Hacking Homebrew Noob Q - What is the diadvantage of a 1.5 PSP?

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am going to buy a secondhand 1.5 ver PSP just wondering what are the disadvantages? (if there are any?)

I heard that some of the newer games need firmware that is higher then 1.5 (what games - is there a list?), so then how could I run these types of games while still be able to have my 1.5 firmware? Or do I just have to miss out on newer games to retain my 1.5 firmware?

Thanks Heaps

Happy Easter All

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It has less features than the higher versions. Most other things are advantages (if you plan to use devhook you can emulate the higher firmwares). Alternatively you may upgrade to 3.XX open edition by DarkAlex so you can run homebrew and games and still have all the perks of a high firmware number

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easier to upgrade to custom firmware (faster I should say, less steps involved). 1.5 is a good place to start if you're planning on jumping to custom firmware... (aka, The Good Stuff)

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"custom firmwares"

What do you mean by this....

Ok If I can't get a 1.5 ver what other firmware ver should I aim for (keep in mind I really want to use homebrew + emulators not PSP ISOs are they are too big to download)...

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.5 is perfectly fine. In order to use homebrew and emulators, Custom Firmware is preferred. You can nab anything BUT NOT FIRMWARE VERSIONS 3.10-3.30!!! These are Sony's official firmware releases and they disable all homebrew and cool stuffs. Once you get your PSP NEVER RUN "NETWORK UPDATE"! NEVER!!! It will update your psp to sony's latest firmware, disabling everything you love. Custom firmware however is what you need, and it's named kind of the same, so don't get mixed up. You need to get to 3.03 OE or 3.10 OE-A (OE stands for Open Edition, it's custom firmware that was hacked so that you can run emu's and stuff, hackers took Sony's official updates and added onto them with new features and the enabling of homebrew and such).

But enough of that for now...
1.5 is perfect, you'll just have to upgrade to custom firmware when you get it, no trouble at all. Just remember what types of firmware to stay away from and you'll be fine. If you run into any trouble, just drop me a message.

Bed is calling my name, night all.
happy.gif

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
Also like a friends sister did, do not allow them to run a game and upgrade the firmware. This will do the same bad things as the network update.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There aren't much disadvantages of 1.5, opposed to latest firmware (3.40 I believe)
1.5 , 2.71 and 3.xx OE firmwares are ideal for running homebrews, enhancing your PSP's functionality.
Well the obvious disadvantage is if you brick your PSP, Sony A/S guys will update it to latest firmware, so you lose 1.5 =P

shaffaaf27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
also if you go to the newest custom FW the network update will day there is no need to update your FW, or an unsuspecting familymember or friend wont accudently upgrade the FW while playing a game.
also some games make you upgrade your FW before you can attempt to play the game....therefore it is best to keep to the newest FW. becuase it wont need to be upgraded to play a game

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bro like the homi above me stated, jist invest in Dark_alex's 3.40 oe a firmware --its the most up to date and man its heaven-sent when you come back to the scene a few days ago to upgrade from 1.50 to this. i mean the features are unbelievable, if someone told me this is where we'd be in 2007, i'd never have believed em.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s