Not every Pokémon will be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Although I can somehow understand his "reasons", this is a really really bad decision and in my mind they had enough time and man-power to include "em all".
    At least Charmander and Mew are in there so I might give it a shot nevertheless.
    But I think they will do something about this with all fans complaining.
    I mean look how fast they reacted to the fact you can't play SMM2 online with friends. And yeah, Banjo is in Smash now too, so ...

2. MYFW

MYFW GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    Ok, and...?

3. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    I know pokemon has been doing that for competitive play, the problem is, at home you can still play with any cards. And playing the older game is not comparable here. You would still have all your cards in one place and be able to build a deck from all of them. But the older games do not support gen 8 pokemon and since gen 8 will not support some older pokemon, you essentially have a permanent split, and there are combinations of teams you can never make. The thing is, i'm not much of a competitive player nor do i spend that much time building teams, but this isn't as much about about what i do as what i'm limited to doing. I am biased here, as I work as a programmer and lack of backwards compatibility is annoying even outside of games and it upsets me to see anything doping it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think Masuda said there will never be a pokemon game that support all pokemon ever again. If the next game had them all this wouldn't be such a big deal.

Taleweaver likes this.
  4. pasc

pasc Newbie

Hmm... I didn't know there was a superlative to "most disapponted"

5. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    Just wait for next year, when ultra sword en ultra shield come along with ALL pokemon, we all know it is coming seeing nintendo has bad practices.

I honestly still am surprised how nintendo fanboys can defend the company, hardware from 2011 sold for 10x the price, bad support of controllers and games (patches destroying compatibility with 3rd party controllers), bullshit "sales" on their e-shop (zelda, now 65 euro instead of 70! WHAT A STEAL!), refreshing the line-up of their handhelds (switch is a handheld, NOT a console, if that was the case, the PSP was also a console, you can hook that up to your TV as well) so your old device is obsolete, not to mention the aggresive handling of copyright on media and sites.

The company is truly sickening, and a shame not many see it.

DuoForce and Nekomaru like this.
  6. Agahniim

Agahniim Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2019
    Belgium
    This thread is full of entitled gamurs demanding the game to fit their needs. Play with some new mons for once will ya?

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    honestly im not too fussed, i know they will have all the major popular pokemon, over the years there has been a big amount of dupe pokemon and trash pokemon that clog up the pokedex, im sure everyone will know a few pokemon that make you go "urgh, that design is so dumb" thinks like garbodor, vanillish, Chandelure,klefki i know some people will probably like them or say they had some unique battle style or some shit, but it does start to feel like pokemon has turned into pokerandomthings we saw while looking around the office for new idea

i guess its time for some to go to the pokemon retirement home

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 14, 2019
  8. Agahniim

Agahniim Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2019
    Belgium
    first gen pokemon: eggs, pokeballs, garbage (grimer/muk). is this not random to you? just take an ordinary rat and slap purple on it? raticate is really just a big rat. every gen has its stinkers, but we forgive the first couple of generations because of nostalgia. klefki is just one mon from gen vi. there's also greninja and delphox. very ironically you tell others are old, while it is most certainly you that is blinded by childhood nostalgia

9. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Aug 6, 2018
    Japan
    Shibuya
    I personally dont see the problem it gives you a fresh start so stop your bitching and just play the damn game or dont buy it and not ruin it for those that will enjoy the experience.

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah but there does become a difference when you just start lumping inanimate objects into the mix, chandeliers an ice cream and a set of keys :wacko:, i would say grimer and muk go into that realm, but i guess its possible you could have some sludge covered sewer dweler, it also comes down to "dupe" like every generation has added a new bulbasaur squirtle and charmander starter set

idk i guess what im getting at is that maybe a little cull could be good to clear up the roaster a little, i wouldn't mind a new pokemon with all new pokemon and zero original pokemon available, things get a little stale when everyone just gravitates to "ahhhh i will recreate my team from pokemon blue and swap out the legendary birds for whatever the new legendary pokemon are"

Agahniim likes this.
  11. jupitteer

jupitteer idk what i'm doing

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Subcon
    Delay the game until they can do that. There isn't really an excuse for this except laziness and desire to rush out a game.

12. Lokaijz

Lokaijz Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2016
  13. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    This is... I actually have no words to resume this.

For collectionners, this is a huge drawback. Not being able to carry their beloved mons they had since RSE. Not being able to bring back shinies they were lucky to catch in those versions. Giving up all the personal attachment they had to some pokes simply because Game Freak didn't deem them worthy of appearing in their newest game.

Their excuses hold no water. You can't cry that "we need to reduce the number to have better animations/quality" when the models and animations are outright imported from the previous games with a shader on them. You can't cry about balancing issues where there are already tools in place (in-game checks for pirated pokes, restriction to this gen's pokes and moves for tourmanent-useable pokes) to take care of that. You can't tell people "you will still be able to use them in the Bank-like utility we sell on the side" when they want to use them on the main game. That's avoiding the problem.

I approve the players' move to try and #BringBackNationalDex , but it won't be listened as Game Freak only cares about using the licence to make more money. The only exception would be if, like the complaints that actually brought a change, Game Freak or Nintendo's shareholders would be politely alerted that such a decision could impact their sales, which is easily done by adding the companies' stock market code (good thing they actually share the same one, NTDOY) like you would add a hashtag to your posts (except with a $ in place of the #).

The release is coming near, but this decision will hurt the sales unless they come back on it.

DarthDub, JoeStronger and erikas like this.
  14. bixxewoscht

bixxewoscht GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I understand that this is dissapointing for Pokemon Veterans, but it might even be a breath of fresh air.
    A new adventure with new Pokemon to discover and no way to use the same Pokemon again that you use for 20 years.

Personally I like the 1. and 2. gen Games way more than the newer ones, but I want to give these ones a try to kind of recreate the feeling that I had with gen 1. and 2. when I played them for the first time.

I doubt that I will love the new games but I'll give them a chance.

15. MarcusCarter

MarcusCarter Furret Freek

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Johto Pokemon Fan Club
    Also somewhat relevant:

16. Cubuss
    This message by Cubuss has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 16, 2019, Reason: Not image board.
    Jun 14, 2019
  17. Burorī

Burorī GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2018
    Belgium
    They can recycle models and animations like they did for Pokémon GO

18. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Cue nerd rage

19. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2003
    Netherlands
    Uuuuu
    It's a bad decision but as long as mimikyu is available i'm good.

20. pasc

pasc Newbie

Thats the problem with gaming/development these days:

Companies get away with that kind of Cr4#, so they keep doing it.

Even in the DS days, they had to deliver finished products.

Nowadays ? Wherrrr iz dat 45 gb day one patch ?

Kind of selfish reasoning really. Then again, thats how people usually work.

If peole were smart, they'd boycott this game on release, until they'd reverse their "decision"

Last edited Jun 14, 2019
  21. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    I hope GameFreak will never make your favorite Pokemon playable again.

Paranoid V and Dartz150 like this.