Hacking Now that bootmii is out

xDarkElement

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah just incase, i dont have the money to pay off a full wii.
Im guessing all wiis that have the LU64+ are not bootmii compatible?

Puma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize charging them is illegal, and if one of them finds out about it, you can go to jail for quite a long time.

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with charging for installation as long as he's not charging for the software it self. Just because the software is free it doesn't mean his time is.

knowthing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smash_brew said:
There is nothing wrong with charging for installation as long as he's not charging for the software it self. Just because the software is free it doesn't mean his time is.

Well, I'm not a lawyer of course, but the bootmii installer says you can't redistribute it. I expect the creators wouldn't be that happy if they knew someone was charging for their work which they gave away for free. I think its bad karma, but I'm not about to try tell anyone else what they can or can't do with their wii!

smash_brew

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's just like if someone charges you to set up linux. You are paying for their expertise and time. the redistribution thing was to stop the twilight hack being hosted on other servers. From what you are saying it would be wrong for anyone other then the owner of the wii to obtain the software and install it regardless if it was done for free or not.

thebobinc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you should read carefully the screen when you are about to install the homebrew channel beford starting an topic asking if it is safe for you to charge people to install stuff that is made to be free and not to be sold as an app or to be include in a package,

Sazzles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
thebobinc said:
you should read carefully the screen when you are about to install the homebrew channel beford starting an topic asking if it is safe for you to charge people to install stuff that is made to be free and not to be sold as an app or to be include in a package,

he's not selling the app, he's selling his time. And in the end, that's not what his question is about anyway!

smash_brew

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't say anything about charging for installation, only about purchasing as a part of a package like the one hombreware was selling. Again if you make it clear that you are only charging for your time and not for the software then you are doing nothing wrong. Once hombreware removed the twilight hack from their package and only sold the install guide then it was ok.

glenrothes-wii-m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
give the boy a break he did say school, how many of you people had wee money making scams when you were at school i know i was always trying to find ways to make money

D

Deleted User

glenrothes-wii-man said:
give the boy a break he did say school, how many of you people had wee money making scams when you were at school i know i was always trying to find ways to make money

Eheh ya. I remember a few months ago I charged 1 ringgit per dude for buying them some drinks in the canteen
tongue.gif

On-topic:

Ya, but just remember not all Wii are boot-mii boot2 compatible.

And I end my speech with a dialog between Lisa and Homer:

Homer:Check it out Lisa! I got second prize!
Lisa: You won?
Homer: Nope, I found it lying on the ground.
*Homer walks out of the room*
Homer: Stealing is wrong.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Puma said:
You do realize charging them is illegal, and if one of them finds out about it, you can go to jail for quite a long time.

There is nothing illegal in charging them, and nothing about this can get you in jail, unless of course you start selling burned copies of the games in the middle of the street or in the internet, nothing wrong with that in México
laugh.gif
Damn country with no crime-consecuences..!!
mad.gif

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're a jackass. people make programs like bootmii for free, usign their hard earned time and energy to hand out great homebrew to people like you and I, then you start charging money for the simple steps of installing it? you clearly have appreciation for the scene do you?

xDarkElement

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys act like im trying to powersell bootmii on ebay. Which im not. Im just devoting my time, i dont see anything wrong with that.

Flare7642

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TidusWulf said:
you're a jackass. people make programs like bootmii for free, usign their hard earned time and energy to hand out great homebrew to people like you and I, then you start charging money for the simple steps of installing it? you clearly have appreciation for the scene do you?

The steps to softmod a Wii are not always as simple as you make them out to be. People new to the Wii Scene who do not even know what an IOS is should not be messing with their Wii without proper research. He is offering his services and taking full responsibility for any mistakes he may make altering their Wii.

Would you frown upon someone who lacks any experience paying another to hardmod a Wii?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1