(noob questions) Just got usb hardrive where to start?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Prophet6000, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Prophet6000
    OP

Banned Prophet6000 Banned

United States
    I just got a 320 Western Digital My passport essential hard drive where to begin to play my original and backup disk on it. please help-; and thank if anyone replies my wii is 4.2 i have homebrew installed as well

2. rolandde

Newcomer rolandde Member

Canada
  3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    did you REALLY use google? really? because I googled "how to load wii games from usb drive" and http://www.usbloader.com/ was the second result.

Either youre blind, or you lied.

4. Prophet6000
    OP

United States
  5. Prophet6000
    OP

United States
    I need to install iso 222/23 i need help

6. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    google it.

7. rolandde

Newcomer rolandde Member

Canada
    All the basics are on the website I gave you. Read through it very carefully. You are asking very basic Google questions.

8. Distrance

Member Distrance GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Could someone tell me one thing about usb loading : The harddrive used, does it have to use external power cable or can it take it's power from USB ? I need to buy new HD and knowning this would help greatly as pocket sized and small sized HDD's are only through USB.

To the topic starter : Yes, learn to read. I got my Wii yesterday, and I modded it using the tutorial linked above in couple hours, and the tutorial has all essential files needed.

9. rolandde

Newcomer rolandde Member

Canada
    My hard drive draws power from the Wii. Works flawlessly.

10. Distrance

Finland
    Good to know. Quick question about formatting then : What I found out from other websites is that I'm supposed to format the harddrive to WBSF ? .. Or maybe I misunderstood .. My current HD which is low on space was FAT, it didn't do anything to it when I ripped a game on it, just made wbsf folder and ripped a game to there and it works fine. Didn't create a partition either .. So when I get my HD, what should I format it to ?

And do the games have to be wbsf ? What about a basic ISO file ?

And lastly before I rush out to buy a Wii Lan Adapter.. The USB Loader is supposedly able to load covers for games from the net, but does it do that automatically or do I have to specify a source ? Or could this be done manually on my computer or is the cover info stored in the Wii itself ?

Sorry for hijacking the thread [​IMG]

11. rolandde

Newcomer rolandde Member

Canada
    It does it automatically.

12. Distrance

Finland
    Ah thank you. Regarding the formatting then, I just tried to convert Super Smash Bros Brawl ( scrubbed ) to WBSF with wbsf_file.exe, and it was supposed to create a split. Maybe it did, but I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be. I have now file called RSBE01.wbf1 and RSBE01.wbsf.tmp .. Is this how it's supposed to look like with dual layer games ?

I tried using the WBSF Manager but it wont let me do anything unless the HD is in WBSF format.

13. kirokun

Member kirokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I hope people the OP doesn't mind me asking this question...

I been looking to buy one of these External HDDs, however I know little to nothing about them.

A year or 2 ago [When HDD homebrew and the lot] were new, I had heard of HDD that sleep when not in use and other tidbits.

So as of now I have no idea which HDD to buy that benefits me the best.

I'd appreciate any help and apologies to the OP.

14. Distrance

Finland
    I'm 99% sure it doesn't matter what kind of HDD you get. And as I asked above, it doesn't even matter if the power is drawn from the Wii through the USB. I dont know about this sleep thing for example, but I don't see any harm or use in it since when you play games.. it's in use. Just get one that has a switch so you can turn it off when you're not using it ( but alternatively you can always just take the USB or the power cable off )

15. rolandde

Newcomer rolandde Member

Canada
    To Distrance
    Something doesn't sound right with the splitting. I'm quite certain that you should not have gotten a tmp file. Try using WiiBackupManager (here's a guide http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ba...backup-manager) to split the file. Always worked for me.

To kirokun
    Not all USB devices with work with your Wii. Here's the Wiki where kind people have jotted down what works and what doesn't: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

16. Distrance

Finland
    The link you posted returns error : We're sorry, but we were unable to locate the page you requested. D:

Also I tried WBFS Manager found on this website, but just like with wbfs_file.exe, after about 50% is completed ( the first layer ), it exits ( on wbfs_file ) and freezes ( on wbfs manager ). In the latter case, I got the first file again, and second file was 0kb ... Could it be the fault of a scrubbed image.. though I don't really understand how. Edit : Something called Wii Game Manager complains about bad blocks on the scrubbed image, so that might be why it doesn't work. What program should I use to rip an ISO out of Wii game ? I got the original copy of SSBB, but when I tried to rip it, I got some error on Alcohol 120% about half way through, so I downloaded this scrubbed one which too doesn't work.

Also regarding compatible external HDD's.. That guide is for if you already own the HDD, but what about when buying a new one ? Does anyone know if LaCie's Rikiki external HDD ( 250gb ) works with Wii ? I was planning to buy this one.

17. rolandde

Newcomer rolandde Member

Canada
    You cannot rip games using PC DVD drives. There are rare LG drives that can rip Wii games, but I'm quite certain you don't own one [​IMG]. Use a USB Loader (like Configurable USB Loader) to dump your game.

18. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Thats because IPB thought the ) at the end was part of the link
    The page does exist though: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ba...-backup-manager