Not working right, not sure what to check next

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xtrem3x, Feb 19, 2017.

1. xtrem3x
    OP

xtrem3x Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2008
    Hi,
    I had a Wii a very long time ago and running backups worked great. I was here when the Wii was first hacked etc and was up to date with most stuff back then.

Anyway, I have just got a Wii again after approx 6 or 7 years and it's not working like my old one used to.

A few things wrong:

1) Backups sometimes don't load

2) When backups load, the first game takes ages (2 or 3 mins), then after that they all load a good speed until the Wii is rebooted and the first game takes ages again.

3) Sometimes backups crash after about 10 mins, just a black screen and I have to hold the power button.

4) Same behaviour with Gamecube backups if I go through a Backup loader. Just using Nintendont they seem to be ok, but still sometimes crash when loading or don't load at all.

I've tried USBloader GX and also USBloader_cfg. I get the same issues with both of them.

When modding the Wii I updated it to the latest update online, then used ModMii and followed the simple guide.

If anyone has ideas I would be grateful, here is a copy of my syscheck:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. John_Ice

John_Ice GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Here we go! Mama mia!
    Maybe the problem is your hard disk ??? Just through like that...

3. xtrem3x
    OP

xtrem3x Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2008
    Possibly, I haven't got another one to try at the moment. My USB3 drive isn't recognised by the Wii so I am using a 64GB USB3 stick.

It's just odd that the 1st game takes age, but after that when I select a game it is almost instantly loaded. That points to something else because if the HDD was the problem every game would take a long time

4. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    First, there were changes to the boot rom later on (you can no longer have bootmii in boot 2 (or something like that... memory hazy...). Also, boards for the optical drive have changed. iirc, older backup stuff required a disk in the drive, right? Perhaps after you play the first one, it doesn't physically check because you didn't physically swap the disk?

dunno... just spitballing... Mine is both soft and hard (chipped) modded, so I can play most disk backups at full speed without error. Only have a few games on an HDD and I don't recall if I ever played any of them through.

5. xtrem3x
    OP

xtrem3x Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2008
    Possibly.
    I will try another HDD tomorrow and just hope it's that for now. My first Wii was also chipped back in the day :D

6. xtrem3x
    OP

xtrem3x Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2008
    Tried a different HDD.
    It works :)

Odd that it worked before, but badly and now it works 100%, wouldn't have pegged that as an HDD problem but live & learn etc :)

Cheers!!

John_Ice likes this.