• Likes 9
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
http://www.emucr.com/2020/04/noods-git-20200430.html
https://github.com/Hydr8gon/NooDS

Edit: I´m not the coder! I just post the information!
NooDS
A (hopefully!) speedy NDS emulator.

Overview
The goal of NooDS is to be a fast and portable Nintendo DS emulator. My hope is that it will eventually be able to run well on the Nintendo Switch. And desktop too, of course! I'm doing this for fun and as a learning experience, and also because I'm a huge fan of the DS. To be honest, I've gotten further than I had originally expected; with most major features implemented, including a fairly competent 3D renderer and audio output, it's starting to feel like I have a proper emulator on my hands. It may not be a worthy competitor for the other DS emulators just yet, but I believe that I can get it there someday. And hopefully some of the plans I have for the future will make it worthwhile. Let's have some fun with this!

Downloading
NooDS is available for Linux, macOS, Windows, and the Nintendo Switch. Automatic builds are provided via GitHub Actions; to use them, you'll need to install wxWidgets and PortAudio on Linux or macOS (see: Compiling for Linux or macOS). On Windows and Switch, you shouldn't need anything additional.

Compiling for Switch
To compile for the Switch, you'll need to install devkitPro and the switch-dev package. You can then run make -f Makefile.switch in the project root directory to compile.

My Patreon, where you can support the project or read about my progress!

Attachments

• noods.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 486
Last edited by ,

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for posting and attaching a build. Since the author hasn't released a build he may not feel its ready. Hydr8gon does have a reasonably active history of compiling and placing his builds in the release section.

Can you play test and let us know? Maybe try both the well emulated games and the not-so-well emulated games to give us an example?

He has released quite a few builds of MelonDS so we do have another base to compare to.

@Hydr8gon can chime in too if he pleases =)

D

Deleted User

OP
Thanks for posting and attaching a build. Since the author hasn't released a build he may not feel its ready. Hydr8gon does have a reasonably active history of compiling and placing his builds in the release section.

Can you play test and let us know? Maybe try both the well emulated games and the not-so-well emulated games to give us an example?

He has released quite a few builds of MelonDS so we do have another base to compare to.

@Hydr8gon can chime in too if he pleases =)
I haven´t softmodded my Nintendo Switch yet. Maybe someone else want´s to test this build.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! @iriez is right; I haven't officially released NooDS because it's not really ready yet. Although it is more or less a usable emulator at this point, it's still a bit slower than my melonDS builds, and it definitely can't compete with the melonDS JIT builds! I'll probably do an "official" release once I write an ARM64 JIT of my own. In the meantime, I have an autobuild set up so if you're interested in the project you can always grab the latest build under the Actions tab on GitHub. You do need a GitHub account to access the builds, which is lame, but it's a free CI/CD service so I guess I can't complain. You can also join the Discord if you're interested in following updates.

Thanks for making a thread, but I'll probably make my own eventually :P

D

Deleted User

OP
Hello! @iriez is right; I haven't officially released NooDS because it's not really ready yet. Although it is more or less a usable emulator at this point, it's still a bit slower than my melonDS builds, and it definitely can't compete with the melonDS JIT builds! I'll probably do an "official" release once I write an ARM64 JIT of my own. In the meantime, I have an autobuild set up so if you're interested in the project you can always grab the latest build under the Actions tab on GitHub. You do need a GitHub account to access the builds, which is lame, but it's a free CI/CD service so I guess I can't complain. You can also join the Discord if you're interested in following updates.

Thanks for making a thread, but I'll probably make my own eventually :P
No problemo!:) I think @Cyan could transfer this thread over to you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, thanks for that new project. Good luck on writing the new arm64jit (nobody did yet? or you need specific version for your own needs?)

Once you are ready to make an official release, I'm afraid you'll have to post a new thread, as Xenforo doesn't seem to have that feature (why?) and needs to be done the hardway.
What's easy to do is provide write access to first post, but you still aren't the owner.
Or we could close this one and put a link to the new one if you want that instead.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, thanks for that new project. Good luck on writing the new arm64jit (nobody did yet? or you need specific version for your own needs?)

Once you are ready to make an official release, I'm afraid you'll have to post a new thread, as Xenforo doesn't seem to have that feature (why?) and needs to be done the hardway.
What's easy to do is provide write access to first post, but you still aren't the owner.
Or we could close this one and put a link to the new one if you want that instead.
I'm fine with making a new thread in the future; the project is still a fair bit off from an official release anyways. Regarding the JIT, @catlover007 has already written one for melonDS but I plan on writing my own since I've written the rest of NooDS from scratch. It's largely a learning experience for myself, but if I can make it into a worthy competitor for melonDS as well then that's cool too :)

D

Deleted User

OP
We got the word out. I don´t mind if we close this thread.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
id like to know what the current perfomance compared to (for example) MelonDS looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y