Not every Pokémon will be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Spookimuchi

Spookimuchi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    I keep seeing the tag #bringbacknationaldex and it makes me sad, even as someone who's never traded between games, seeing a good majority of the fan base out them on this is a pain to watch. There's just no excuse for this, especially if the models are being ripped from gen 6.

2. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Reboot is how I took it as well. I feel for the hardcore Pokemon base, but also understand where Game Freak is coming from having accumulated a somewhat unsustainable number of Pokemon species. This is certainly going to cheese off a huge swath of lifelong fans, myself included somewhat, but it doesn't really affect the approach and limited commitment I personally usually put into a mainline Pokemon release, so still intent on buying it.

3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the saddest part is pokemon go will have more pokemons catchable than sword and shield lol.

DuoForce likes this.
  4. NancyDS

NancyDS GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2018
    Venezuela
    No more 3D models and Gen 6/7 animations for these games!

Now, these games will have HD models of Pokémon GO and with better animations than in Gen 6/7!

5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the sad part is pokemon go has all pokemons from gen 1 to 4 so its almost 500 pokemon models all done hd with textures and yet they are only bringing back under 131 old gen pokemons so yes pokemon Go will have more avalable pokemons than the next mainline games lol.

6. hug0-a7x

hug0-a7x GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2013
    Brazil
    Watch the trailer for Dragon Quest Monster Joker and understand why the next Pokémon does not have all the Pokémon available.

banjo2 likes this.
  7. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    Like I said, it's subjective, but I agree with the sentiment of the majority that Gen 1 is one of the worst: almost as linear as Gen 6, with far less pokémon variety, crappy combat (pretty much no Dragons, Psychic > all), trash legendaries (Zapdos is at least OK)... in summary, it thrives on nostalgia and good pokemon art design, but it's overhyped as Fck. But Gen 6 is even worse.

You may be entitled to your opinion, but as for me and most of the world, we have quite a different one.
    Either way, what matters is that we have fun.

Back on the main topic, although their excuse is valid, the execution is severely lacking. With the time they had and the """"future-proof"""" models from the previous games, they should have all pokes in OR top notch graphics on what didn't get cut, game textures and draw range included.

We got NEITHER.

And that's what pisses me off about this announcement.

Last edited by AlexMCS, Jun 16, 2019
    TLOZmaster likes this.
  8. CTR640

CTR640 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2018
    Netherlands
    The biggest bullshit every in the existence of Pokémon. The ones who designed this idea suffers from brain damage.
    Gotta catch some of 'em.

9. MalikTH

MalikTH Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2016
    United States
    I'm sure they can. After all, the Pokemon franchise has literally gained billions of dollars in profits over the past decade or so. I can't possibly see how they wouldn't be able to do this.

Pluupy, Ra1d and DarthDub like this.
  10. Conan-kun

Conan-kun Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    United States
    Earth
    Yea, I would be pissed if I was big into pokemon still. I know it's upset my younger brother and sister, I guess we'll see what comes of all of this. :/

11. Lumian

Lumian Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2019
    United States
    ...Meanwhile, I am COMPLETELY okay with this turn of events. Having played every single Pokemon since Pokemon Red/Blue/Green I have already played the absolute crap out of every pokemon in existence. If scaling down the number of monsters makes the combat more fair, balanced, and fun and gives them more time to add more interesting features I welcome the experiment.

12. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    Meh, i see from where people come being frustrated over it but personaly i'm not so moved. I mean, sure as fuck Nintendo failed with "futureproof" models and promises of next game after LGPE being directed to older fans but personaly i will not be affected by it at all because i'm not interested in online play... but even for online players, removing lesser valuable stuff like freaking Unown or Ledyba and some broken shit like most mythics is win situation lol. Ironicaly online play with smaller pool of Pokemon, but without all these broken staples can have way more variety.

13. SapphireExile

SapphireExile Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    United States
    Plant City, FL
    Yes. For one, not all animations are compatible with all engines. The animations from Sapphire and Ruby have 0 chance of working in X/Y for example. Different motion, different roots, different rigs, etc.

Next, animations are not easy. Especially blended animations, which are virtually required in 3D games. At best, I can crank out 15 unique, high quality animations a day. Nintendo animators can most likely do more, but not a minimum of 1800 animations (900 Pokemon, idle and attack animations) in any short period of time. You also need to account for file size. Do you really want to download a 100gb+ Pokemon game?

You also have the issues of model vs animation time. You can't really create high quality animations without the model being fleshed out first. So now the animation team is waiting for the modeling team, and the texture team is waiting on the modeling team as well.

It's not as simple as "It worked in the past, just reuse it", it's "I need to retarget and remaster every model and rig, then I need to test the animation in engine, then I need to see what can go wrong with the animation (What if I take damage on the same frame an attack animation fires?).

Even if they could reuse previous animations and models, you're back at file size. Almost immediately you would bypass the cartridge, and for digital download, you're fucked.

14. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    How much data does an animation take? Aren't the models themselves the largest part of the data chunk?
    Really curious here, since my only reference is Guilty Gear Xrd, that has an entire 3h animated movie inside, other than the in-game animations, and it isn't even 12GB large on my HDD. I really doubt this game would even exceed 40GB, not to mention 100GB.

Also, you're assuming it's a completely different new engine, but I don't really think it is.

15. SapphireExile

SapphireExile Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    United States
    Plant City, FL
    Each animation by itself is relatively small. I average 7mb a piece on mine.

I haven't personally played guilty gear, but if it's a movie, meaning prerendere, that can take as little as 300mb. Videos are much easier to compress and store.

For asset file size, it really depends. I have singular textures that are 85mb in size alone, but I also have textures that are mere kilobytes.

My personal models, optimized, come in around 4mb a piece, with the more complex things at 15mb. Mind you this is desktop game development, so switch/ mobile will most likely be smaller.

I can't link the source, as I don't remember it, but last I seen was that S&S come in around 22gb.

Audio takes up a large chunk by itself, then usually textures. Models come after, then the actual code base.

So if my source was correct, and that 22gb is just the base game + S&S Pokemon alone, then to maintain quality, the addition of other Pokemon would raise that linearly.

My source could easily be wrong, so take that with a grain of salt.

Once the games are actually out, I'll extract the data from it, and see exactly the size of everything, and let you know just how large the game would be if every Pokemon was included.

16. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    but the models were literally the same. except for i think a cat pokemon that had it's ears fixed between two games and a couple of slight color corrections.
    the engines also didn't change significantly, they kept on tweeking the one from x/y and I'd be very much surprised if sword or shield was any different.

100gb? are you're thinking of exported rendered movies or what?
    like, you get they're not playing movies for those animations, right? what's saved to the cart is instructions on how to move the rigs of the models. infinitely smaller than an animation like a gif or whatever.

models and textures are already done. from what I remember, on the 3ds, they averaged ~300-400kb per pokemon. even if they upressed the textures and quadrupled the size and shinies and gender differences where completely separate models, we'd still only talk like 5-6gb for that data.

And that's a huge if. The models have been done for years. they were made from x/y on specifically to be used and reused later on a system with much better graphical capabilities. that's why we had 8!! games where the battles kept dropping frames and where doubles looked really terrible. granted, textures were likely worked on a bit for the new games, but from what we've seen, they mostly added non-dynamic shading and some bright highlighting.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Jun 16, 2019
  17. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    Pluupy likes this.
  18. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    @SapphireExile - I think that you don't get it so lets make it short.
    - There's a huge difference between Sprites and models so please don't mix them up like that.
    - The models in 3DS games were ABSOLUTELY PURPOSEFULY made in way too high quality for that hardware, mostly to make them "futureproof" i.e. useable in later games on more powerful hardware.
    - Most 3D graphic enviroments these days are pretty similiar and porting models from one to another is just matter of converting, copy-pasting and checking if everything runs fine, which makes it realy trivial job. Also Gamefreak has access to Pokemon data in raw, uncompressed state so it's not that they need to write it all again - They just need to take into consideration new tables for moves, abilities and shits and upgrade all with new stuff.
    - They said outright that they were working on this project from when USUM was deep into advertisement campaign, which means that they had A FREAKING LOT of time to do it all. And with TWO full group of developers and multiple workers out of these group AND pretty much billions of dollars they have A FREAKING LOT of manpower and resources. And it's not that lack of all Pokemon is their biggest problem - Demo presented on E3 was in horrible state with multiple cases of lack of polish and poorly made graphics... and no "But it was demo!" is not an answer because this is the state that they wanted to show us the game, it's what they consider worth of showing us these times which is plain wrong.

Basicaly i'm questioning who actualy is working on Sw/Sh because neither the original team led by Masuda nor SM/USUM team led by Ohmori seems to be that incompetent. It's like they grabbed random programists from the street lel.

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  19. gundamu

gundamu GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Canada
    it will not make any balance any better lmao you'll be foolish to think so and i also highly doubt you used all the pokemon in competitive battles
    let's have a look at a balance scenario
    if pokemon A is overpowered and the strongest, followed by pokemon B and pokemon C

removing A would not suddenly make the game balanced, since now B/C would dominate the meta
    its like a hydra you cut of one head, another one pops

20. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Why didn't they just do what they did with Pokemon Black and White with the forest things? This is a step backwards.