Hardware Noob question about how many HDDs can be connected to Wii U

droople

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi there,
I have a noob question regard to how many HDDs can be connected to Wii U.

I understand that I can attach two 2TB HDDs to the two USB ports separately.

Now, I have an HDD cage that can install two HDDs inside, I'm just wondering that can I connect the cage to the USB port and will the Wii U recognize two HDDs, it's external powered of course.

Cheers,

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there,
I have a noob question regard to how many HDDs can be connected to Wii U.

I understand that I can attach two 2TB HDDs to the two USB ports separately.

Now, I have an HDD cage that can install two HDDs inside, I'm just wondering that can I connect the cage to the USB port and will the Wii U recognize two HDDs, it's external powered of course.

Cheers,

The "Cage" you're referring to, I assume it's an enclosure that supports having 2 HDDs inside? . These typically have a USB HUB controller inside to allow for 2 separate HDDs to be detected via a single USB cable. ..guess you'd have to try it out to find out...

While the Wiiu will recognize 2 HDDs at the same time when you are in the Data Management menu (just for copying purposes), it will not allow you to have both connected at the same time when you are in the main menu .. it only supports loading of games from 1 connected HDD at a time.

2 x 2TB HDD seems a bit overkill :). Even if you installed every single possible game from the eshop, you'd still be under a single 2TB of usage. I suppose you could dedicate 1 HDD for the Wiiu side , and 1 FAT32 formatted HDD for the vWii side if you wanted to.

Something else to note ( in case you start playing around with swapping HDDs for which each have separate Wiiu games installed), your game icons will be unshuffled each time you add a different Wiiu Formatted HDD.... I guess this would only be an issue if you've placed your games in folders..

Last edited by AQS,

droople

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The "Cage" you're referring to, I assume it's an enclosure that supports having 2 HDDs inside? . These typically have a USB HUB controller inside to allow for 2 separate HDDs to be detected via a single USB cable. ..guess you'd have to try it out to find out...

While the Wiiu will recognize 2 HDDs at the same time when you are in the Data Management menu (just for copying purposes), it will not allow you to have both connected at the same time when you are in the main menu .. it only supports loading of games from 1 connected HDD at a time.

2 x 2TB HDD seems a bit overkill :). Even if you installed every single possible game from the eshop, you'd still be under a single 2TB of usage. I suppose you could dedicate 1 HDD for the Wiiu side , and 1 FAT32 formatted HDD for the vWii side if you wanted to.

Something else to note ( in case you start playing around with swapping HDDs for which each have separate Wiiu games installed), your game icons will be unshuffled each time you add a different Wiiu Formatted HDD.... I guess this would only be an issue if you've placed your games in folders..
Hi Aqs, thank you for your detailed explanations. I'll have a try.
vWii side is only for Wii or also for game cube?
Cheers

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not vwii homebrew. you have to go into the vwii to use it. if you install a vwii title, it has to be done in the vwii.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you install wad games, then I recommend using an emunand (usb loader gx can build one for you), and install the wads into that (usb loader gx can also do this). it's safer in case something is wrong with a wad or something. plus, you should have unlimited space, unlike the normal virtual wii. :D

droople

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if you install wad games, then I recommend using an emunand (usb loader gx can build one for you), and install the wads into that (usb loader gx can also do this). it's safer in case something is wrong with a wad or something. plus, you should have unlimited space, unlike the normal virtual wii. :D
Thank you I'm new to Wii/Wii U, I'll look around to familiar with these stuff :D

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: