North Korea probably not behind Sony attack, says security analyst

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, i know Sony wants netflix to ban ppl using VPN and the government is trying to pass draconian online surveillance law as well as the TPP so it is quite possible that this attack will be used to push new laws that will cripple ppl's freedom over the internet.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i know Sony wants netflix to ban ppl using VPN and the government is trying to pass draconian online surveillance law as well as the TPP so it is quite possible that this attack will be used to push new laws that will cripple ppl's freedom over the internet.

yup obama just made a statement in his address that confirms it 30 minutes ago

bama- "we've been coordinating with the private sector but a lot more needs to be done we are not even close to where we need to be aaand one of the things in the new year that i hope congress is prepared to work with us on is strong cyber security laws that allow for information sharing across private sector platforms as well as the public sector so that we are incorporating best practices and preventing these attacks from happening in the 1st place umm but even as we get better you know the hackers are gonna get better too some of them are going to be state actors some of them are going to be nonstate actors umm all of them are going to be sophisticated and many of then can do some damage. we can not have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the united states(thats our job) because if somebody is able to intimidate folks out of releasing a satirical movie imagine what they start doing when they see a documentary that they dont like or news reports that they dont like umm or even worse imagine if producers and distributors and others start engaging in self censorship because they don't want to offend the sensibilities uhh of somebodys whos sensibilities probably need to be offended umm sooo thats not who we are thats not what america is about umm again i am sympathetic that sony as a private company was worried about liabilities and this and that and the other i wish they had spoken to me 1st i would have told them do not get into a pattern in which you are intimidated by these kinds of criminal attacks umm imagine if instead of it being a cyber threat somebody had broken into their offices and destroyed uhh a bunch of uhh computers aaand stolen discs and is that what it takes for suddenly for you to pull the plug on something umm so so we'll engage with not just the film industry but the news industry and uhh the private sector uhh around these issues uhh we already have we will continue to do so uhh but i think all of us have to anticipate occasionally there are going to be breeches like this they are going to be costly they are going to be serious uhh we take them uhh with the utmost seriousness uhh but we can't start changing our patters of behavior anymore then uhh we stop going to a football game because there might be uhh the possibility of a terrorist attack anymore than boston didn't run it's marathon this year because of the possibilty that somebody might try to cause harm uhh so uhh lets not get into that way of doing business uhh so
i've got a long list of movies i am going to be watching uhh uhh you know i never release my my full movie list umm but uhh but lets lets talk of the specifics of what we now know of the FBI announced today and we can confirm that north korea engaged in this attack uhh i mean it says something interesting about north korea that they decided to have the state mount an all out assault on a movie studio because of a satirical movie starring seth rogen and james flaco uhh i love seth and i love and i love uhh james uhh but the notion that that was a threat to them i think gives you some sense of of the kind of regime we are talking about here uhh they caused a lot of damage aaand we will respond uhh we will respond proportionally and we will respond uhh in a place and time uhh and manner uhh that we chose uhh it's not something that i will announce uhh here today at a press conference umm more broadly though this points to the need for us to work with the international community to start setting up some very clear rules of the road in terms of how the internet aaand uhh cyber operates,uhh right now it's sort of the wild west and part of the problem is you've got weak states that can uhh engage in these kinds of attacks uhh you've got non state actors that can do enormous damage uhh thats part of what makes uhh this issue of cyber security so so urgent uhh again this is a part of the reason why it's going to be so important for congress to work with us and get an actual bill passed that allows for the kind of information sharing we need uhh because uhh you know if if, if we dont put in place the kind of architecture that can prevent these attacks from taking place this is not going to be just affecting movies this is going to be effecting our entire economy in ways that are extraordinarily significant "

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yup obama just made a statement in his address that confirms it 30 minutes ago

bama- "we've been coordinating with the private sector but a lot more needs to be done we are not even close to where we need to be aaand one of the things in the new year that i hope congress is prepared to work with us on is strong cyber security laws that allow for information sharing across private sector platforms as well as the public sector so that we are incorporating best practices and preventing these attacks from happening in the 1st place umm but even as we get better you know the hackers are gonna get better too some of them are going to be state actors some of them are going to be nonstate actors umm all of them are going to be sophisticated and many of then can do some damage. we can not have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the united states(thats our job) because if somebody is able to intimidate folks out of releasing a satirical movie imagine what they start doing when they see a documentary that they dont like or news reports that they dont like umm or even worse imagine if producers and distributors and others start engaging in self censorship because they don't want to offend the sensibilities uhh of somebodys whos sensibilities probably need to be offended umm sooo thats not who we are thats not what america is about umm again i am sympathetic that sony as a private company was worried about liabilities and this and that and the other i wish they had spoken to me 1st i would have told them do not get into a pattern in which you are intimidated by these kinds of criminal attacks umm imagine if instead of it being a cyber threat somebody had broken into their offices and destroyed uhh a bunch of uhh computers aaand stolen discs and is that what it takes for suddenly for you to pull the plug on something umm so so we'll engage with not just the film industry but the news industry and uhh the private sector uhh around these issues uhh we already have we will continue to do so uhh but i think all of us have to anticipate occasionally there are going to be breeches like this they are going to be costly they are going to be serious uhh we take them uhh with the utmost seriousness uhh but we can't start changing our patters of behavior anymore then uhh we stop going to a football game because there might be uhh the possibility of a terrorist attack anymore than boston didn't run it's marathon this year because of the possibilty that somebody might try to cause harm uhh so uhh lets not get into that way of doing business uhh so
i've got a long list of movies i am going to be watching uhh uhh you know i never release my my full movie list umm but uhh but lets lets talk of the specifics of what we now know of the FBI announced today and we can confirm that north korea engaged in this attack uhh i mean it says something interesting about north korea that they decided to have the state mount an all out assault on a movie studio because of a satirical movie starring seth rogen and james flaco uhh i love seth and i love and i love uhh james uhh but the notion that that was a threat to them i think gives you some sense of of the kind of regime we are talking about here uhh they caused a lot of damage aaand we will respond uhh we will respond proportionally and we will respond uhh in a place and time uhh and manner uhh that we chose uhh it's not something that i will announce uhh here today at a press conference umm more broadly though this points to the need for us to work with the international community to start setting up some very clear rules of the road in terms of how the internet aaand uhh cyber operates,uhh right now it's sort of the wild west and part of the problem is you've got weak states that can uhh engage in these kinds of attacks uhh you've got non state actors that can do enormous damage uhh thats part of what makes uhh this issue of cyber security so so urgent uhh again this is a part of the reason why it's going to be so important for congress to work with us and get an actual bill passed that allows for the kind of information sharing we need uhh because uhh you know if if, if we dont put in place the kind of architecture that can prevent these attacks from taking place this is not going to be just affecting movies this is going to be effecting our entire economy in ways that are extraordinarily significant "

Damn, thats a lot of text lol
Anyways, im glad in Canada we have manage to stop most of these draconian laws thx to groups like openmedia.
that stupid prime minister, Harper, is bending over for the US as much as he can coz hes in love with the US (hes in the wrong country imo lol) and would like Canada be a copy of the US . . .
if the US don't rally enough country to pass the same laws and they are the only country under heavy surveillance than the internet will just reroute itself around it and it would hurt the US economy a lot . . . so unless other countries don't get in on it it will never happen imo so we all need to fight it as much as we can while we still can . . .

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Called it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sony-hack/fbi-says-north-korea-was-behind-sony-hack-n271686

Of course Sony wasn't behind this. Even putting aside the BS, "piracy = lost profits" argument, they still lost a lot of profits because of this. Also, there are social security numbers of both star actors and Sony staff all over the web. That conspiracy theory was never plausible.

Also it is causing a war

breaking_news_kim_jong_un_has_launched_his_jets_540 (1).jpg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also it is causing a war

View attachment 13097
Lol. The only ridiculous part of this is that the FBI didn't release this information sooner (although it should have been obvious to everyone). If it was confirmed that North Korea was behind the attack, theater chains would have just ignored their empty threats. Just as the US has always ignored North Korea's bullshit.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. The only ridiculous part of this is that the FBI didn't release this information sooner (although it should have been obvious to everyone). If it was confirmed that North Korea was behind the attack, theater chains would have just ignored their empty threats. Just as the US has always ignored North Korea's bullshit.

NK (& communist countries in general) always bluff to crate scare in the west (Cuba missel scare for example)

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They definitely have internet, it's just extremely censored and...spread a bit thin, I guess you could say. It used to be for high ranking gov. officials, however it supposedly has expanded a bit to other citizens. They also now have 3G access, though it's strictly for phone calls and no outside internet access :unsure:

That sounds more like intranet than internet.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

yodamerlin

Bok bok.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please. What good is North Korea in investigating an issue of cyber-security? Right after the hack happened, they said things like, "how could we have possibly hacked something in the US, it's all the way across the ocean!" Just another round of feigning ignorance/innocence. The FBI wouldn't have fingered them without solid proof.

North Korea are not the ones behind the attack. The FBI would point the finger at them because it is a) very convenient, b) they cannot keep saying "China did it", and c) it means the US now has a proper excuse to attack.

In the end, nothing is going to happen, Sony will be recovering, more leaks but nothing will come of it. Maybe after 4 years of investigation there will be an arrest, but for now, unless the FBI can show evidence that can't be disregarded so quickly, it seems unlikely.

Reactions: weatMod

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
North Korea are not the ones behind the attack. The FBI would point the finger at them because it is a) very convenient, b) they cannot keep saying "China did it", and c) it means the US now has a proper excuse to attack.

In the end, nothing is going to happen, Sony will be recovering, more leaks but nothing will come of it. Maybe after 4 years of investigation there will be an arrest, but for now, unless the FBI can show evidence that can't be disregarded so quickly, it seems unlikely.
Lol. Enough with the conspiracy theories. It was North Korea. We're already asking for aid from China to shut down North Korea's ability to carry out such attacks in the future. We're already making moves, so clearly nobody is "quickly disregarding" the FBI.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/20/world/asia/north-korea-sony-response/

"As the FBI made clear, we are confident the North Korean government is responsible for this destructive attack. We stand by this conclusion. The government of North Korea has a long history of denying responsibility for destructive and provocative actions. If the North Korean government wants to help, they can admit their culpability and compensate Sony for the damages this attack caused."

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Sony is supposedly "hacked" by NK
2. Sony pulls The Interview from theaters
3. The internet rages "OMG I WANTED TO SEE IT" :angry:
4. Sony brings the movie back
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sony-says-it-will-stream-interview-starting-today-n274401
Considering it'll be released in digital formats, pirates will be able to see the movie the same day without it being a crappy camcorder version. Not as much profit as you'd expect. Then again, it's the first time (to my knowledge) a movie's been released in the theatres and in another format at the same time, so who knows?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE