No video when running games through Swiss

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by seank, Mar 11, 2011.

Mar 11, 2011
  1. seank
    OP

Newcomer seank Member

Australia
    I got an SD Gecko today to play Gamecube backups on my Wii.

I run Swiss 0.1 r33 from HBC, and it finds the games on my SD card. But when I start one, I get no picture at all (TV says no signal). I can still hear the sound from the game, and can press buttons on the controller to do stuff. So the game is actually running, I just can't see anything.

I've tried forcing the video in Swiss to every setting (480p, NTSC, PAL50, PAL60). I've tried both component and composite cables on the Wii. Nothing makes any difference though.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. panmusic

Member panmusic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    Well,I think you must change your Wii's settings to 576i or 480i.PAL GC games did not support progressive modes (I assume that you tried PAL games with Swiss) and that is creating the problem.I wish Emukidid fix this problem as soon as possible because it can be really annoying...

3. seank
    OP

Newcomer seank Member

Australia
    hmm, I changed my Wii to 480i, but still have the same issue.

The bottom of Swiss says "480p" regardless of what I set in the Wii settings. How do I change Swiss to use 480i?

I have a NTSC-J Wii and am using PAL games.

4. panmusic

Greece
    Hmmm...

I am afraid that you are screwed...
    You can not change Swiss to use 480i as far as I know.And your Wii does not support 576i that is the video signal that most PAL GC games use.

You may try to enable manually 480i in some GC games by holding B button while the game boots,but it is necessary the game you try to support 60hz.
    There are many instances that the game takes a while to start through Swiss (over 30 sec).
    If nothing of this works you can report the issue in the code google page.
    http://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/issues/list

If nothing of these works,perhaps you should wait for a newer release,hoping that Emukidid should have fix the signal problem.

5. seank
    OP

Newcomer seank Member

Australia
    aww ok [​IMG] thanks for that

so in other words, if I download some ntsc-u games, they should most likely work fine,its just pal ones that won't?

6. panmusic

Greece
    That's possible.Try one NTSC-U game and report back!
    Anyway,good luck!

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    My first thought would be "try F-Zero GX" (the NTSC version, though the PAL probably works as well). From all the gamecube games, it has the best screen support there is (along with a couple others).

Other than that, I can't add much. Just that this kind of support for certain games is also known as "progressive scan".

Oh, and that swiss is actually a gamecube homebrew game. That it works on the wii is almost "accidental", but that a setting in the wii menu doesn't affect what's shown in swiss doesn't surprise me.
    (though the setting in the wii menu DOES matter...at first, I had some games with that same issue. My first workaround was to use the regular cables. The second to use 480i).

8. seank
    OP

Newcomer seank Member

Australia
    Ok, I downloaded Four Swords NTSC-U and so far it seems to be working perfectly (except for a bit of slowdown occasionally, but hopefully that's because I'm using a crappy old SD card).

So it looks like NTSC consoles, or at least NTSC-J ones, can't play PAL games.

9. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    hey sorry to bump this thread... Im having the same problem with my 4.2U Wii and WODE.
    NTSC gamecube games works fine... but I get no video signal with PAL ones.

Im using the composite cables (480i)

10. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Swiss and WODE are two different things, It's softmod vs hardmod.

Still, you should try using component cables and seeing if that works.

11. Nah3DS

Argentina
    when the wii enters "gamecube mode" it doenst matter if you have launched the game via softmod (swiss) or via hardmod (wode)
    also... it doenst matter if you had the component cables... the problem resides on the internal video modes on NTSC Wiis

I realized that after reading this post in this thread

12. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    That was my point. I think if you use component cables it should switch to using 60hz.

13. roubagalinhas

Member roubagalinhas GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    most gc GC PAL games play fine on my ntsc-u wii, using swiss or neogamma (only retail discs in this case) as long as i force 576i
    obviously the NTSC-U versions are the way to go, as most of them even support 480p/prog scan

and i'm using component cables

1 person likes this.
  14. Nah3DS

Argentina
    thanks roubagalinhas! forcing 576i on neogamma worked!! thanks a lot!!! :bow: