Hacking Noob Q's - Homebrew, IOS's, 4.1U virgins, and 4.2U

silva79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so the first time I did any kind of softmodding was, close to a year ago, on my own wii with 4.0u. I then upgraded to 4.1 after the release of NSMB and haven't messed with any softmodding or homebrew since. Now I have 2 friends with their own wii's and they asked me to softmod theirs and now I'm feeling outdated.
mellow.gif

Both guys have virgin wii's.

Guy A: had his wii for the longest time at 3.4U and upgraded to 4.1U through NSMB (his wii has never been online)

Guy B: "had" never been online, but got online for some reason and upgraded to 4.2U.

Both want to be able to have the HBC, primarily for old emulated consoles. They would also like to backup their wii games and play them off of a USB harddrive (they saw me be fat and lazy and not have to swap out discs anymore, now they want it too). Guy B doesn't really care about backups, he wouldn't mind them, but he just wants to be able to play old emulated games. Neither of them want any flashy hacks, they just want emulation and backups.

I've searched the interwebs for tutorials and feel super intimidated. When it was my wii I was all whatever, but I REALLY don't want brick my friends wiis.

Alright so here's the questions.

Can Guy B just install HBC and play old emulated games without having to worry about installing IOS's/cIOS's?

Is there a simple tut that I can follow to get Guy A's wii to run HBC and USB Loader w/o installing any of the unnecessary (and possibly risky) IOS's/cIOS's?

Is there a guide where I can learn more about the individual IOS's/cIOS's so I can understand what they do. Because right now I have no clue which ones I would need to install? Or why I would want them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Games run off IOS and so does the system menu. Certain games need certain IOS's. Now goto this site to hack your wii. after you are done this guide you should have all cIOS's installed for usb loading. Emulators do not need any extra things installed.

silva79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riley said:
Games run off IOS and so does the system menu. Certain games need certain IOS's. Now goto this site to hack your wii. after you are done this guide you should have all cIOS's installed for usb loading. Emulators do not need any extra things installed.
Thanks Riley. I especially like the part where you mention that "Emulators do not need any extra things installed." Sweeet!

I went ahead and ran bootmii because Guy A's wii allowed him to do it as boot2. I backed up the NAND and keys. I don't have Guy B's wii here but if I were to run bannerbomb and hackmii on his wii as well, would I have to worry about him or Guy A upgrading FW in the future? I guess what I'm asking is HBC alone (w/ emulators) upgrade friendly?

btw, that site you recommended is pretty legit. They dumb it down and now I feel like I has genius brainz.
cool.gif

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use priiloader and block disc updates and online updates.

If you don't and anytime in the future the upgrade through disc or online all the hacks you've done to the wii will be undone.

If in the future you need to update in order to play newer games it is still possible to use homebrew apps to update without officially doing it through nintendo.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
+1 on icpmattj's reply. If they really don't want to have any "flashy hacks", I'd say screw them. You know in advance they'll come to you if they manage to brick their wii by installing disc updates.
Same goes for bootmii, by the way.

silva79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
+1 on icpmattj's reply. If they really don't want to have any "flashy hacks", I'd say screw them. You know in advance they'll come to you if they manage to brick their wii by installing disc updates.
Same goes for bootmii, by the way.
No one likes a brick,. but I know that Guy A would be more of a douche if something happened to the wii. Only because he's not too tech savy. He just see's it working on my wii and he wants it on his. He doesn't know why it works, and doesn't care, he just wants it to work. So if he does something in the future to eff it up, it would be somehow my fault,. cuz I'm the one that performed the mod,.. that "he" asked for. I'm sure you guys have met those people. So all I did was give him the emulators. I didn't install any IOS's.

With Guy B he understands the risks,.. and knows that it shouldn't fail but there is always the possibility of failure. He's still on the fence, and is only going to agree to it once he convinces himself that the gain is worth the risk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]