Not every Pokémon will be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Chile
    Lazy Freak never fails to disappoint.
    And each Pokemon game will continue to be worse and have less content than the last one as long as you keep buying them.
    And sadly Pokemon fans are the easiest to please and will swallo any shit with the Pokemon logo on it.

DuoForce, DarthDub and WiikeyHacker like this.
  2. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    IV’s, Ev’s, Nature, Item Holding, Physical Sweeper, Special Sweeper, Mixed Sweeper, Tank, Abilities, Type Coverage, Entry Hazards, Lead, Crippler, Physical Tank, Special Tank, Move Choice, Team Building to cover weaknesses......

Last edited by SG854, Jun 15, 2019
    DuoForce likes this.
  3. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Aug 6, 2018
    Japan
    Shibuya
    This is further proving my point on why this game is played by the wrong people. I couldn't care less about iv/evs or whatever i just play the game beat the then sell it. end of discussion.

4. 00technocolor00

00technocolor00 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2015
    United States
    [​IMG]'I- I dont feel so good...'

While I dont agree with this but I understand. I think a lot of pokemon esp from older games need some stat changes and givin good moves. Like Pelipper got. (Castform is one I think is particularly neat but isnt usable cus its so weak. Ive tried.) Theres limits to how much can fit on a switch cart. Maybe they can be part of an update later on :/

5. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Then don’t complain about the game battle system being too simplistic. And praise other games for having depth. Then when I give you reasons on how it can be more engaging you then back away and say I don’t care about any of that. So the Pokémon game is perfect for you right since it’s simplistic and you can play casually and never come back to it again.

6. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Game Freak is infamous for laziness. The core mechanics themselves haven't really changed since the original glitchy mess that was the Game Boy Gen 1 release. Never mind with Masuda as producer, pretty much means we're going to have some pretty esoteric requirements for some specific sub-quests. Forget Pokemon that only show up once a week, that dude would make the rumor mill that got people to try to glitch to the truck outside of the SS Anne's tile-set in Gen 1 look pedestrian. Or did everyone conveniently forget the asinine requirements listed to get to the Regi's in Or/As?

Dynamax can be done with a simple scaling operation on the models/etc, and then programming moves accordingly. Removing megas and z-moves for it? that is a load of horse. And I'm not referring to zebstrika here.

There is no need for them to "program" 800+ pokemon. The program just loads the model for the 'mon, lets you pick the attacks and keeps track of which moves it's able to learn naturally, via TM, tutor, egg move, so on.

Game Freak however, are infamous for taking lazy cop-outs. They get privy to the SDK's of new console and handheld hardware faster than anyone but Nintendo internally. Yet they can't be arsed to give full speed 3D mode on the 3DS, and cop out of it by simply disabling 3D support altogether in successive games. Sakurai of Smash had better looking models at a faster frame-rate and input lag even with 3D enabled. GF and everyone there have Minus Infinity excuses to validate this dick move on their part.

DuoForce and DarthDub like this.
  7. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Well Pokemon is dead to me now. I'm sick of Gamefreak culling out GOOD and FUN features and either not replacign them with anything or their replacements being worse.

Yes lets remove this feature that lets some Pokemon be USABLE and get a cool new look and replace it with "Magic wand make my monster grow!" with no meaningful visual change or anything really interesting about it besides "Big monsters!"

On top of them now selectively deciding which of our Pokemon we've collected and trained over the years we're allowed to even bring to new games.

Like I'll still collect the cards and play the side games but I'm not support Lamefreak anymore.

DuoForce and Japermen like this.
  8. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    I really hope that they either overturn this decision and add everyone back in, or they have some way of letting us continue to use our collections.

I've been playing the series in order from the beginning, using emulation and some tools to import my team from one generation to the next, mainly so I could get around the Gen III disconnect. (Yeah, if you import a save file from Gen I and II into certain programs, they can convert the data into a working Gen III equivalent) I've just finished Emerald, and I have Colosseum, XD, and either Fire Red or Leaf Green as far as Gen III goes, to try and get as many of my missing spots filled in before starting Gen IV.

I know at this rate it's going to be quite a while before it affects me, but it's really going to suck when I eventually get to Sword/Shield and all of my collecting is for naught. I mean, yes, I can always just import my compatible ones only, but I'm still going to have several hundred Pokemon that I can't do anything with. I know that a lot of people were complaining about things like Sun/Moon making it too easy to over-level, but I was honestly figuring that it would be helpful in getting my low-level Pokemon caught up more easily.

If Pokemon Home ends up being a one-way trip and essentially a glorified trophy case, then I'm not really sure what the point is. If they were going to do this, they should have just gone with "full reboot" and just stuck with only the new ones. The only way that I can see them salvaging this without going back on what they've said would be if they actually go with the pseudo-MMO route and have some sort of central open-world game or something where the point is no longer transferring everything to each new game, but transferring the new teams from each new game into this central game, and having it updated accordingly each time.

I honestly wouldn't mind something like Pokemon Box/Bank/Home for free, and then a monthly subscription for an open-world expansion to give you something to do with the stored Pokemon. Hell, it doesn't even need to really be open-world. Make it something like an airport and let people travel to Let's Go-styled rebuilds of each Region. (Let's Go-styled meaning 3D versions, not catching/gameplay mechanics)

DuoForce likes this.
  9. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    There are people who think all video games are for children, and you'd be hard pressed to change their minds. Besides, children are able to adapt to and overcome difficult games anyway. Dark Souls has nothing on Battletoads and The Lion King, which are the type of games I was powering through as kid. Hell, I probably had more patience for difficulty spikes back then than I do now.

Though I do agree that kids today are spoiled on creatively bankrupt garbage like Fortnite.

True, Pokemon is one of those franchises that's only as deep as you make it.

Last edited by Xzi, Jun 15, 2019
    Memoir likes this.
  10. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    High Level PvP Pokémon can be harder than any of the games WiikeyHacker mentioned, but for casual play, literally anyone can beat it.

WiikeyHacker and Xzi like this.
  11. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Eh, I wouldn't say red/blue/yellow(green too I guess) are hard, but I would not say a kid could easily beat them, for casuals these days they would be too "hard".

Xzi likes this.
  12. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    This is true, I sold some dead AA batteries for $20 once because they were Pikachu branded.

KingVamp and Xzi like this.
  13. madmert9

madmert9 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2018
    Turkey
    They didn't have to waste their time with something called "Dynamax".It was enough to adapt all of the pokemons to Switch from 3DS.They also say there are lots of pokemons and that's why they don't add all of them.I would rather playing with Sun & Moon Pokedex instead of new Pokemons.

14. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    They did all that work, only for a lot of people to prefer Megas and Z-moves anyway.

Xzi likes this.
  15. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    All they had to do was give a select number of new and old Pokemon armored evolutions, and import the rest as is. People would've been perfectly happy with that, even if mega evolutions and Z-moves were excluded. I have no idea where the hell the idea for Dynamax came from, it's like they spun a wheel or drew from a hat. "You know what the words 'sword' and 'shield' bring to mind? Godzilla!"

Last edited by Xzi, Jun 15, 2019
  16. ertaboy356b

ertaboy356b GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    I hope they revise the EV IV system.

17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    sun and moon are the worst pokemon games, just look online and you will find lots of people ha to force themselves to finish them, the evil team was so dumb lol and their base attack had zero wow factor i take gen 6 over any day.

for me its

gen2>gen1>gen4>gen5>gen6>gen3>gen7

yeah i wasnt a fan of 3 either, dont know why maybe because of the water routes and the backtracking? no idea even when i was a kid i was like meh gen 3.

18. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Good job Game Freak. It's not like they already have my animations and models for 800 Pokémon they could just reuse. They need to atop trying to reinvent the series because all they're doing is messing it up. Even Black and White which had no non-Unova Pokémon natively let you transfer the older ones.

19. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    The 2nd generation was when I last enjoyed Pkmn. Ever since it just feels like they're rehashing the same games with increasingly weird-looking pokefreaks.

Xzi likes this.
  20. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Aug 6, 2018
    Japan
    Shibuya
    ok i agree with fortnite that game is casual cancer.