. You are right.
For me though (and I guess almost everyone in these parts of the internet), it has never been about the amount of games. It has been about THE games (Final Fantasy series/Metal Gear/RPG:s etc. etc.).

Sorry I wasn't saying you where one of them, just a bit of social commentary. And yeah been mad on RPGs a PS2 was essential next to my GC. Never watched an MGS past the first though. Apparently there's a lot less gaming in the newer movies
tongue.gif

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think it's good for both scenes because things always get ported back and forth. Just look at the Pandora GP2X Dingoo ect. All the games and emulators eventually get ported to every console.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@fattest, I agree with u totally. There really isn't anything else to pursue on the Wii, its all been done... heck, if Wii emulation on the PS3 becomes a reality, I might just get rid of my Wii all together! But if that even happens, I think it will be a loooong time from now. Oh yea, the one thing that WiiMC can do that the PS3 cannot, is play videos off of an NTFS hard drive... so keep that in mind when u plan on watching vids on your PS3
biggrin.gif

@Burton, I've only done it once using an emulator on my PC to save state after every successful dodge, lol, it's practically impossible to do it normally... he was designed to eat your quarters (and your ears, lol)

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XFlak said:
Oh yea, the one thing that WiiMC can do that the PS3 cannot, is play videos off of an NTFS hard drive... so keep that in mind when u plan on watching vids on your PS3
biggrin.gif

Not even with Linux? And anyhows I can imagine Linux on the PS3 will get amazing soon so it's only a matter of weeks. But I don't know how much is known about the graphics chipset so getting any decent acceleration could be months or even years away...

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot about the no nfts issue, luckily my external drive is formatted as FAT32 so I won't have that issue (I actually haven't hooked up my ps3 yet, need to make room for it). However once I start downloading 720p and 1080p movies/shows I may just have to switch over to NTFS...

I only really starting playing my wii when I softmodded it about 1.5yrs ago, and since then I've made pretty good use of it. But if dolphin is ported to the PS3 I think the wii's days will definitely be numbered. As well I hope PS3 usb loading overcomes the 4gb limit, right now I'm not too inclined to download games for that reason. my ps3 is 160gb and would get filled in no time.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Burton said:
Yesterday, I finally reached Tyson in MT Punch's Out. Can someone tell me how to beat the crap out of that bad@ss?

Totally off topic, but what the hell!
tongue.gif

- Tyson will flash right before he delivers an uppercut;
- Tyson will wink his right eye before he delivers a right hook;
- Tyson will wink his left eye before he delivers a left hook.

The rest is just memorizing the patterns:

Round 1

First 1min 30 seconds of the fight: He always begins with left, right, left. When he does two lefts in a row, he will then go right, right, left. After the first 1min 30 seconds his first hook will always be a right, then left. Then two lefts, three rights. He generally continues with three lefts, then three rights -- but he can change to left, right, left right if you're not watching.

Round 2

He will do 10 quick punches right at the start. When he pauses after the hooks, he will go left uppercut, right uppercut. At 1:30 and 2:30 he will blink. If you haven't knocked him down yet, he will punch 4 times.

If you can't figure it out past there, look at an FAQ. It really is just pattern memorization, paying attention to whether or not he winks, and your ability to have mastered the quick dodge.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@ fattest

Just buy a new HD for ur ps3, just get a 500 gb or even a 1 tb for laptop and swap it, it takes like 5 min an involves removing 2 screws lol.

High capacity HD arent really expansive nowadays.

Here is an example of prices for a 1 TB drive for PS3 cost in Canada

http://www.infoprix.ca/disques-durs/portab...ue-1TB-3330.htm

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm actually not sure if linux on the PS3 supports NTFS... I wouldn't be surprised if it did... but my PS3 is a slim so I've never had the pleasure of running linux on it... yet
biggrin.gif

@fattest, If u start downloading 720p and 1080p movies and saving them to an NTFS hard drive to play them on the Wii, they will still only play in 480p due to the Wii's limitations. So if u want to play HD vids that are greater than 4GBs in size, u may need to use something other than your PS3 and your Wii (laptop w/ HDMI or some other media player should work)... but who knows, if NTFS is supported on the PS3 via linux it should work fine... just wait and see I guess!

FYI, its VERY easy to replace the hard drive on your PS3... u just need a 9.5mm laptop sized hard drive (largest in this size is 750GB, but 500GB is more common). Some ppl have managed to squeeze in a 12.5mm HDD, but it some a lot of work on their part, so I wouldn't even bother.

I put a Seagate 500GB hybrid hard drive in my PS3 and it runs GREAT. For those wondering, hybrid means it has some solid state memory (I think 4GBs of the 500) and the drive itself learns what is loaded most frequently and saves that data to the solid state... so this means my PS3 loads faster than most ppls ever will!

fattest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i meant 720p/1080p for playback on the ps3. i didnt have an hdtv until recently so i have been downloading regular 700mb/disc dvd/bdrips and watching them on the wii. yeah i should just upgrade the hd on the ps3, ncix is like 5 mins from me and they have the best deals on hard drives.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
XFlak said:
@fattest, If u start downloading 720p and 1080p movies and saving them to an NTFS hard drive to play them on the Wii, they will still only play in 480p due to the Wii's limitations.

They will either play in 720p/1080p but with a few FPS or just cause code dumps.

Ato Puro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
siliconmessiah said:
gaming has lost a lot of soul since the days of N64/PSX/PS2, but Nintendo and it´s games are still hanging on to originality, and many of them are still a decent challenge (Zelda & Mario for example), and you don´t get your "hand held" for the whole of the game, as in many of the new games on 360/PS3.

Same thing here. I only play VG nowadays because of Nintendo (new controls and games). Otherwise, it'd BioWare (on a PC) once in a blue moon....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4