Homebrew Noob questions for emulators for hacked 3ds

Vetusomaru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a hacked 3DS which I use as my portable emulator machine. Here is some questions I have:
1) Can you recommend me which emulators should I install for Gameboy/Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket and Wonderswam?
2) Is there any decent arcade emulator that isn't RetroArc? (I suck at using RetroArc)
3) Why can't I play CD games at PC Engine emulator?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Can you recommend me which emulators should I install for Gameboy/Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket and Wonderswam?
If something is available for the Virtual Console, like the Gameboy Advance, that's generally recommended. If a game isn't available for the Virtual Console, you can try using a custom inject. If a system isn't available for the Virtual Console, RetroArch is generally recommended.

2) Is there any decent arcade emulator that isn't RetroArc? (I suck at using RetroArc)
RetroArch

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought by all accounts Retroarch was a terrible idea – but indeed, in many cases it is the only option.

For Gameboy Advance you will definitely want to go with Virtual Console injects, or open_agb_firm (which is pretty much the same thing but with a slightly different interface). mGBA is also an option, but it generally does not perform as well.

I understood mGBA was still the best option for GB/GBC games, though.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you have an o3DS/o2DS, then mGBA doesn't always work great for GB/GBC games. In that specific case, I would recommend GameYob. Not GameYob 3DS, GameYob for DS(i) is the best choice.

Well, and it's always a better experience no matter the 3DS model, using OPEN_AGB_FIRM or VC injects for GBA games. If you have a New 3DS, only use mGBA when trying to run romhacks that would only work on emulators.

Vetusomaru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I forgot to mention that I have 3DS XL (not the New model) and mGBA performance is garbage. But yeah, seems like I'll have to resort to VC injects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night