Now tablets have handheld console like controls with 3D!

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wikipad-3d-android-tablet.jpg

Currently if you want 3D gaming on the go the Nintendo 3DS would be the first thing you think of. The console is doing really well now as sales of the device gather pace. Today we have news of the Android ICS running 3D WikiPad tablet that will take on the 3DS.
The name may confuse you and make you think it has something to do with the Wikipedia website, but it has nothing to do with it. What you have is the first Android Ice Cream Sandwich tablet that also features a glasses free 3D screen, and according to a report on Mobile Magazine it comes with a gaming dock attachment that can be seen in the image above.

This adds to the tablet a D-pad, dual analogue stick, four face buttons and even built-in speakers for your audio. This will mean you can load up classics such as GTA 3 from the Android Market, and could get even better as other classic titles are added.
Having 3D gaming on a tablet will appeal too many but unfortunately there isn’t a great deal of information on specs and pricing available at the moment. What is known is that is capable of 1080p HD playback in both 2D and 3D, and supports many formats such as FLV, H.264, ISO, VC1, VOB, and M2TS. It also has a mini HDMI port along with USB 2.0.

Storage wise it doesn’t come with much at only 8GB but luckily this is expandable up to 64GB via the microSD port. It is set to launch around the world in the spring and will be available online and from retailers. Head to the WikiPad website to find out more.

http://www.product-r...kes-on-the-3ds/

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My opinion: The tablets are mean to be for business and school. That's mean less papers is a priceless! Therefore, it doesn't interesting me at all. Why ? It is not mean to be for video games at all. Go with 3DS or PSVita.. They are video games portable. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course everyone is forgetting about Android emulators. Congratulations, you now have proper controls to suit them.

And "app games" aren't as bad as people make them out to be. There are shitty games (just like any console library) but there's certainly nothing wrong with playing like Cut the Rope or anything.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks good but tablets are not gaming consoles and should never be, they should be aids for students and for business use.

I have a tablet and I use it for neither. They're generally just cool devices for web browsing and such that are a bit more portable than a laptop and work well as an entertainment platform in general. There's some fun games on top of music capabilities, video capabilities (both via a video file or through streaming like Netflix or Hulu, as well as Youtube), eBook capabilities, and stuff like that. Plus you can nab some decent tablets for less than laptops. Like a Kindle Fire (which is said to be on the more high end scale of Android tablets) is only $200.

They're definitely not a "dedicated gaming platform" but we basically haven't had one since like the DS/DS Lite. The DSi had non-gaming features, the PSP had non-gaming features, and now the 3DS and Vita are introducing even more non-gaming features.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome now I can play Sonic CD and GTA 3 on the go properly now.
Could do with Xperia Play.

Arguably, only as a phone though which you'd probably need to have a plan for. If you didn't want a phone and also wanted a bigger screen/tablet features (if there's really any "tablet specific features" outside of a bigger screen), then this seems like an option.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're definitely not a "dedicated gaming platform" but we basically haven't had one since like the DS/DS Lite. The DSi had non-gaming features, the PSP had non-gaming features, and now the 3DS and Vita are introducing even more non-gaming features.
Well, now people are changing it to gaming/game focus handhelds whether then like phones that treat games as a after thought.
Which I believe what people meant by "dedicated gaming platform".

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I kind of like the idea of tablets with controls, but at the same time, you aren't going to leave your house with it.

I hate console gaming because of my TV's setup, and I don't like changing the input and turning on the console when I have a crappy setup and could use my time towards something more productive. This is a cool solution, because it can run games that a handheld couldn't without all of that hassle.... but at the same time I rather just play my 3DS because of the library, and I have the option to bring it where ever I want.

I don't know. Mixed feelings about this. Pretty cool I suppose.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Well, obviously, sooner or later, this had to happen. Whenever Nintendo comes up with a innovation, some smart ass wakes up and copies it. It's been going on forever, so, I'm not surprised. Just annoyed. People should try to make their brains work a lot more and create innovations themselves too, instead of just copying every new hit innovation that comes out... *sigh*

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, obviously, sooner or later, this had to happen. Whenever Nintendo comes up with a innovation, some smart ass wakes up and copies it. It's been going on forever, so, I'm not surprised. Just annoyed. People should try to make their brains work a lot more and create innovations themselves too, instead of just copying every new hit innovation that comes out... *sigh*
You're an idiot.
Controls are something people have been saying are "missing" from tablets and android as a gaming platform for ages. Now companies are adding them or making bluetooth addons for it and its copying Nintendo.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate console gaming because of my TV's setup, and I don't like changing the input and turning on the console when I have a crappy setup and could use my time towards something more productive. This is a cool solution, because it can run games that a handheld couldn't without all of that hassle.... but at the same time I rather just play my 3DS because of the library, and I have the option to bring it where ever I want.

Honestly, you can just buy a box to plug all your inputs into and then plug the box into the TV and easily switch inputs. I'm blanking on what it's called but there's plenty of them. Like I have my Xbox 360, Wii, and PS2 all hooked up to it and I basically just press a button to change inputs instead of fiddling with wires. Works fine and they're probably like $20.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
You're an idiot.
Controls are something people have been saying are "missing" from tablets and android as a gaming platform for ages. Now companies are adding them or making bluetooth addons for it and its copying Nintendo.

Thank you very much! But, I wasn't referring to the controls, but, to the glasses-free 3D screen. Although Nintendo didn't invent that, they've put it best to use, and now, someone else is copying that.

How come you misunderstood what I said for a rant about controls? I don't think Nintendo invented those.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots