No Video, No Video.. Strange Chain of Events

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pansnap, Dec 18, 2009.

Dec 18, 2009
  1. pansnap
    OP

Newcomer pansnap Newbie

United States
    [edit: subject should read No Video, No Audio]

First, long time listener, first time caller. I guess that's the nice way of saying I'm a leech, lurker, etc.

I really haven't had anything to contribute -- until now, and apologies in advance that my contribution is just a problem.

0) LU51* System, off the shelf in 1Q2007.
    1) Nintendo Update to 4.1U back in early September.
    2) Softmodded via GAF's fantastic walkthrough. WD My Passport (not relevant), fully committed to Configurable USB [props, oggzee et al]. Yes, BootMii as boot2.
    3) Did upgrade to Wanin's r15 a week or so after it was released. Hadn't really experienced any problems with it, so hadn't downgraded back to r14.
    4) Upgraded Configurable USB to r45 at some point in the past [running directly from the FAT32 partition on my USB drive] and have not upgraded since.

Configuration above worked since performed #2 performed on 2009.09.21. WFC offline, never updated to 4.2U, official or not.

Note, GH5, RB2, RB:B, Ghostbusters etc, all work. Maybe I had to use Hermes' 38/37 instead of Wanin's r14. NSMB worked after patching the dol in the ISO.

So.. this afternoon's steps:

A) Son, son's friend, and I are playing NSMB.
    B) Son's friend gets called home, we pause, walk friend home.
    C) When home, son and I launch Arcade Shooting Gallery [meh] for the first time. This and two other titles don't yet have covers downloaded.
    D) Go into "super(?)" mode in Configurable to download covers for one of the titles missing them [No More Heroes].
    E) Configurable sets network address correctly, starts to download the first cover for the title.
    F) It just sits there. Literally. We waited for 4 minutes or so. I've had slow HQ cover downloads in the past, so I just figured it was going to take a long time.
    G) I switch over to my XBMC box and the kids resume watching a movie.
    H) 30-40 minutes later, we shut down everything for dinner. My son, not thinking, and me, not stopping him, turns off the Wii [by correctly holding the unit's power button].
    I) I come upstairs now, 4 hours later, turn on the Wii. No Video.

i) The system is on, I can hover the remote and get rumble feedback when obviously over menu items. However, no sound, no video.
    ii) I have placed the exact card I bootmii'd in the first place (with bootmii on it) in the Wii to no avail. It's not booting BootMii (which, maybe I'm not recalling & reading correctly, only requires an SD card in the system at boot with /bootmii/

2. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    So the Wiimote rumbles so simply put the video and audio is not outputting to your TV - correct? The obvious thing to look at would be the cable connectivity. Other thing worth trying would be to unplug the power cable for about 30 minutes. Do it without the bootmii SD card in though - sometimes the bootmii config settings can be incompatible with your TV settings

3. pansnap
    OP

Newcomer pansnap Newbie

United States
    will try leaving it off for a while, recabling, etc. odd if it were a cabling issue b/c it (wii + cabling) is in a console and really can't be gotten to (save for the top half of the wii [vertical]).

4. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Just remember not to just switch it off but physically remove the power cable at both ends - (wii and power socket). Actually 30 minutes is probably overkill - 5 to 10 minutes should suffice

5. pansnap
    OP

Newcomer pansnap Newbie

United States
    man wtf. back up and working. sorry for wasting your time reading my drivel above.

i'm going to try to reproduce by attempting another cover d/l for nmh.

6. pansnap
    OP

Newcomer pansnap Newbie

United States
    unable to reproduce. covers downloaded for NMH w/o a hitch.