NOOOO! MY R4!!!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by matrix121391, Aug 10, 2008.

Aug 10, 2008

NOOOO! MY R4!!! by matrix121391 at 8:25 AM (1,068 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. matrix121391
    OP

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I spring insert for the SD card is broken... I liked that feature... but now its gone. Is there a way to fix it? I've been planning to move onto a new card anyway. Maybe this is a sign... But before I spend $50 on a CycloDS, I just want to know, is it fixable?

2. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Yeah, there are tutorials on how to open your R4 and take the spring out. I don't know where to find them though. Maybe YouTube.

3. o RedSheLL x

Member o RedSheLL x GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ya there are, my R4 spring broke and I was soo depressed, I was actually thinking about getting an upgrade earlier tht day and now I had a reason to [​IMG].

4. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Fixable? Yes. Should you? Nope; time for an upgrade. You won't regret it.

5. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    nope u won't regreat an upgrade
    i used to have a r4ds which i sold it for £50 then i bought a m3 real perfect bundle for £35
    and im loving it

6. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    I suggest not getting the R4 and if you already have one, you really should think about getting a new flashcard, there are plenty of flashcards out there that are far cheaper and have better support, compatibility and features. The R4 has stopped being manufactured which means that it has reached the end of its life. You can expect only minor updates if any at all from the R4 team though right now, it doesn't look promising.

Several games, even some that came out over a year ago don't work on the R4. Also many newer games coming out have problems on the R4 either not running the game at all or the game is extremely buggy and freeze often. Also games with the new save type are not supported on the R4 so any games coming out with the new save type will not save. Also there are a few homebrew apps that have trouble on the R4 as well.

The R4 overall, is extremely limited and buggy. The cheat system has many flaws and can cause games to freeze or simply nt work when using cheats on some games. Also a few cheat types are not supported leaving you with a good many cheats not working on the R4. Also the R4 limits the number of cheats and games that gets displayed on the cheats page.

So basically, the R4 is on life support ans has been for quite a long time now. Many newer flashcards have surpassed the R4 in many ways, including compatibility. The R4 is showing its age, thanks to hardware limitations (The R4 Firmware not being flashable), features like SDHC support and many others can never be added. The R4 was a fine cart when it first came out, but now its just an old, over prices flashcard.

I also want to know that the R4 has many clones as well, some supporting SDHC cards. These are not enhanced R4s nor improved, they simply had the hardware added to support SDHC cards while the loader/firmware they use is the exact same as the real R4DS byte to byte. This means that the clones have the same problems of the real R4DS and if the R4DS stops getting updated, so will the clones. So the R4 Upgrade V2, N5, R4DS III and so on are just all cheat knockoffs and should be avoided at all costs as the R4 Team is planning one last update that will brick the clones and possibly the DS that they are on.

7. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    man i hate reading long replies
    XD

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    CycloDS = Good
    R4 = Bad

That's all you need to know.

9. matrix121391
    OP

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thank you all for your answers. I am planning on ordering a CycloDS by the end of the day.