Noob needs a lesson

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by .::5pYd3r::., Nov 11, 2008.

Nov 11, 2008

Noob needs a lesson by .::5pYd3r::. at 8:56 AM (1,179 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    Hi all,
    I've tried searching but i cannot find any descent info, thats when i turned to GBAtemp!
    What want to know is all about the Xbox 360 and piracy. Please help me GBAtemp!
    Some examples of the things i want to know about are:
    -Game "Backups" and bannage on Xbox Live
    -"Flashing" on newer Xbox's and if i could do it myself
    -Drive replacing?
    -(Not exactly Piracy-related) The best Xbox 360 "version" (Arcade=$300; Pro=$399; Elite=549)
    -Games on HDD?
    -Official Xbox HDD alternative?(Modding of Original, External USB HDD, etc)
    -And that's it!(for now)

Thanks in Advance!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    1. There are modchips but the current best method is to flash the drive firmware with a new one.
    Earlier firmwares apparently could be detected, modern ones can not though. These days playing bad backups is what does the banning.
    Actual homebrew does exist but it relies of a bug and it is only for older systems. It also eliminates newer games.

2. There were three brands of drive, some of which had multiple versions thereof. Chances are you will need a select type of sata port to do it; via is the most common but nvidia works for some, see textbook's guide ( http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/details/id=61.html ) on this one. I however like dosflash more than the software used in that guide, note dosflash that comes with the guide tools may be an older version and may not work.
    New lite-on drives can not have their firmware written to (there is supposedly something coming but we have not heard much recently), you can however extract the key with a bit of effort and swap drives which brings me onto 3.

3. Swapping drives. Drives are tied to the xbox so you need the key to swap. This is why all the guides say backup your key (I backup to several systems and email them to myself/the recipient).

4. You want hard drive as some games require it, demos at long term are useless if you plan on this route.
    If you want video get a usenet subscription, an original xbox and install xbmc (although the wii is looking better by the day lately, nowhere near xbmc yet but it does play most things).
    To this end skip the arcade as a drive will cost you more than it is worth (360 are insanely expensive for the capacity: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/05/behind_t...ne_price-2.html ).
    If you can find one an older package with a drive that might be an idea (not to mention has a good chance of coming with an easily moddable drive).

5. Apparently a feature of the new dashboard, I am not sure of the specifics. There is no "piracy" method at this time.

6. Not so sure on this one. datel make a drive and some adapters to read them but there is not a large market.
    There is a way to make a drive:
    http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=4193
    Some have spoke of banning from live for this but I am not convinced at all that it occurs.

3. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Good stuff Fast, I'll use that when I get a 360 in the near future. Most likely a used one, seems to be the easiest route as you mentioned.

4. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Australia
    Yes, thanks a lot Fast! Yet again you have not failed to impress with your extensive knowledge of all things computer-related. Now I'm am not as noobish as i was before.
    And thank-you again for the awesome info!

EDIT:Some more questions:

-Is it cheaper to mod myself?
    -If i'm "lucky" enough to get a Lite-On drive, how much would a replacement drive
    -How hard is it to mod a 360? (On a scale from 1 being pandora and mms-ing a psp and 10 being expert modders only)
    -Would OzModChips give me a discount? [​IMG]

5. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Yes, it is cheaper to mod it yourself considering how easy it is. On the scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to say maybe a 5 if its your first time and 1 when you have to do it again.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    1. Assuming you only need a sata card (NVIDIA and VIA cards as noted) definitely. Cost was around £12 (price of a decent pub lunch) shipped a few weeks back for a VIA card when my friend did it.
    I see everything from that upwards for others to do it, you also have control over what happens and trying to find a good modder is not hard as such but tricky.

2. No idea about Australia and the like (OzModchips (only Australian 360 supplier I know of) clocks $75.00 AUD). shop.01 (euro supplier based in Sweden) clock around €40 which is slightly less than the price of a new game.

3. I will go with the scale above. Read what you are doing and it should be fine.

4. Not my shop and I have not had dealings with them, such an item would sell though (especially in the current 360 climate) and so is unlikely to be discounted.

7. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Australia
    Once again, thanks you guys. The information you have given me has helped a lot.
    Oh, and BTW Fast, question 4 was aimed at OzModChips if he was reading lol.