"Not Enough Free Space!!" (ASAP)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by WiiFan2012, Mar 17, 2010.

Mar 17, 2010
  1. WiiFan2012
    OP

Member WiiFan2012 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a external hard drive with three partitions all formated to NTFS. When I try to install a game, it says not enough free space, and under it, it has "0.00 of the 149GB used." I know I haven't used all of my space, because I just partitioned it tonight.

I also did a search and first page turned nothing up.

2. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Most of the USB Loaders treat NTFS partitions as read-only. Only GX has write support, and it apparently has a high probability of corrupting your data.

We are told (by members of the GX team) that this is caused by bugs in GX rather than the new libntfs, so we might try making an experimental writable-ntfs version of Cfg soon to see if those claims are correct. For now, your best approach would be to copy your games to another partition, reformat one of the partitions to FAT32 (this tool will do it for you), and then you will get your install capability back.

3. ACDCGAMER

Member ACDCGAMER GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I suggest formatting one of your partitions to WBFS using the WBFS Manager program, and installing your games onto that partition that way; works perfectly fine for me. Wait, is WBFS considered the best format to install games on, as not only is it supported by a bunch of USB loaders, but it also takes out the dummy data from the ISOs to save space?

4. WiiFan2012
    OP

Member WiiFan2012 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    EDIT: Nevermind, still says that error....

5. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    FAT is better for new installations. In addition to taking out the dummy data the same way that WBFS does, it also allows you to easily move the files to another drive without any special apps. You just copy and paste them. And you can defrag the drive.

However, if you already have a WBFS drive, those points are not really that compelling enough to switch.