Android Nook Color VS Kindle Fire VS HP Touchpad

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for an Android tablet for no more than $200 - $240 dollars. I know there are much better tablets out there (Transformer Prime is what I WISH I could get) but I'm down to these three budget tabs.

I used to own the Nook Color a few months ago, but ICS wasn't out yet. I'm wanting to get a tablet that can run ICS decently. I know the CM9 roms are buggy and in alpha stages but it's okay.

I'm thinking about getting the Nook again but it had some problems with n64oid last I checked (with CM7 though) and I don't know if the other two can get to higher speeds. (Nook only gets to 1200 stable)

Which is the better tablet for the money? Which tablet has the most active development in ICS roms?

Oh, and I just use it for basic stuff, like web browsing and maybe GBA emulation and a few games like World of Goo (arm7, btw). No Gameloft games or anything like that (though it'd be nice just to say that I can.)

Thank you for any input, it's appreciated.

edit: Actually, I'm leaning the most towards the Kindle Fire. It just looks and runs so damn pretty in youtube videos. No netflix is a shame but I have a 3DS and Wii I use for that.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I myself have an HP Touchpad with CM7 on it (CM9 is available for it but I'm just too afraid to upgrade...hah). I find it runs great and I haven't had any major problems that weren't my fault. If you have the option to pick one up I'd suggest doing so despite what people say about it. It is quite the nifty tablet when Android is on it. I can manage to play most N64 games and PS1 games so performance wise it's not bad of a tablet. Can also play GTA3 with only a little bit of lag but it isn't too noticeable.

I must admit, however, I haven't had any experiences with the other tablets you mentioned so I wouldn't know how they fare against the HP Touchpad...

EDIT: You can view the progress of ICS for the Touchpad here if you wish: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18843-releasealpha2-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CM9 alpha 2 runs great on the TP and even supports Netflix. So far the only app that hasn't run correctly is Pac Man CE, which has messed up graphics. The other 2 dozen or so apps I've tried have worked perfectly. The problem is finding a TP for a reasonable price.

I don't have either of the other tablets, but I know a lot of people online have been disappointed in the fire for being "underpowered", but that could just be unrealistic expectations.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not the Acer Iconia A100, has a 7inch screen, and Tegra 2 Dual Core processor with 1GB of RAM. Comes with Honeycomb, and has an official ICS update for it already which runs perfectly(since its official).

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I myself have an HP Touchpad with CM7 on it (CM9 is available for it but I'm just too afraid to upgrade...hah). I find it runs great and I haven't had any major problems that weren't my fault. If you have the option to pick one up I'd suggest doing so despite what people say about it. It is quite the nifty tablet when Android is on it. I can manage to play most N64 games and PS1 games so performance wise it's not bad of a tablet. Can also play GTA3 with only a little bit of lag but it isn't too noticeable.

I must admit, however, I haven't had any experiences with the other tablets you mentioned so I wouldn't know how they fare against the HP Touchpad...

EDIT: You can view the progress of ICS for the Touchpad here if you wish: http://rootzwiki.com...mod-9-touchpad/
GTA3, that's pretty nice I'd say. If I end up getting enough for one, I'd like to. The screen size is pretty nice too.

You should probably be comparing the Nook Tablet to the Kindle Fire, not the Nook Color. I'm not sure which would be better for you, just look into both of them.
Ah, that's right! They didn't have a nook tablet when I had a nook color. I forgot. I'll look into it! It looks like it's pretty similar to the fire except the nook has expandable storage and the fire is stuck with 8gb.

CM9 alpha 2 runs great on the TP and even supports Netflix. So far the only app that hasn't run correctly is Pac Man CE, which has messed up graphics. The other 2 dozen or so apps I've tried have worked perfectly. The problem is finding a TP for a reasonable price.

I don't have either of the other tablets, but I know a lot of people online have been disappointed in the fire for being "underpowered", but that could just be unrealistic expectations.

Netflix would be nice to have, but it isn't needed for me. The only video I'd really need is basic SD youtube.
Then again there's the more expensive price tag on the touchpad.

So I guess I'm stuck between the Kindle Fire (cheaper than the NT when they're both almost the same) and the touchpad. (more expensive but has more to offer so far)

I guess it depends on how much money I get for my birthday. (:
Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming!

Why not the Acer Iconia A100, has a 7inch screen, and Tegra 2 Dual Core processor with 1GB of RAM. Comes with Honeycomb, and has an official ICS update for it already which runs perfectly(since its official).
That's out of my price range... :/

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should probably be comparing the Nook Tablet to the Kindle Fire, not the Nook Color. I'm not sure which would be better for you, just look into both of them.
Ah, that's right! They didn't have a nook tablet when I had a nook color. I forgot. I'll look into it! It looks like it's pretty similar to the fire except the nook has expandable storage and the fire is stuck with 8gb.
The Nook Tablet actually has slightly better specs than the Kindle Fire (1GB RAM, 8GB more internal storage, better screen), and the Nook Color is getting replaced with an 8GB Nook Tablet soon (although it will have 512MB RAM).

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EDIT: You can view the progress of ICS for the Touchpad here if you wish: http://rootzwiki.com...mod-9-touchpad/
GTA3, that's pretty nice I'd say. If I end up getting enough for one, I'd like to. The screen size is pretty nice too.

Netflix would be nice to have, but it isn't needed for me. The only video I'd really need is basic SD youtube.
Then again there's the more expensive price tag on the touchpad.

So I guess I'm stuck between the Kindle Fire (cheaper than the NT when they're both almost the same) and the touchpad. (more expensive but has more to offer so far)

I guess it depends on how much money I get for my birthday. (:
Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming!

That's out of my price range... :/
Dam I bought mine for $190 on Black Friday at BestBuy.

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've finally decided on getting the HP Touchpad with CM9 alpha 2.
It's a little bit more expensive but I guess it will be better in the long run. Better video playback / Netflix (I've decided I want it after all P:)
I'll be getting the 16gb version. It has a micro-sd card slot, right?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a little bit more expensive but I guess it will be better in the long run. Better video playback / Netflix (I've decided I want it after all P:)

It doesn't have a microsd slot, no.

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It doesn't have a microsd slot, no.
Ah, damn. xD
Well, it's better than 8GB (which would have been fine for me but maybe not forever) since I was going to go with the Fire.

Thank you!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No micro-SD card but you really don't need more than 16GB depending on what you're gonna use it for.

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No micro-SD card but you really don't need more than 16GB depending on what you're gonna use it for.
You're right. I won't even need that much.
but...

OMG. The 32GB version is only $20 more on eBay than the 16gb.
...why would anyone get the 16gb when there's that choice.

I'm now completely decided on getting the 32gb touchpad. Thank you everyone for the discussion!

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a nook and a fire. Running a ics ROM and I must say the kindle runs way better plus they are so close to full graphic hardware acceleration. With fff on I have JFK as second ROM and it runs gta3 all gameloft games including the new dungeon hunter 3 with absolutely no lag (nook lags a bit) only flaw of kindle is the lack of expansion slot. Personally IM hoping I can save to get a transformer prime with the keyboard till then I'll stick to the kindle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)