Apple not sure what to do about my firmware?

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i'm on factory firmware 3.1.3 and i really want to update. at some point i would also like to jailbreak but haven't done it yet so i need to ask

1 the best way to back up my blobs (lol ok still funny)
2 update to a firmware that would leave me able to jailbreak in the future (i.e. 4.0 etc) as i'm not sure how to go about this
3 is it really worth me jailbreaking and what would be the advantages

thanks in advance

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
1: Use tinyumbrella to back up your SHSH blobs (though once you have cydia installed that backs then up for you also)

2: The latest firmware is 'jailbreakable' (apart from ipad 2, but that's not you so it doesn't matter) so you can update through itunes, and then jailbreak (i use redsn0w, but i think sn0wbreeze is compatible with the latest firmware also)

3: Depends on what your looking to do. I personally love the tweaks/access having a jailbreak allows, so i have things such as sbsettings/androidlock on my ipod and too many to list on my ipad, being able to access the filesystem is also a big plus for me.

I highly recommend reading through this thread. It is very helpful.

EDIT: helps if i add the link to thread
dry.gif

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks jamesaa for that quick reply and yeh that's the sort of thing i would do too
rofl2.gif

i wanted to add i want to do it untethered (sorry i should have said) so is this still possible with the latest firmware too.

i will try with tinyumbrella but i'm sure i didn't have much luck last time (but i've slept since then)

well i'm the kind of gal that HAS to tweek everything and i think i've been good to have my ipod since march and not touch it (sorry i didn't say exactly what i had lol it's a 3rd gen 64gb)

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
All current jailbreaks are untethered so no problem there (though saying that my ipad was tethered at one stage and i only needed to reboot it a couple of times in the 4-5 months it was like that)

The newest Redsn0w will work on 4.3.3 (latest update) on your ipod just fine, if you check the thread i linked to above it has steps on how to do it, not i think it's that complicated anyway.

Your ipod has lasted longer than mine, when i got my 2g a couple of years ago it was jailbroken within 24 hours, my ipad lasted only 1 hour (that includes the drive back from the store
tongue.gif
) I must also tweak/mod everything in some way, even with my old ipod mini/colour/video i used theme hacks and rockbox on them. Only thing unaltered atm is my 3DS as there are no hacks for that yet.

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
jamesaa said:
All current jailbreaks are untethered so no problem there (though saying that my ipad was tethered at one stage and i only needed to reboot it a couple of times in the 4-5 months it was like that)

The newest Redsn0w will work on 4.3.3 (latest update) on your ipod just fine, if you check the thread i linked to above it has steps on how to do it, not i think it's that complicated anyway.

Your ipod has lasted longer than mine, when i got my 2g a couple of years ago it was jailbroken within 24 hours, my ipad lasted only 1 hour (that includes the drive back from the store
tongue.gif
) I must also tweak/mod everything in some way, even with my old ipod mini/colour/video i used theme hacks and rockbox on them. Only thing unaltered atm is my 3DS as there are no hacks for that yet.
sorry about not replying thanks for getting back to me jamesaa 'all untethered' woohoo. yeh thing is i'm on my ipod all day everyday and the charge catches me out at least once a day.
the information you have given me is ace but don't blame me if i'm back here lol
rofl2.gif

i think i've been really good about not jailbreaking and clearly i've gotten to the stage where 8gb of games/apps isn't enough
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

bow.gif

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass