Not every Pokémon will be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    All this talk about pay DLC. It is almost like you want them to be in more hot water. lol

Silent_Gunner and Xzi like this.
  2. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Aug 6, 2018
    Japan
    Shibuya
    Just call me Natsumi not Wikihacker in truth it was all i could think up until i put my name under the wikihacker name

3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    yeah lol, people already will need to pay for pokemon bank and then pay for nintendo online subscription just to get pokemons into the home to transfer what they can to the base game, let alone pay for dlc for the abilty to transfer some more lol.

4. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Spain
    They are saying that they want to make the Pokémon better looking and more charismatic, also I feel like they want to shake the meta of the competitive scene up by not including some older Pokémon. I feel like a future Pokémon game for the switch will have all the pokemon in it as big selling point, "Finally, you can catch them all!"

5. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, it has been the same formula ever since gen1. Unless you count Pokemon XD as mainline, gen8 is the first time they're changing things up in any meaningful way.

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    shacking up the metagame lol, they will probably cut pokemons that arent popular like ledian, beedril and sunflora and let the powerful ones wich are also popular be in still, im preety sure they will base their choices with online usage of pokemons in past gens to see who made the cut.

7. NancyDS

NancyDS GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2018
    Venezuela
    Why do not they just put the National Dex in Pokémon Sword and Shield?

Maybe we'll use Cheats to catch the missing Pokémon or a Save Editor for games.

or better yet, when we pass the Galar Pokémon League, we will get the National Dex and we can fight with the other Pokémon, hahaha

Last edited by NancyDS, Jun 15, 2019
  8. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    That is the problem I believe. They seem always seemed to focus on increasing the amount of pokemon rather than drastically changing any gameplay mechanics.

Budsixz and Xzi like this.
  9. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Initially I was like wtf.... having remembered a similar thing with Ruby & Sapphire as I mentioned yesterday, but mulling over it for a bit and I agree with the decision: Gen 4 was for me the last one I bothered to 'catch em all' on, having started to transfer on Black & White but becoming quickly bored - it's just too much of a chore, and also you're transferring over half the Pokemon rather than catching them, THEN using those over the ones you caught since they were OP...
    Like has been said this would at least give the new Pokemon more of a spotlight rather than just waiting, for the 3rd Gen in a row in my opinion, for the earliest time you can transfer your big boys over..

To combat this, a simple Pokedex 3D remake for your National Dex needs, which perhaps awards you bonus items to linked games after you reach a certain number, etc, might be a good idea for release next year - you could catch em all on that. Then maybe as I said before, once all animations/models are finished a new Stadium - just for battling, and maybe some IV training or summat, using your Pokemon from the National Dex app...

Last edited by mightymuffy, Jun 15, 2019
  10. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I think they might not even be programming in the missing Pokémon. Let's Go didn't have any Pokémon in the games files besides Kanto ones and Meltan and Melmetal.

There's absolutely no reason to have Pokémon missing from the programming so they can push this stupid Dynamax gimmick nobody wants. Should've just left in Megas and Z-moves and come up with a more interesting gimmick.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jun 15, 2019
  11. NancyDS

NancyDS GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2018
    Venezuela
    Well, the National Dex is the best that the Regional Dex, since they show all the Pokémon, not like the Regional Dex that only show some Pokémon of the region.

Maybe Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, will have a free update where they will include all the Pokémon of the National Dex, it is not known when that update was released.

I think it will also have an update similar to that in Pokémon Sword and Shield.

12. Mamothstard

Mamothstard Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Hell no.

Yes, they must have a high polycount sculpt that they can reuse for every 3D game nowadays. But still, you have to go from retopology, to skin, to rig and to animate.
    You can't just copy/paste that's just not how that works.
    Even if you could you'd need to be sure all your engines are cross compatible in terms of how they handle 3D assets.
    They're running on friggin Unity or Unreal as far as I know.

13. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Why should they have to drastically change the way the games work? That's what spinoffs are for, and Pokémon, like most other Nintendo franchises, has plenty of those, in virtually every genre. You might as well claim that Halo is becoming stale because it's always "shoot the bad guys in a 3D environment", so the next game in the series should be drastically changed to become a 2D puzzle platformer, or that Mario is becoming stale because it's always "progress through the level and jump on the baddies' heads three times to beat them", so the next game should be drastically changed to become a party game (hey, that did that - in a spinoff!). Pokémon's core formula - catch monsters, grow them into bigger monsters, in a team of six monsters where each one has four moves (with Z-moves in gen 7, they technically had access to five), battle other monsters and monster tamers along the way - is rock solid, works really well, and is one of the main reasons why the series is so popular (besides the sheer amount of options in how you're going to build your team, from monsters to moves to equipment).

14. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    Team Skull was a lot more meaningful and had a lot more fights and presence than Team Flare. Also, Team Skull was just another front for the dark side of Aether, so you got TWO meaningful teams in Sun/Moon, compared to the PoS that was team Flare, in both design and objectives.

X/Y was extremely linear too, with a weak story, terrible "rivals" and the easiest progression ever. You get 2 starters, 2 choices of Megas handed to you (2nd starter + Lucario) and the Box Legendary just from normal progress. Toss in that random Gible -> Garchomp you can easily catch before the power plant and the game becomes so stupidly easy (far more than any entry in the series, before or after it) that it gets boring.
    It's absolutely insane that you have to actually nuzlocke or heavily limit yourself, WITHOUT any grinding, for the game to even have a modicum of challenge.

Of course, that is all (mostly) subjective, but there is NO WAY IN HELL X/Y is overall better than Sun/Moon. And I believe that sentiment is shared by the vast majority of players.

I call BS on your claim that people find Sun/Moon the worst.
    Gen 6. is CONSISTENTLY the worst of bottom 2. Other than that, it's often below gen 7.

So, I "just looked online", and the results are as expected:

All I searched for was "worst pokemon gen".

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/187276-pokemon-sun/74604908 - Gen 6 vs. Gen 7

-Among all gens:
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/187276-pokemon-sun/74754006
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/210930-pokemon-ultra-sun/75521046

-Outside gamefaqs:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5m02o5/rank_the_pokemon_generations_from_best_to_worst/
    http://whatculture.com/gaming/every-pokemon-generation-ranked-from-worst-to-best?page=3
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-pokemon-games-ranked/

15. Exaltys

Exaltys GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2009
    United States
    Black and White was when the game started going downhill. Too many helper friend NPCs, random healing spots from enemy trainers, friend NPCs come out of nowhere and give you a random item and leave with no significance to plot, and more.

16. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I mostly don't buy extra potions and such for any Pokemon games. I end up either using just or mostly the ones I collected during the game. lol

17. GreywormJohn

GreywormJohn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    China
    Well, that's bad news

18. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    I just realized, it won't be that bad in a way...

All Legendaries
    All starters
    All known competitive pokemon
    All famous pokemon
    All cool looking pokemon

They could put all of these kinds of pokemon for the Galar dex and then a good majority won't complain, and there still is not much to animate. This way they could add better in depth animations as well. Still a bummer, but this is a good alternative.

19. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    If this is true, maybe they aren't so set in leaving behind old Pokemon. I've seen "no plans" become plans before from companies.

That said, the fact that they even have to think about is disappointing.

20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    gamefak pools are nothing to go by, x,Y sold better and if you compile all critical clains it has highers values than sun and moon, and also lol those pools saying 1 and 5 gen are worse than 6 or 7 is ridiculous.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

with only 131 returning pokemons they cant fit those all in lol, remenber pre evolutions take a slot aswhell so adding grachomp counts to 3 already so 800 something to 131 its a big ass cut.