Noob - just bought a Halo 3 edition X360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Bear666, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Bear666
    OP

Bear666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2014
    Canada
    Hi people,

My friend moved on to the new gen consoles (XBox one and PS4) and I bought his X360.
    He didn't hack the machine himself and he was on PS3 for long as well, so here are things that I got:

Halo 3 edition XBox 360 with 20GB HDD (already hacked)
    I read and tried DinohScene's tutorial about Mod type of Xbox 360. (http://gbatemp.net/threads/mod-type-of-xbox-360.359940/) I pressed the eject button to start the X360. No blue screen and dashboard came out. So I'm assuming it's a flashed drive (still second guessing myself tho). And no external added button for dual NAND.

According to DinohScene's guide:
    My dashboard version is 2.0.7371.0, the motherboard is ZEPHYR, Manufacturing date Aug 2007, and DVD drive has a white wire after I removed face plate, so BenQ.
    I'm not sure how to tell exactly if this X360 is still JTAG-able or already JTAG-ed, please help.
    When I started the 360 and checked the HDD, there are 2 games in there. GTA4 and Halo ODST. I can play those games without a disc in the tray. According to my friend, he stopped playing X360 at that point and starting his PS3. He also gave me a bunch of homebrew DL-DVD of older X360 games. Such as COD Modern Warefare, COD World at War, Halo 2... etc.

Since I like Halo series and Gears of War series for, I went and bought GoW3 for a cheap price. I played GoW2 with this same friend at his place back in the days... and that was where I left off with little to no gaming at all. I happily put in my "new" game... and it asked me to update... then I paused and here I am.

My noob questions please:
    1) If I just update through GoW3, my guess is that I'll be lose my old hack and potentially won't be able to play those old games anymore, right? (My gut feeling tells me that I really don't want to do this)
    2) If I'd like to learn to how to update my hack, any recommended tutorial please? re-hack from this point? or find out what is the old hack, remove it, then re-hack or update the hack?

I'd love to play homebrew games in HDD please. No, I don't need XB Live coz I have lots of games to catch up. I am about to buy a new 250GB X360 HDD, it's not expensive at this point.
    Oh, this machine or gamer tag is not banned as my friend told me.

I also read other tutorials such as Updating your hardware hacked 360 by DinohScene (http://gbatemp.net/threads/updating-your-hardware-hacked-360.353979/), glanced through Setting up Freestyle Dash by DinohScene (http://gbatemp.net/threads/setting-up-freestyle-dash.350470/), and then I landed on How to Hack Your 360 by Dinohscene too (http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-hack-your-360.334203/). I used the guide and shared some of my X360 info above. In addition, I read a couple more threads in this forum regarding inherited X360, XKey, JTAG, and RGH. Honestly, because my lack of knowledge, I am glancing through a lot of info without knowing what I should dig further into. JTAG-ing is the one that I feel right, just couldn't find the tutorial here.

Yes, I am completely new to hacking. My only hack experience is following wiimod to mod my Wii successfully. Now my Wii runs homebrew games on USB HDD. Just would like to do something similar with this X360.

Thank you in advance for everyone's input.
    Max

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Yes, updating it will lose your ability to JTAG it.
    Burn XeXMenu to a disc and launch that.
    If it boots then you got a JTAGged 360 for sure, since you don't know if it's JTAGged or not.
    (seeing that you can also launch games on the HDD?)

if it is JTAGged then follow me guide on updating your hardware hacked console.
    If not then I suggest you let someone JTAG it or do it yourself if you know how to solder ;]

Also, ditch the 250 GB 360 harddisk.
    Get a 1TB laptop harddrive and plug that into the HDD caddy.
    Far more space ;p
    (only works if it's JTAGged)

Bear666 likes this.
  3. Bear666
    OP

Bear666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2014
    Canada
    Will try that out and report back in next few days, thank you DinohScene

4. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Aye aye.
    Good luck!

5. Bear666
    OP

Bear666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2014
    Canada
    Guess my luck has used up after finding a JTAG-able X360...
    I created the XeXMenu CD and my X360 says not recognized.
    Any suggested tutorial about JTAG-ing please?
    Never solder in my life, but might as well learn it now. :)
    I searched youtube a bit and tons of video came out... yes, still learning from those videos
    However, so far I am not watching ones that tell me what tools I need before I start.
    Will keep learning tho.

Also about the X360 250GB HDD, I found a used one on Kijiji for $20 Canadian, so I didn't give it too many thoughts. :D
    1TB new external portable HDD is looking at $60 - $70 canadian around where I live.
    Oh, is that mean I can potentially (eventually after JTAG-ed my X360) just plug in a USB portable HDD please?

Guess I would have to take baby steps on this... soldering to JTAG first and worry about HDD later...
    LOL, I'm trying to learn all these 3 years later than everybody. ;P

Please let me know
    Thank you again DinohScene
    Max

6. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    You'll need a JRunner programmer and some diodes and wires or a JTAG kit from Team Xecuter.
    A 15-20w fine tipped soldering iron and some 60/40 lead-tin rosin core solderwire.
    Flux is appreciated.

Don't use USB.
    Idk why people get all horny from using USB drives when they got the possibility to make everything internal....
    It's slow and FSD will run slow.
    Plonk it in the caddy.
    It looks neater + is quicker (SATA vs USB)

I'd suggest letting someone JTAG it for you if you're not comfortable with it ;]