Not sure which modchip to get...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Louse76, Mar 3, 2007.

Mar 3, 2007
  1. Louse76
    OP

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Allrighty, from what I read here, it seems that the WiiKey is really the way to go. Is there really any reason I should go any other way?

And I'm going to buy from consolesource or modchipstore in the US. Any reason why I should go for one or the other? Which would get to me quicker? I live in Florida.

And I went by the forum's suggestion and found a guy that does XBOX modding on craigslist. He said it'd be $25 and I'd have to leave it with him overnight. Sound reasonable? I bet I could do it myself, but I don't want to take the chance...

Thanks for any and all input!

2. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You could try softmodding the xbox instead of having someone do it for you. All you need is a memory card and a disc that has an exploit on it like the original splinter cell. The you just download something like Krazies ndure and you then need to copy this to a memory card. Thats all the guy thats charging you $25 will probably be doing.

3. Ludvigsson

Newcomer Ludvigsson Member

Sweden
    I think he meant the XBOX-chipper guy will chip his wii........

4. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    The OP is talking about getting their Wii modded. They've found someone to do it from their advertisement for XBOX mods.

To the OP. Sounds like an OK deal, price seems good. Doesn't take very long to solder in though so if the installer isn't busy ask and maybe you can have it the same day?
    I do Wii chip installs with a 3 hour turnaround or a while you wait service.

I believe the WiiKey is the best commercial chip out at the moment, but I'm yet to try one.

5. 7llusion

Member 7llusion GBAtemp Regular

France
    Sorry of this is the wrong topic but, will Wiikey ever be able to support RW DVD, because wasting just 1 DVD for an update seems pretty useless...
    Illusion

6. xeorix

Newcomer xeorix Member

Sweden
    It allready does:

From wiikey.cn:
    Supports DVD-R / true DVD+R and +RW support (no bitsetting required!)

7. 7llusion

Member 7llusion GBAtemp Regular

France
    Well I think I'll get myself a Wiikey!
    What's better for France, Foundmy or EurAsia?
    The official thread isn't really updated.
    Illusion

8. Louse76
    OP

United States

I did mean that he would chip my Wii, but also I want him to flash my friend's xbox 360 drive. I thought for that one you had to take it apart and connect the SATA cable to a computer to flash the firmware... no?

What are you talking about? Could you give me a link with info?

9. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    I've got a cyclowiz but im gunna change it for a wiikey, i want a chip that can be upgraded.

10. Wuschmaster

Member Wuschmaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    None, all current modchips are rip-offs.

11. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Yeah, what is WiiKey rip-off off?

EDIT: Did you mean the price? [​IMG]

12. Louse76
    OP

United States
    He just told me that he prefers to keep it overnight so he does not feel rushed. I can understand that. It's likely he will want time to test etc, and I don't think he's done a Wii yet.

He also promised to buy me a new Wii if he bricks mine. I will be sure that I have all the pertinent information to make sure that this would happen.

13. Louse76
    OP

United States
    Maybe he's an angry game developer? [​IMG]

14. kai445

Member kai445 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wiip! is only $20 and free shipping, and looks pretty nice as far as drivechips go.

By comparison a Chiip is like $10-11 for parts & shipping and you still have to build it.

Both play Wii and GC backups, both boot GC homebrew, both have AudioFix, both are upgradable.

What other features do you want for the price and for being essentially first-generation? Only things I can think of are Region-Free (which they may support soon or in the future) and booting Wii homebrew (which probably wont happen until real modchips come out).

For

15. Alastair

Member Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I'd go the Wiinja from a moral perspective. It does really everything that all the others do but they were first. The Wiip is a good option IF your Wii supports it though.

Is the guy from Craig's List 'Timmy' on 34th (or 35th? I forgot) avenue? If so, I'd highly recommend him. Had 3 consols modded by him and no problems with any of them as well as a very friendly quick guy. I'm surprised about this 'overnight' business though...

16. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well if you're referring to Wiinja V1 then it doesn't do everything the competition (mainly WiiKey does)

I mean it couldn't be updated, had hardware incompatibility problems and even some DRE problems too, only when they announced the Wiinja Deluxe that it was on par with Wiikey but too little too late.. (3 revisions in less than two months, yeesh, great product indeed)

17. Louse76
    OP

United States
    Yeah, Wiinja isn't even in the running. Not with the issues with the first run and the fact that it's just on a silly little chip.

That and most products that I've seen that play on the ninja name aren't usually the best.