Hacking Noob Questions

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, I just bought an used PS3 an have a couple of questions.

1) Is Kmeaw's CFW still the best CFW? I used to be on the CFW scene a while ago, so I don't know much about any recent events.
2) Is there ANY way to connect to PSN using a CFW right now?
3) I have a 500GB Hard Drive, but it is formatted to NTFS. I know that I can't launch games from an NTFS drive, so I'm going to format it to FAT32. The problem is that Windows 7, for some reason, doesn't want me to, and doesn't give me the option to format it like that. Is it for a reason, or can I just download any FAT32 Formatter from the internet and format my drive safely?

Thanks for your answers
smile.gif

Oh, and what is this lv2_v9 thing that I keep reading about? Will I need it?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
kmeaw's CFW is still the favourite CFW on the scene. I can't say if it's the best or not because some say Wanin's v2 CFW is better, and there are a couple that are pre-modified for PSN access.

Last I checked, there were a couple methods for connecting to PSN by spoofing the FW version... no idea if they still work with all the changes to PSN.

Use a formatting tool to format the drive to FAT32. There are any number of them on the internet.

From what I understand, lv2_v9.pkg is basically a payload for getting games to work on CFW. It's not needed if you install BDEMU.BIN for MultiMan 1.16, and neither are needed if you're using MultiMAN 1.15.06 or below.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
one question i have.... it's impossible to play online atm right? i mean, for example i have my original SSF4 disc game, can i play online with it? or will it request an update?

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
Rebug cfw is the way to go.

Has all the features you could want and more.

PSN spoofing is included in the CFW
Hmm, if it includes PSN spoofing then I think I'll try that one out.
3.41E v1.0.1 BETA is the Latest version. Right? I'm checking from a site I'm not sure if I can link to or not.

EDIT: I just downloaded the REBUG CFW and it doesn't seem to be recognized by the PS3, which is on 3.55 OFW. Is there something I need to do first?
EDIT2: Wait, nvm I'm just a retard and didn't check the versions. Trying it out now.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
Rebug cfw is the way to go.

Has all the features you could want and more.

PSN spoofing is included in the CFW
Hmm, if it includes PSN spoofing then I think I'll try that one out.
3.41E v1.0.1 BETA is the Latest version. Right? I'm checking from a site I'm not sure if I can link to or not.

EDIT: I just downloaded the REBUG CFW and it doesn't seem to be recognized by the PS3, which is on 3.55 OFW. Is there something I need to do first?
EDIT2: Wait, nvm I'm just a retard and didn't check the versions. Trying it out now.

Make sure you get it from the official Rebug.me website

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smash_brew said:
MarioBrotha said:
PSN doesn't work on REBUG. I guess Sony already fixed it. Any other way that know that might be possible to get on PSN?
PSN doesnt work right out of the box one second Ill link you to a guide.
http://www.smoothblog.co.uk/2011/03/11/reb...eased-download/

I was under the impression that this no longer works.
It was working the day the CFW was released I don't go on psn but i dont remember this spoof being broken yet.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
PSN doesn't work anymore.
You should play online only with LAN compatible games (there's not a lot though).

There is a way to connect to the developer's private PSN test server, but it's not a good idea.
High risk of ban, the more people do it the faster it will be patched like normal PSN access, not all games are working, you can't use your own account (need a new one), no PSN Store, no adding friends or messaging friends?. (it's only for developers in mind to debug their games online)

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a LOT of problems doing this.

I've installed MultiMan 1.16.0 Full, and it told me that there was no BD-ROM emulator support. Googled around, downloaded and installed BDEMU-3.55KM (Just realised that the KM part problably meant Kmeaws CFW). I then booted up MultiMan again, no error, and loaded up Crysis 2 from my extrernal HDD. Exited to the XBM fine, the game showed up fine, but when I try to boot it it gives me an error code.
Gonna download Kmeaw's CFW to see if it get's fixed.

EDIT: So, I just tried to launch Crysis2 again for the hell of it, and it seems to have booted fine, it is now somehow downloading a patch, which seems odd since I can't get on PSN. Will update when something happens.

EDIT2: So it just works when it feels like it, I guess.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have access to a Mac, a 500GB hard drive can be formatted to FAT with no problem via the Disk Utility app.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've gotten Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 to work so far. However, I also have Homefront and Just Cause 2, and both games are giving me trouble. Homefront boots, but brings me back to the XMB and gives me error 80010017, which seems to be quite common after some Google searches, but I don't know how to fix it. Just Cause 2 crashes and gives me a black screen.
Also, I've copied Motorstorm Apocalypse and Burnout Paradise, but they wont show up on Multiman. All my games are on the same Folder, which is X:/Games/(NameOfGame).

Any help is apprectiated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you keep a disc in the drive all the time ?
Games returning to XMB are usually caused because they need a Disc in the drive. (the "no disc" patch in the managers are not very good).

About the games not showing in MM, did you try renaming the game folder's name? (edit : I'm talking about special characters, like maybe unicode, accent, etc.?)
Did you checked that the games folder's content were identical to the other, recognized, games ?

X:/games/game name - [BLES0000ID]/
X:/games/game name - [BLES0000ID]/PS3_DISK.SFB
X:/games/game name - [BLES0000ID]/PS3_UPDATE/
X:/games/game name - [BLES0000ID]/PS3_GAME/
X:/games/game name - [BLES0000ID]/PS3_GAME/PARAM.SFO
X:/games/game name - [BLES0000ID]/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
etc.

Maybe you made an additional folder level?

Did you try to put it on external/internal (through FTP or File manager) ?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to add a little, renaming the folder shouldn't make a difference, but if there's an extra subdirectory that would definitely keep it from showing up.

/games/BLES0000ID/
/games/gamename/
/games/blahblahblah/

should all work

but

/games/gamename/BLES0000ID/

wouldn't. If you downloaded the games and weren't careful when copying them over, it's possible you didn't notice that before you moved it over it unrared like

/gamename/BLES0000ID

and so now it might be sitting on your system as

/games/gamename/BLES0000ID

which Multiman is not going to see

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple