Nobel Prize - stem cell progress

_acid_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nobel Prize has recognized 2 scientists for discovering how to reprogram specialized cell into stem cells.

This sounds pretty awesome....

Source:Nobel Prize Article

First news post for me... Am I doing this right?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Now weaponize that using a multi-vector delivery approach and unleash that on the world to start the zombie apocalypse! Mature cells become stem cells! Muscle, tissue, bone, hair, blood, everything turned into stem cells!

Mankind will go back to being a primordial ooze of stem cells.

Reactions: 2 people

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
tumblr_m7x20ltY1t1qgo9bao1_500.jpeg

I can't imagine the effects it'll have on medicine. This is good news.

Reactions: 3 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite all the controversy and backlash, it's good to see the committee acknowledge that nothing can stem these cells.

It's a promising field of research, and official recognition of that fact is only a good sign. With more time, funding, and research, the sky's the limit. I can't wait to see what they will accomplish from here.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite all the controversy and backlash, it's good to see the committee acknowledge that nothing can stem these cells.

It's a promising field of research, and official recognition of that fact is only a good sign. With more time, funding, and research, the sky's the limit. I can't wait to see what they will accomplish from here.

I see what you did there....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be nice if they could change the cancer cells to become a different type ........

That it would but you are then left with a benign tumour at best with all the resulting rupture, infection and blood/nerve restriction problems that cancer tends to kill/cause injury by in the first place.

Anyway the science side of the Nobel Prizes still seems to be doing the right thing.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If such mature cell reprogramming is possible, it'll help combat the moral issues of retrieving stem cells from aborted fetal tissue, and also the supply issues.

Unfortunately there'll still be people who fervently object to the use of stem cells because they don't know about the developments.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think that was more Gahars just working in a pun. There are some that consider the research/present level of knowledge fruit of a poison tree* (different to the people that have no idea and reflexively dislike such things) and there are others that fear potential for misuse, but yeah the bulk of people with a possibly logical objection tend to be those that have objections to embryonic cells being used.

*one hopes they try not to retroactively apply things to all science in light of world war 2. Conversely there are people that would feel the need to have a bunch of research redone (or at least reverified) after various laws in the US potentially limited the field as a whole after the laws limited lines of stem cells to existing ones among other things.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol