ROM Hack Nora to Toki no Koubou: Kiri no Mori no Majo (J) translation

Blackiris.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wonder: Are there still people interested in doing this project?
As you might have seen, I've been playing around a bit with the ROM to get into the hacking process, but actually I'm more interested in translating games than hacking them (though I would love to be able to do both).

I've managed to extract what I think are the main scenario scripts located in the data/scn/adv folder. Totally there are 1642 files (minus 1612 and 1613 which were left out or removed from the game) that contain about 131,000 characters of text. That was just a rough calculation, though, and I'm not sure if I'm correct.

This does not include NPC dialogues / monologues, system text or stuff like the Item Book, though.

I'd like to revive this project because Nora really seems to be a fine game (with a splendid soundtrack by Michiko Naruke). There's lots of text to be translated, but not more than in your average RPG, I think. I've played it for one or two hours now, and although my Japanese skills still need a lot improving, Nora strikes me as doable. I've just translated the first file (~650 characters) as a test, and aside from some game-related terms that need discussing, I didn't find it particularly challenging. (I've only played the beginning of the game so far, though!)

tl;dr: I'd like to offer my services as a translator to this project, but I'm only willing to do this as a part of an active and motivated team. This includes at least a ROM hacker who is interested into seeing this project being finished someday. Preferably also an editor because even though I'm relatively confident in my English, it is not my native language, so small mistakes and phrases that could sound more natural will inevitably occur. Of course more translators would always be nice, but those are hard to find (or so I've heard). I might be able to get one or two other people who understand Japanese interested in this project, though!

(If we manage to assemble a team, we should probably create a new topic instead of using this, I guess.)

Edit: Short update: Seems like I was wrong and the NPC texts are included in the 1642 files. It might not be so much more than the initial text + descriptions and battle text after all.

Last edited by Blackiris.,
Reactions: Greymane and GHANMI

Blackiris.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think I might even be able to get the hacking done by myself. Still learning a ton of things and have a few problems to fix, but I'm progressing well and can now insert all of the dialogue text and some of the system text:

4pmajm7i.jpg
xjpbmv5q.jpg
3losp3ly.jpg
yr5ca2n8.jpg

Blackiris.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
After pausing my work on Nora for a couple of days due to exams and stuff, I've resumed working on it again. Since my work has nothing to do with the person who originally created this topic, I will make a new one soon with a detailed progress description. All I can say that its progressing smoothly right now despite some issues that still need solving, but it will take at least a couple of months for the translation work to be finished as long as I'm working alone on this project. (Well, that's no surprise, I guess.)

One thing that bothers me is that emulators don't particularly seem to like Nora. I've tried DeSmuME and No$gba. DeSmuME won't even load the game, not even the unmodified ROM, and I've encountered some crashes when playing with No$gba, probably unrelated to the modifications I did to the ROM. I hope it plays more smoothly on an actual flash card. If not, I'm not sure its worth working on a translation for a game that's not even running properly. We'll see.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I tried desmume latest version 0.9.12 and it booted with no problems, played for like half an hour without crashes and saved the game normally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16