Noobish but important questions abot GW3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by balkani, Jul 25, 2014.

1. balkani
    OP

balkani Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2014
    Angola
    Dear fellow gbatempers, first of all I'd like to beg your pardon, 'cause I know you've got to read the same questions again and again.
    Unfortunately, I'm the prince of noobs; and EVEN IF I'VE READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND ALL YOUR GUIDES, STILL I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

I'd like to buy a GW 3ds, I've read about it, I've got a 4.3 fw 3ds, etc.
    Still I' don't understand how the nand thing works.
    Let's say that I've got the nand of my 3ds and I've got the EMUnand that in some way my GW3ds inject in my 3ds, fooling it into "thinking" it's its own nand.
    The emunand is updated for "keeping up" the 3ds legit firmware updates, meaning that, for example, a game working with the latest firmware update could not work until the 3dGW team release an emunand update.
    If this is the state of the things, how we consider the online functionality of the console?
    1)Do I have to keep my streetpass and wireless functions always switched off in order to avoid being updated by error?
    2)Can I access to online playing when my GW3ds firmware is not perfectly updated to the legit 3ds firmware?
    3)Or instead could a working game on my 3dsGW play online safely even if the legit 3ds firmware is "higher" than the 3dsGW firmware?
    4)Can I enter the e shop even if my GW3ds firmware is not updated to purchase some content for a game actually working with the GW3ds firmware?
    5) Do I have to access online features only in the GW3ds mode?

2. Sciduck

Sciduck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2014
    1) it'll nag you to download the update first, if you accidentally press yes. it'll then regularly to install the update. You can always delete off the sdcard
    2)Depends on the game, some games need updates which can only download if you are using a emuNAND version that is the same as the latest official Nintendo version. But updating your emuNAND to 8.1 I believe breaks your eShop/stops emuNAND from booting you cannot download the update either way (there is a way round this but this requires some soldering).
    Other games that do not need updates work fine (Bravely, Animal Crossing) as long as you have modified the ROM file to have online capability
    3)Yes you can, if the game needs updates you need to have downloaded them though.
    4) Can't access eShop on GW mode at the moment until Gateway updates the firmware to work with the latest update.
    5)What do you mean by online features? You can access the eShop if you update your normal NAND to the latest version, but that will break Gateway functionality.

3. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    The emuNAND isn't injected into your 3DS, it is just a copy of your consoles NAND that is formatted to your SD card. Gateway will load this instead of the one on your console. This allows you to have the functionality of updated firmware without losing gateway compatibility.

This has answers to most of your 3DS flashcard questions:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

This thread will help with online functionality:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-scene-dumps-with-gw-2-2-online.365829/