Now, or later?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blizeH, Mar 25, 2007.

Mar 25, 2007

Now, or later? by blizeH at 10:57 AM (913 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. blizeH
    OP

Member blizeH GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

My friend's got a Wii and is interested in modding, I've recommended the WiiKey since from what I gather from reading these forums it seems to be one of the better chips and will soon offer region free compatibility (or at least it's getting there).

Question is, are there going to be any significant advances in mod chips? I'm not sure exactly where they'd go from here, but he's not a very competent solderer so for example is there one that you can just screw/clip on on the horizon? Thanks

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First Wii region free can also be done by a patcher before burning, true region free will require Wii homebrew code though.

Most mod chips are exactly the same (updates seem to appear every so often that bring each chip in line), gamecube backup/homebrew is pretty much the deciding factor (multi disc support and so called audio fix).
    With regard to soldering there are a few with "quicksolder" (basically you align and pour molten solder down a hole) but I strongly advise against this route should you want to remove it again (say for instance when second gen modchips might appear).

3. kai445

Member kai445 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If I was going to put money on what current gen chip I think will progress the furthest, I'd put it on Wiip/OpenWii. Updates are currently frequent.

Chiip looks dead, WAB is dead, Wiiskas is ??, WiiFree is still alive, Wiid is a rumour.

Does anyone know what OpenWii's relationship with uTorrent is? openwii.utorrent.com

4. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    But the good thing with Chiip is, that it's extremely easy to build and you can flash the OpenWii-firmware to it.

5. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    go for the wiikey.

6. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Wiikey is the way to go man! (or woman [​IMG] ) Me and my 7 freinds bought one and we've had no issues so far and we're all luvin' it! [​IMG]

7. plexo

Member plexo GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ive installed 2 wiikeys, 3 wiifrees, 1 winbasic and a wiinja v2

id go for a wiifree to be honest may not be dvd upgradable but its still the best cheap chip around, i sell em preprogrammed £6 includes a socket, any support u need on installing and wire + solder. will also update it FREE as long as postage is paid both ways

install em for £30, choice of ur chip is £25 + cost of chip

if u dont wanna go for a wiifree wiikey is way to go