Now Superhero films are cratering what fad do you expect next?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says the superhero fad that has gone on now for quite a while seems to have got itself a bit of a puncture, with several of the bigger players stumbling quite heavily and not really having any kind of consistency and nothing likely to reignite it either. The oldest on the site probably saw this happen for westerns, those before them probably had if not world war 2 then creature features. Action films similarly have their trends. I am sure we could also look at games for similar cycles.

While nobody can predict the future then there are things you can look at, and with films taking years to make you also have that too if you wanted to go down that path. I can't imagine adaptation or get lost is going to go away any time soon -- have there been any comics, any books, any games, any TV shows?
Do you imagine we will be seeing a Korean takeover of sorts similar to Hong Kong action -- South Korea has been doing good stuff for years (see Attack the Gas Station from 1999 if you can find it, many would have met Oldboy/Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance for the now many years ago options) is now increasingly doing amazingly. I mentioned comics above and while mainstream comics are more or less dead at this point are we going to see a bunch of manga (which is selling insane amounts -- saw reports last year of one manga outselling the entire US output of every mainstream comic) adaptations? If mainstream has failed in US comics then the independent stuff seems to be doing pretty well for itself and might prove ripe for the picking. Film production prices have dropped through the floor as well; see most TV, or cost of RED cameras which means we also see various oddities in Europe doing things that might previously not have made it far.
More cynically then most of the storylines for comics were seen in 80s and 90s comics and cartoons. Fashion goes in cycles and those with the spending power control what is seen. Do we do current year minus 20 and figure out what was popular then for what is likely to happen next? Several 80s and 90s action stars seem to have been dragged out of retirement, and aside from the expendables actually have done some pretty good things.

Similarly for bonus points then see if you can predict the next trend in horror films -- vampires, werewolves, zombies or other (maybe some kind of environmental fun and games)? Some have noted that the dominant politics can play a role (vampires = blood sucking elites, zombies = consumerist masses. Fear of those...).

To that end what do you imagine is going to be the next fad in films?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I mentioned comics above and while mainstream comics are more or less dead at this point are we going to see a bunch of manga (which is selling insane amounts -- saw reports last year of one manga outselling the entire US output of every mainstream comic) adaptations?
European comics.
We're getting Incal soon (directed by Taika Waititi, he seems to be popular lately), but there's a ton of material there for when Hollywood runs out of ideas again.
"Outselling the entire US output of comics" sounds impressive and insane but I checked the numbers on https://www.comichron.com/ and selling more than that says more about the poor state of the US comic book industry than it does about the popularity of the manga.

Original ideas are out of the question of course.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either soulless remakes that remove anything that made the original great or over the top documentaries on certain types of eccentric influential people through time (think Rocketman).

Both will fail in their own ways though.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Movies based on video games? I'm not sure how many are in production but it feels like the sort of thing that could easily become trendy next year.

Carlos_DobleC

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just hope that the next trend is videogames movies/series, because I don't need more shitty kpopers bothering on social networks.

It only brings casual, inexperienced players who practically demand easy modes and facilities adapted to their (lack of) abilities, but I've to choose the lesser evil xD

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't even know what will happen next... Maybe video game movies. Although that's already happened. Take The Witcher, for example. I've seen it a few times on 123movies. This is also on the video game filmed. Or the anime series Dota. There I fell out.
Witcher was already a legendary book series (or at least what passes for legendary for things written in Polish and not necessarily translated as quick as things in similar timeframes were) and had an existing TV show (2001/2002 see the hexer/ Wiedźmin) before the games became the juggernaut they are today.

As far as games into films... they have tried for years at this point for that. I doubt it will be the big thing that catches the eyes of the unwashed masses though outside of the few times they make a good one; they can barely adapt comics that basically are storyboards, possibly also with cartoons to watch as well. No chance of them consistently making something compelling out of interactive fiction (never mind the quality of most game writing) from where I sit -- for good game films we are what Prince of Persia for something maybe actually quality, few fighting game films for cheese (Mortal Kombat, I will stand up for Dead or Alive, Street Fighter maybe just about), Resident Evil for silliness, Tomb Raider maybe, Hitman I might stand to watch again, Silent Hill I keep coming back to as middle of the road horror but nothing like what the games pulled off. Cartoons/TV wise then Earthworm Jim, handful of Sonic efforts (to a lot of bad ones) and... I am drawing a blank, maybe a few anime but given Final Fantasy Unlimited... yeah.

Now bad and worse films based on games... we would be here all week.

Films that ape the sensibilities of computer games is a different matter, however for every Scott Pilgrim* or Free Guy we have a dozen Ready Player Ones or that episode of CSI Miami.

*relevant

though more seriously

European comics.
We're getting Incal soon (directed by Taika Waititi, he seems to be popular lately), but there's a ton of material there for when Hollywood runs out of ideas again.
"Outselling the entire US output of comics" sounds impressive and insane but I checked the numbers on https://www.comichron.com/ and selling more than that says more about the poor state of the US comic book industry than it does about the popularity of the manga.

Original ideas are out of the question of course.
Sorry had meant to emphasise the general failure of mainstream US comics these days more than I did.
I would bet on them doing American independent stuff (if Image comics survives the union nonsense then they have a bunch of stuff) before Europe.
There have been a few attempts in years past but even those that are unquestionably good tend to fail; still not sure how 2012 Dredd did not make all the money. Would mention Priest but that was apparently a Korean comic and Mutant Chronicles was a RPG/board game I guess which invites comparisons to Battleship and Dungeons and Dragons (granted I did not mind some of the sequels).

Will go another question then. TV has been kicking film in the nuts for several years now with awesome long form sci fi, fantasy and such. What do you think film will do to match those?

That or your best ideas for later cartoons/writing prompts you imagine from them. Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars, Mummies Alive, Recess, Rugrats... all getting gritty live action reboots.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still not convinced theatres will recover back to what they used to be, so it might not even be worth distinguishing between movies and tv anymore.

I don't mind whatever the next big thing is as long as it's not contagion/virus related.

Reactions: Flame

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes a TV miniseries and long film can be blurred, even more so when various distributors do different things with them presumably depending upon adverts/DVD release. However even going by UK standards where you get 6 1 hour episode things as a common occurrence, all usually telling a fairly self contained story, then it gets to be quite a different affair to a film which is the vast majority of the time going to be less than 2 and a half hours to tell a complete story. Go for US style 10-12 episodes, never mind 22-24, also generally being self contained and not even close.

As far as contagion/virus. There are certainly some but it is usually more of a plot device (virus/fungus/bacteria so zombies, vampires, werewolves, aliens...) than the end result. Even when it is its own thing it is still usually more of an excuse to do a trapped in the house/tower block/town, or maybe investigate abandoned place with jump scares and about 85% of the time "science has gone too far".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1