Noob question regarding the M3 DS Simply

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by xtreme_power, Feb 21, 2007.

Feb 21, 2007
  1. xtreme_power
    OP

Member xtreme_power GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi guys, I'm interested in getting the M3 DS Simply. I am a complete noob so I was wondering what else do I need to get this to work? Do I need to purchase anything else besides the mini SD card?

Also do you think M3 DS Simply is a good product? Or should I consider something else

Thanks for the help!

2. - Wrath of God -

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    Well... You need a MicroSD, not a miniSD, but no, you don't need anything else.

I think the M3 Simply is a really good product, even though I own mine by accident (I ordered an R4, and got an M3... go figure). However, I haven't had any problems (except Ouendan and EBA having some loading times and EBA froze once) Also C:POR froze once as well. But otherwise, no problems whatsoever. I have a Supercard CF as well, so if I have any incompatibilities with the M3, I can just play through on the SC, but except for EBA, I haven't had any problems yet.

So I guess, the M3 is good, but it's nice to have a backup just in case.

3. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Thank you Wrath of God!

I think I will get this product now!

Yay!

4. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Ouendan and EBA have loading times due to the microSD you're using.

5. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Ouendan and EBA will work with any microsd card, it does not require a true highspeed card.

6. strummer12

Member strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Got my Simply today and I've been playing Castlevania POR. No freezes at all. I'm using a Kingston 1GB made in Japan card.

All you really need is a Micro SD card and you're good to go. I would suggest buying an SD card reader cos the one that comes with the M3 is kinda cheap and I don't think I can trust it. I'm using my own card reader that I picked up at Best buy.

7. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    He said the lag is created by the micro sd, said nothin about compatibility.

8. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Hey guys got another question

How do you connect this stuff to the computer? Do you have to get an adapter to plug in the miniSD card to the computer? Because I heard M3 DS Simply connectsvVia removable media only

Also quickly which microSD card works well with this? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

9. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    I'll reiterate the posts above me, you need a MICRO SD, not a mini sd. And yes normally when you purchase a micro sd, it comes with a SD adapter that you put the micro sd into and it becomes a SD card....and any card reader that reads SD cards will be able to work with your micro sd. If you purchase the r4 or m3 simply, it comes with a micro SD card reader that you can plug directly into a usb port and read your micro SD.

10. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Haha I always get the two confused.

Thanks for the help! Hey tama mog, do you know which microSD card works well with this? Any recommendations?

11. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    A Japan made 1 gig Toshiba or Kingston card is the favorite amongst the general public because it can play Castlevania:Portrait of the Ruins near perfect with less freezes. The speed of the card doesn't really come into play on any other functions or roms. So you have 2 choices, if you must and will die if you don't play Castlevania:POR (and are too cheap to purchase the game), then yes go test your luck and hunt down one of these Japanese made cards. However, any other micro SD card will work just fine as long as it's a popular brand (kingston, sandisk, a-data, toshiba, etc etc). Having a Japanese card doens't insure that POR doesn't freeze, it just freezes a lot less often than say a sandisk card....the faster Japanese card is a bandaid on the problem, not a cure since it's how these flashcarts are handling the game that's causing it to freeze.

12. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Anyone microsd will do, you don't actually need a kingston.

13. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Oh damn, the store where I wanted to buy the M3 DS Simply ran out of stocks. They still have R4 DS and I heard that they are the exact same product right? They have all the same functions?

Should I just get the R4 DS instead?

14. xtreme_power
    OP

Australia
    Sorry about all the noob questions...I just read the topics on this board and got the answers.

Anyway, I just bought the R4 DS! Now to look for a microSD card

15. raptor5001

Newcomer raptor5001 Member

United States
    Does anyone know why the Simply is STILL out of stock? I really would like to get an M3 because I have used their product previously.

But would an R4 be any less effective?

16. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    The R4 and M3 DS simply are exactly the same , the only difference is that the R4 gets the updates faster and they seem to be cheaper than the M3 DS in some places. I recommend just buying the R4, you won't regret it. [​IMG]

17. raptor5001

Newcomer raptor5001 Member

United States
    Ah, thanks. I will go with an R4 then!