Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
This is my first post, so give me luck:

I formatted my 320g hard drive:

1. ~260g fat32 for my files, ect.
2. 50 for WBFS.

when i format the 2nd fat32 partition to wbfs, the wii will not read the device (on usb loaders : usb loader GX, Waninkoko usb loader.)

when i format the drive using the wii, my computer won't read it.

using EU wii, 4.0, non lu64.
help will be appreciated.

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
You need to have the WBFS partition as number one. And 320gig? Two partitions 260 and 50? Thats 310GB Wheres your other 10gig?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Teh H4rRy said:
You need to have the WBFS partition as number one. And 320gig? Two partitions 260 and 50? Thats 310GB Wheres your other 10gig?
Meep, wrong answer. FAT32 has to be the first one, so you can also use it with some Homebrew Apps. A few (or many) can only recognize the FAT32-Partition if it's the first one.

Now, I would say:
-Get GParted (LiveCD/USB)
-Delete/Format your whole USB-Drive (just to make it clean...make shure it's the right one
tongue.gif
)
-Make two FAT32 Partitions. IMPORTANT: First one will STAY FAT32, second one will be WBFS.
--> ev. give them a nice Name
wink.gif

-Format the second one via the latest official USBLoader by Wanin
-Try again

This should realy work, at least it does for me. My OSes (Ubuntu, XP, Vista) all recognizes the FAT32 Partition, and the WBFS is showed as unused space, like it should be. If this won't work, format it via an WBFS Manager (so from your PC), or check for the "Primary/Active", etc.-Thing...but if you use GParted, you can't do much wrong...

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A lot of hard disk space always gets lost in the binarydecimal conversion (manufacturers label with decimal Gigabytes, 1000*1000*1000 = 10^9 = 1 000 000 000 bytes, whereas most operating systems use binary Gibibytes, 1024*1024*1024 = 2^30 = 1 073 741 824 bytes) and in formatting (the partition table and the file systems take some space themselves).

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Teh H4rRy said:
Meep, wrong answer. I would say: Get GParted (LiveCD/USB),make two FAT32 Partitions. IMPORTANT: First one will STAY FAT 32, second one will be WBFS.

Then where did i hear that the WBFS partition had to be the first, argh. When i create my WBFS file systems I dont give it a file system, just a letter. Then use the manager to make the file system.

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
MaK11-12 said:
Oh, i though that ~(a number) means approximatelly.

anyways, i'll try it out and feedback. plus, if i use ubuntu, will make any difference?

The partition editor in Ubuntu and Gparted are the same i think, I used it.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Teh H4rRy said:
MaK11-12 said:
Oh, i though that ~(a number) means approximatelly.

anyways, i'll try it out and feedback. plus, if i use ubuntu, will make any difference?

The partition editor in Ubuntu and Gparted are the same i think, I used it.
Yup, they are. Good luck
smile.gif

MaK11-12

OP
Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
Ok, i'm on Ubuntu, i'm on GParted but it shows one partition (despite there allready being 2 partitions) and says that its unallocated! I have precious files on my first partition, isn't there another way? plus, Ubuntu can acces my hard drive as normal.

Thanks

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
MaK11-12 said:
Ok, i'm on Ubuntu, i'm on GParted but it shows one partition (despite there allready being 2 partitions) and says that its unallocated! I have precious files on my first partition, isn't there another way? plus, Ubuntu can acces my hard drive as normal.

Thanks
Can you make a Screenshot? I think I get what you mean, but to be 100% shure...(there's an App for Screenshots already installed).

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
MaK11-12 said:
Here you go:

*snip*

sorry for the wait.
Hm...that strange...where are the other 20 GB? That's too much loose...

Anyways, looks like you formated both Partitions to WBFS, and GParted thinks that there's only unused Space (all WBFS partitions are always unused Space). I'm sorry, but it looks like your Data is lost...
frown.gif
. I don't think that any recovery programm could help here...sorry.

You can now make the two FAT32 Partitions, if you want...

MaK11-12

OP
Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
Itlooks like it, but if you look in the corner of the screenshot, where it says 'MAKS files' , thats me looking at my files on the hard drive. i have only formmatted the second partition, the first partition has all my data and has not been formatted to WBFS.

ps. about the 20gb, i was just giving an aproximate, the size of the drive makes no difference to the problem.

Teh H4rRy

Trophies
XP
Country
This is very strange, Wait. You have to Unmount a drive before you can format and partition it, now i remember, try unmounting it in the partition editor

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
MaK11-12 said:
Itlooks like it, but if you look in the corner of the screenshot, where it says 'MAKS files' , thats me looking at my files on the hard drive. i have only formmatted the second partition, the first partition has all my data and has not been formatted to WBFS.

ps. about the 20gb, i was just giving an aproximate, the size of the drive makes no difference to the problem.
Mhm...now, I would say that you should try to Backup your Files first, and then make that unused Space to a new FAT32 Partition. And then format it via Loader 1.5...

But that's realy strange...you only can select this Drive and your HD in the Selection, right? Strange...

MaK11-12

OP
Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
ok, i'll backup my files, thanks!

but could'nt someone swap libwbfs with libfat in the usb loader or something.

edit: it works with windows, but the problem occurs as i said in the first post.

MaK11-12

OP
Trophies
Website
www.deltabeard.com
XP
Country
After a couple of formats on different windows systems and many chdisks' , my hd is finally working the way i wanted it to.
Apparently there was a bad sector, and all of my files (exept for my wii files - the ones in the apps director, ect. (ironic)) was deleted. It must have been a format by beta software.

Thanks for you're help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr