noob question but banging head on wall trying to figure out

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by andrewison, Jun 11, 2008.

1. andrewison
    OP

Newcomer andrewison Newbie

United States
    I have brought my niece a DSTT for her DSlite. I think it has ver 10 of the software on there. when you turn it on , u see the dstt menu , and when he choose (my bro , niece's dad) a game it comes up with an error message "error load save file failed". This is what he is telling me over the phone. I got the games from a friend's DVD , but looking on there all i can see in the folders are png files and nds files , but no sav files (this is from memory.. from what i remember ). All i want to do is get it to work for her as she is going off on holiday on saturday and knowing what kids are like this will be a god send for the parents as it will keep them quiet :-)

Any ideas as to what i can suggest for him to do. I have tried what i think is the soft reset option (reading these forums) but i cant confirm if he is doing it right , i assume it is turn on dslite and then press all the buttons (4 on the right and 2 on the front) .. does this make an obvious noise .. do u keep them pressed for several seconds ?? does it reset like control alt delete in DOS ??? any help much appraicated ...

Andy

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The DSTT creates a save file the first time you run a game. If your brother somehow created his own save file, he needs to delete it, then run the game and it will create one.

On a few games, the save file is created with the wrong name. You'll just need to rename them so that they have the exact same name as the .nds file but replace the ".nds" with ".sav" (if the game is "My Game.nds" then the save file should be "My Game.sav").

If it's not creating a save file at all, you have a different problem. In that case, I'd suspect that the .nds file is bad.

-Bri

3. andrewison
    OP

United States
    is it possible to delete a game with out using a usb drive thingy, i mean from the DS itself.. like a hidden option to delete files. My bro says there isnt and a m8 who has a DS say he doesnt think it is possible.. any ideas ...

Silly quest but what does the soft reset do , does it reset all the games to default settings ...

4. Bri

United States
    Well, you can install DSOrganize or some other file management tool to delete, move, copy, and rename files.

If you want to use a different menu system, I think YSMenu also has an option to delete files.

-Bri

5. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    With softreset , you can go back to your flashcard menu, without actually turning off+turning on your DS again to get there, to do this, you press a certain button combination, while playing a game(if you have activated the Soft Reset option)

To be able to delete files on the DS, you need the Homebrew app "DSOrganize" which, as Bri previously said, can delete, move, etc.
    Else, you could try "YSMenu" which is a flashcard menu replacement for DSTT (and some other flashcard IIRC)
    his homepage is http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/ , which is all in japanese (there is an english option, but you wont find YSmenu there..)
    as he doesn't like that you link directly to his files, go there, and then get to the part with:
    DS(T_T)DS
    ? YSMenu ???(2008/03/20 01:15)
    ???????????????????????????????????
    DSTT???????AK2?OSMenu????????DLDI???gbaloader????????

and click the YSmenu link, then follow the readme

I use the YSMenu, it's a really good replacement, you can browse with folders, see ALL files (if you press Select) it's a bit faster, instead of using big icons with text beside it, which only fits 4 games at a time, you get only text on the upper screen with filenames+filesize and folders, and on the touchscreen, you get the game icon, and some information

6. andrewison
    OP

United States
    cheers to you all for all of your help.. it is a great help. I am not too sure if I can help the bro. I have suggested that he brings all the bits and pieces into his work place tomorrow and speak to the it bods there (he is freinds with the it manager) , I will explain to the manager what he might need to do. I mentioned the deleting of files in respect to talking him thru the deletion of save game files over the phone, i dont think bro is too savvy in relation to IT stuff. I was just speaking to him now and he mentioned how he was starting the games, he was using the stylus. I thought he was pressing the buttons. I think the issue here is when he starts the game , it tries t save a save game file , but the error indicates that this cant be done. I think this could be because of lack of space , or summit wrong with the file structure. Is there meant to be a save folder in the root. I think i named a folder called games in the root. Bloody annoying this is ......arrrr...

7. Bri

United States
    Yes, he will want to put his .nds files (and .sav files) into a "games" folder and not on the root. He will also want to leave plenty of free space on the microSD (or else it won't be able to create save files).

-Bri