Noob question

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Nephilim, Apr 7, 2008.

Apr 7, 2008

Noob question by Nephilim at 7:45 PM (1,044 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Nephilim
    OP

Newcomer Nephilim Member

United States
    Please don't slay me for asking this question.

I've been using an M3 DS simply with my DS for more than a year now and its all very simple. You download the roms, throw those onto the little memory device and plug it in, good to go.

I am wondering what the process requires for a PSP? With a DS you have to buy an emulator device such as an M3 or R4, is this the same with PSP? Or do I simply do something with a non-specific memory stick to change my firmware to run roms(this is jargon I only have understand since I as of yet do not own a PSP).

Thank you ahead of time for not slaying me for asking such a simple question! Any help what so ever on this is GREATLY appreciated.

2. Kailieann

Newcomer Kailieann Member

Canada
    You don't need a specific 'device' to run things from the custom firmware, but you DO need access to a special battery that boots up the system into service mode in order to install it.

Your best bet is to try and get a pre-modded PSP. If you can't, you'll either have to find someone who already has a service battery, buy one online, or make one yourself.
    Check the "installing a custom firmware tutorial" sticky for more details.

3. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Another thing. PSP games are way bigger than DS games, so just don't think that 1 or 2 gigs will hold lots of games, get at least 4 or maybe even 8. PSP isos even when compressed int o CSO's are like over 3-400 MB average. And games can be bigger than a gig. I just started playing PSP again, so correct me if I'm wrong in any way. [​IMG]

4. Nephilim
    OP

Newcomer Nephilim Member

United States
    Thanks I looked around and ended up buying a pandora battery kit with magic memory stick and battery. Biggest game I have seen so far is Jean D'Arc at over 600mb. So is CSO a form I can compress them into to make them smaller? If so how do I do it?

Any recomendations on where to get a cheap 4gb card?

5. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    FF Crisis Core is 1.16 GB or something. And there is a way to go from ISO to CSO, I'm just not sure yet, haven't looked into it... As for the memory card, I find the stores like Best Buy and stuff are overpriced. I'm not sure (again), but try Amazon.

6. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States