• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

No the energy department did not confirm covid19 leaked from a lab

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty, the whole lab leak hypothesis has never had any real substantiation. It's always been steeped in speculation. The truth of the matter is that coronaviruses have existed for millennia, they are zoonotic, and they cause disease of varying severity regardless of strain, variant, or reinfection. The lab leak narrative only serves to promote more fear mongering and provide an excuse for the unprecedented attention to and tracking of a mere flu-like virus, burying the very thought of a snowballing COVID-19 psy-op with more information glut. The same sort of hysteria would have easily been conjured up with a rhinovirus, adenovirus, or enterovirus (other common cold viruses that also cause flu-like illness and death) using the same unprecedented attention and tracking. In fact, an attempt was made with enteroviruses causing acute paralysis in mid-2020. It didn't gain much traction. Reading through literature, such cases were documented before 2020, though not worthy of major headline attention until the COVID-19 hysteria.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reading through literature, such cases were documented before 2020, though not worthy of major headline attention until the COVID-19 hysteria.
Would that be partially because COVID-19 has an impossibly high fatality rate compared to previous variations of the virus? It's been years, normally we'd have a full family tree of the virus and traced its evolution back several years. Instead we have one side that has absolutely no idea where it came from, and a side that has some hypothesis they want to verify but get smacked down the moment they open their mouths.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would that be partially because COVID-19 has an impossibly high fatality rate compared to previous variations of the virus? It's been years, normally we'd have a full family tree of the virus and traced its evolution back several years. Instead we have one side that has absolutely no idea where it came from, and a side that has some hypothesis they want to verify but get smacked down the moment they open their mouths.
It's crazy how the empathetic and tolerant group are completely uninterested in finding out the source of how many millions around the world were killed. It's almost like all of those lives were meaningless to these people.

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would that be partially because COVID-19 has an impossibly high fatality rate compared to previous variations of the virus? It's been years, normally we'd have a full family tree of the virus and traced its evolution back several years.

I think there is some confusion regarding the distinction between disease and antigen. COVID-19 is the disease while SARS-CoV-2 is the antigen. The disease progression of severe COVID-19 cases is identical to the severe disease progression of SARS and MERS. Much of the literature I've read has stated that SARS and MERS had higher mortality rates than COVID-19. Maybe I've also been "poisoned" by a professor, during my undergrad study, astutely and correctly pointing out that the SARS disease and the MERS disease are merely severe flu-like diseases. This means that a person can exhibit SARS disease while the antigen was influenza rather than SARS-CoV-1.

SARS = MERS = COVID-19 = severe flu-like disease = severe influenza disease

The symptoms are the same. The only real distinction is the antigen. It's a bit melodramatic to behave as though COVID-19 was a human extinction event. It is also neglectful to not consider that the baby boomer generation had reached average life expectancy by 2020. There are more factors contributing toward observed mortality than SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 diagnosis.

Maybe I'm too simple for utilizing my undergraduate education to conclude that the question of the phylogenetic "history" of SARS-CoV-2 is a red herring rather than a sincere inquiry.

Instead we have one side that has absolutely no idea where it came from, and a side that has some hypothesis they want to verify but get smacked down the moment they open their mouths.

The coerced and false binary is frustrating. Removing and banning discussion of such hypotheses has permitted the fallacy that they have credibility when they do not. I tend to believe that this is intentional so as to perpetuate the, what I believe to be, orchestrated Hegelian Dialectic it produces. The desired narrative conclusion is that COVID-19 was very deadly, possessing extinction event potential, therefore the necessary synthesis is that coerced obedience toward authoritarian policy is the only assurance of safety and survival.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Removing and banning discussion of such hypotheses has permitted the fallacy that they have credibility when they do not.

Not for nothing, but when someone habitually lies to you, the claim that they are probably lying about another issue is more credible than it is not.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The coerced and false binary is frustrating. Removing and banning discussion of such hypotheses has permitted the fallacy that they have credibility when they do not. I tend to believe that this is intentional so as to perpetuate the, what I believe to be, orchestrated Hegelian Dialectic it produces. The desired narrative conclusion is that COVID-19 was very deadly, possessing extinction event potential, therefore the necessary synthesis is that coerced obedience toward authoritarian policy is the only assurance of safety and survival.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/28/politics/wray-fbi-covid-origins-lab-china/index.html

Before, discussing that Covid was possibly a lab leak would get you suspended from twitter or reddit. Now, the FBI admits that they have internal documents that assess it as very likely, if not a certainty.

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before, discussing that Covid was possibly a lab leak would get you suspended from twitter or reddit. Now, the FBI admits that they have internal documents that assess it as very likely, if not a certainty.

I suppose it is acceptable to cherry pick FBI claims. They are liars when it comes to narratives that you disagree with while they are bastions of truth when it comes to narratives that you agree with.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose it is acceptable to cherry pick FBI claims. They are liars when it comes to narratives that you disagree with while they are bastions of truth when it comes to narratives that you agree with.
Again: two years ago you would be BANNED and branded as insane for suggesting covid-19 came from a lab, while now major left-leaning government agencies are able to announce without being punished that they consider the possibility credible. Was that point lost on you?

Reactions: tabzer

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's a bit melodramatic to behave as though COVID-19 was a human extinction event.
It obviously wasn't, but it also wasn't know; what was known was that it quickly overwhelmed care capacity, boomers or no boomers, and it did so again and again.
Yes, everyone expected a MERS or SARS (and for those taking notes, those are just two of this century's close calls) which was both deadly and spread quickly. We got a softball we fumbled in almost every way. I wouldn't call it any more authoritarian than the usual worker meatgrinder, just more visibly unjust.
Otherwise, it doesn't make much of a difference, the mutations are extremely unlikely to be man made, whatever mistake that should be corrected happened (and that we should know, but, oh well, geobollocks) - the real sin of invading and destroying habitats so we share more space with animals will keep happening, and so will more zoonotic plagues.
Claiming intent requires a ridiculous amount of evidence at this point, and this isn't remotely a smoking gun.

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again: two years ago you would be BANNED and branded as insane for suggesting covid-19 came from a lab, while now major left-leaning government agencies are able to announce without being punished that they consider the possibility credible. Was that point lost on you?

If your point is that a claim must be credible and true if professing it before it is dubiously sanctioned by government agencies yielded social media account banning and/or suspension, then no, it was not lost on me. I frankly disagree that this is an acceptable standard for credibility and truth.

I experienced social media account censorship, suspension, and banning for making the same claims that I am making now. The conclusion ought to be that the claims went against desired objectives. There was and is no sincere concern for truth. To these people, truth is relative, subjective, and fluid. It is not absolute, objective, and rigid.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-origin-china-lab-leak-807b7b0a
Can't view the whole article on my phone. But given that it doesn't mention confidence in the first two paragraphs that is in the public eye (which is pretty important) listing it here.
1678670666457.png

It shows up in the 7th sentence and is in the first 10% of the fairly long article. They also make it clear even before that that four other agencies believe the virus had a natural origin and two are undecided. The WSJ's monetization scheme is based around people subscribing and reading full articles. These same articles are also distributed verbatim in the print edition. I highly doubt they're trying to mislead non-subscribers by not mentioning that detail in the very beginning. Adding it to the first sentence would've made it more explicit, but anyone who read even 10% of the article would've seen it.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,
  • Haha
Reactions: Zajumino

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things