noob question about MMM. Hack it yourself says to get MMM...?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by geoffois, Sep 1, 2011.

1. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    Ok so I followed the instructions on Hackityourself web site. When I get to downloading MMM and putting it on sd card. I look at the video tutorial and I can see that the MMM he is using has lots of programs and files. The one I located on mmm4wii site, it is like 401kb and almost not files. And it won't work with that. Has anyone followed the instructions from that site and knows where to get the actual [MMM] Multi-Mod-Manager v13.4? I'm trying to help my less technical friend out. Thanks, I appreciate any help you can give.

2. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
  3. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    I suggest you ask over there if its their guide
    ppl tend to follow guides from the site the're using

or you could just use modmii

4. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    is this another paysite? bc when clicking on pdf it asks for a password...

5. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    disregard

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Paysites = scams. Click the link in my sig to use ModMii.

7. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    Sounds like ModMii it is, thanks everyone. I'll read up on it asap. I used the letterbomb to put HBC, so I'm probably partially there.

8. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    OK so I ran modmii and it created a folder called modmii on my desktop and placed all the needed files there. When I watched the video is says take everything from the directory and place it in the root of the sd card. However, the files I see in the video are different and they appear to be files that were place inside of a folder inside the modmii folder. Apps, bootmii, and wad are the folders and there is other files inside of a folder in the modmii folder. So now I'm wondering if I should take those out of that folder and place them in the root and also with the ones in the directory so they are all in the root. I'm thinking when the video said to tell modmii to place the files in "c" it literally created a "c" directory in modmii folder versus put them in "C:"? Also, when I go to my C: directory there is 4 new files ( apps, modmii, usb-loader, wbfs). It says to take files from C: and put in root of usb drive. Those must be the apps that will run off the usb drive. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I just don't want to brick my friends wii.

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    Forget everything you saw on the video, failtube and scam sites aren't going to help you.

10. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Lol. They wont brick unless u intentionally turn the wii off during the hack. But your on right direction. Since you got HBC u have already hacked it. Only thing remaining is to install all those IOS, cIOS u need etc etc... And then get urself a loader and then put games inside a wbfs folder and done.

BTW didnt quite understand your post but the folders inside the modmii is going to the root. Like the WAD folder, wbfs folder, apps folder etc etc...
    Wad is used to install channels(So you dont have to enter HBC to launch that app), APP folder is where your hacks are going which is loaded through HBC. The wbfs folder is simply the folder you put your games in. And just a reminder. I never used ModMii in my life since i find it to text heavy for first timers.

11. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    Ok good to know. I was thinking the apps folder and, wbfs folder need to be in the root of the usb drive. I think I got a lil confused since it created a modmii folder on my desktop and in that folder was another folder with folders that I thought should be placed in the root. If I followed the instructions exactly, then I would copy the folders straight to the sd card from the modmii folder and so the apps and a few others would not be in the root, but would still be in another folder that was in the modmii folder. Sorry, it probably sounds convoluted hehe. I'll play with it and see what happens. Worst case, I'll move the files around to see. I have my games backed up as iso files, so those go straight into the wbfs folder, ok cool. I have a program that can split any file and put it back together so maybe I can keep the whole iso file in one piece in the FAT32 formatted usb drive. I know they normally have limitations for being able to transfer files greater than 4gb. If I wasn't able to do that, how would I split the iso files to still work and have it split?

12. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Format the drive to NTFS, drop your games in the /wbfs-Folder in the Drive, done. No need to split.

13. JoostinOnline

United States
    Why use NTFS? You are just limiting compatibility, and using ISO's is a huge waste of space.

14. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    Ok, that is even better. The modmii instructions mentioned the wii can run games from the ntfs, but can't run apps from an ntfs formatted drive. So should I have a sd card just for apps that way I just need the wbfs folder to keep adding games? Thank you

15. JoostinOnline

United States
    No, don't use NTFS. Use FAT32 and use Wii Backup Manager to scrub, transfer, (and, if necessary split) your games. Still use your SD for apps.

You will just be hurting compatibility if you use NTFS.

16. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    Ok, wiibackup manager must be one of the apps I should be installing on my wii or is it something I download to my pc. Sorry I'm at work or I'd spend some time googling it.

17. JoostinOnline

United States
    It's for your PC.

18. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    Ok I found it. I'll download it when I get home and give it a try. Since it cleans up the games and I think eliminates the extra bs, then the games probably won't even be 4gb anyways I'm thinking. Thanks again.

19. geoffois
    OP

Newcomer geoffois Member

United States
    I used wii backup manager and for call of duty it looks like it fit it to 4gb from a lil larger. Should I choose "game partitions only" so it trims it down more? It looks like it is preset to 4gb for wbfs folder. I assume that means it will auto separate files so the don't get larger than 4gb. Thanks again for you help.

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    Yes, and also check "Enable full scrubbing mode" if it isn't. Your files will be split automatically if necessary.