War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
"An embargo just lifted for a bunch of Star Ocean: The Last Hope media. I gave it glance and didn’t notice anything special. Pesmerga00 who has been following the game very closely did (thanks for the tip!!). It’s subtle, but it appears Square Enix is erasing anything anime in the English release of Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Look at these battle screenshots and focus on the character portraits. The Japanese version (top) has anime faces while the English version (bottom) has CG models.

sob2.jpg

sob1.jpg

Even more noticeable are the menu differences. The Japanese version has colorful character silhouettes while the English build has a lot of… blue. The status screen and character icons use the CG models too.

English version menus

somen1.jpg
somen2.jpg

Japanese version menus

sojmen1.jpg
sojmen2.jpg

Pesmerga00 also discovered the character portraits accompanying dialogue vanished in the English version. I couldn’t find a good comparison screen in my batch of media, but going by the other changes I wouldn’t be surprised to see those removed too.

sf5.jpg

Why would Square Enix do this? Probably to make Star Ocean: The Last Hope look more sci-fi or something."

Source

Posts merged

I realize this is in the wrong section, my laptop just went crazy on me. Sorry!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joey Ravn said:
If you ask me, I like the CG models better. They fit better into the game, IMO. The drawn portraits are a little too cutesy
tongue.gif
I agree.. and I think the Mona Lisa would look better with Short hair.[/sarcasm]

You don't go changing someones art because you think it looks better.
While I agree with you that it's 'a little too cutesy' and doesn't fit as well as the GC models, it's still changing content.
Things like this is why I got into fansubbed anime, the companies that released here would change the story to 'make it better'.
Better is really a subjective term, especially when it deals with someone else's work.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pissed about this one >_>, i LOVED the anime feel of the game (and it was probally gonna make me feel more at home, since Star Ocean 3 was pretty anime-ish, and i consider that the best PS2 game ever)
But maybe they are gonna pull a Tales Of Hearts and give us a CG/Anime version, or maybe its a DLC that you can download on day 1 to change back between CG and Anime? Personally the Anime versions seem more appealing to me >_>, more vibrant and colorful. We are already gonna be looking at the CG models for 50+ hours of gameplay.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joey Ravn said:
If you ask me, I like the CG models better. They fit better into the game, IMO. The drawn portraits are a little too cutesy
tongue.gif
You are the reason things like this happen to games. Stop playing all your Haloz and your Call of Doodies and start appreciating video games.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Doesn't affect game play, so who cares. Its still the same game.
Wrong, it's not the same game. It completely changes a games entire mood. Would Kirby games be the same game if every Kirby sprite was replaced with pissed off eyes and a frown? No.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sonicandtails said:
dinofan01 said:
Doesn't affect game play, so who cares. Its still the same game.
Wrong, it's not the same game. It completely changes a games entire mood. Would Kirby games be the same game if every Kirby sprite was replaced with pissed off eyes and a frown? No.
... No, it doesn't. The in game characters still look the same. Its just the icons and menu that are different. Your comparison to Kirby is completely wrong then. It would still be the same game if the icons were different.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like both but the anime art style is better maybe since I like the cuter animated art styles over the more realistic art styles. What ever floats your boat I guess.

ForceDevice

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
dinofan01 said:
Its just the icons and menu that are different.

Eh... it seems someone didn't notice the US version will have no character portraits at all along with dialogue boxes. And that changes the mood of the game quite a bit, if you ask me.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, this completely changed the mood for me. Just looking at the screenshots if i didnt know that they were both Star Ocean, i would probally think they were different games. The japanese one just feels so vibrant, and exciting, and welcoming and warm. But the english one seems westernized, and cold and 3d >_>. I mean sheesh, the little 3d pictures next to each characters stats in-battle looks completely horrible compared to the anime versions. I mean, it draws you in, and makes the game have a bit more of a light hearted feel to it (i know it isnt susposed to, but it helps ALOT). And.....i just cant describe it.....i dont think i will have as much of an experience compared to Star Ocean 3 with this >_>.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dgwillia said:
Seriously, this completely changed the mood for me. Just looking at the screenshots if i didnt know that they were both Star Ocean, i would probally think they were different games. The japanese one just feels so vibrant, and exciting, and welcoming and warm. But the english one seems westernized, and cold and 3d >_>. I mean sheesh, the little 3d pictures next to each characters stats in-battle looks completely horrible compared to the anime versions. I mean, it draws you in, and makes the game have a bit more of a light hearted feel to it (i know it isnt susposed to, but it helps ALOT). And.....i just cant describe it.....i dont think i will have as much of an experience compared to Star Ocean 3 with this >_>.
To tell you the truth, I feel the same way. The Japanese one makes everything feel so lively but the English one is so dull.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Joey Ravn said:
tongue.gif

I agree.. and I think the Mona Lisa would look better with Short hair.[/sarcasm]

You don't go changing someones art because you think it looks better.
While I agree with you that it's 'a little too cutesy' and doesn't fit as well as the GC models, it's still changing content.
Things like this is why I got into fansubbed anime, the companies that released here would change the story to 'make it better'.
Better is really a subjective term, especially when it deals with someone else's work.

You could save your sarcasm and, you know, actually read my post. Is there anything else I could have done to make you understand it was MY F***ING opinion? You say "better is a subjective term", yet you try to make me look like Hitler for not liking what you like.

QUOTE(Sonicandtails @ Feb 7 2009, 09:38 PM)
*snip*

And you're just a troll. I'll tell you the same I told twiztidsinz: grow up and accept people have opinions. If you need to resort to a strawman to prove your point, you're only showing how ignorant and biased you are. I like the CG models better. You have a problem with that? Good for you.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah >_>, and if Square Enix does change this, i got a feeling they are gonna lose even more fans (maybe about as many as they did on the FF13/360 announcement day), this is just going too far >_>.

I heard on gamefaqs though that the localizers for this game have gotten so many complaints about this (a few of them have even responded directly to some of the people), that they dont know whats gonna happen. And the game still isnt gold yet, So we have a chance to change this injustice if we protest it.
I wouldnt even care if they gave us a DLC a few days after release, i just refuse to support a JRPG that isnt a JRPG >_>.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
The English version looks really boring to me. I would much rather play the Japanese version. Sure, it has overwhored animu models, but at least it gives you something new to look at. The NA version is just so meh.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.....its just not the same feel. Its like they are trying to make it feel Sci-fi and generic. When the Anime style was way better. I mean, we are way more used to it, most RPG's are anime styled, and personally i enjoy those types over games like Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Oddysey. (Star Ocean 3 and Radiata Stories ftw)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM