Gaming Noobish question xD

Rowan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm making my first computer and was wondering whether the lga of the processor needs to match up with the motherboard?
I was thinking about using this motherboard
and this CPU

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The LGA is basically the number of pins on the CPU/Motherboard socket. Understandably, you cannot put a 1155 pin CPU in a 1366 pin motherboard.

If you want to stick with the X58 Sabertooth motherboard, you'll want a Core i7-930 or 950. If you want to stick with the Core i5-2500K, you'll want either a P67 or a Z68 motherboard, as H61 and H67 motherboards do not allow significant overclocking. P67 cannot use the intergrated Intel GMA HD3000 graphics core, but H6x and Z68 motherboards can, and Z68 motherboards have fancy features that switch between the Intel GMA graphics and a graphics card depending on how demanding the tasks you're running are (e.g. for games, it'll switch to the more powerful graphics card).

Here's an ASUS P67 Sabertooth if you really wanted a Sabertooth motherboard that has LGA 1155. It's been reviewed as the best gaming motherboard by CustomPC Magazine, although it doesn't overclock as well as an Asus Maximus IV Extreme or a MSI P67A-GD53 (B3). CPC recommend the MSI motherboard for new computers (because the Maximus is much more expensive).

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That combo won't work, the mobo is an 1366 chipset and you're trying to put a sandy vagina in it. SB is 1155. That also means that they won't fit in the first gen i3/i5/i7 1156 motherboards.

May I recommend the P8P67 Pro? It is similar to the Sabertooth, minus the gimmick TUF armor.

The Pro is amazing for overclocking, which I know you'll be doing seeing as you're getting a 2500k. I got the Deluxe, but only because when I was in the market for a B3 motherboard, only the Deluxe was in stock. The two front USB 3.0 ports are a nice bonus, but not worth the difference.

Originality said:
P67 cannot use the intergrated Intel GMA HD3000 graphics core, but H6x and Z68 motherboards can

Isn't it the other way around? I thought H67 couldn't use integrated graphics, but Z68 and P67 could.

Either way, nobody should ever have to use the terrible onboard Intel graphics
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)