OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
So I got my Wii (US D2C, October batch (came with remote jacket)) few days ago, tried hooking it up to my Toshiba LCD (European PAL) through component connection, using a cheapo cable off DealExtreme, connected through my receiver. To my dismay there was no signal (It did transfer audio signal, BTW), I tried connecting directly to TV, still no signal. Seeing that I had no problem connecting other devices by component to my TV (Both a DVD and a PS2) I thought that the problem was in the cable and asked DX for a replacement, in the meanwhile I connected the Wii with the original composite cable, and got a very, VERY poor signal quality, all grainy and flaky.
The replacement arrived last week, I attempted connecting it and still got no signal, thats when I started getting worried.
So my possibilities are:
* Both the cables I got are busted - improbable, but possible, so nothing is serious
* My TV is incapable of displaying the component signal outputted by the Wii - annoying, but nothing I can do about it, aside from switching TVs.
* My Wii "detects" the third party cable and doesn't work with it - highly unlikely. I've ordered an original component cable just in case and hope that it works
* Worst case scenario - my Wii is somehow defected and can't output a component signal, only way I can check this is on a friends TV (he's connecting a (US) Wii with an original cable so I can just use his setup, but he live a few hours drive away). In that case I'm pretty much screwed, as I'm using a US Wii at a European region with no way of having it checked/repaired/replaced...

So, before I shoot myself, or throw the Wii out of the window, any advice? Any checks I can perform to determine the problem's source? Any help would be appriciated, Thanks!

apprt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's possible that the screen you're hooking it upto doesn't support the 480i signal through component. Can you try it on another tv? and if you can, change the option to 480p on the other tv and then hook it back up to the Toshiba LCD. Maybe the 480p signal will work.

JohnoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
It's possible that the screen you're hooking it upto doesn't support the 480i signal through component. Can you try it on another tv? and if you can, change the option to 480p on the other tv and then hook it back up to the Toshiba LCD. Maybe the 480p signal will work.
I like the idea. To be honest I did try something similar - while connected in composite, I went to the Wii resolution settings, knowing that connecting a component cable "unlocks" the 480p I tried roughly aiming my Wii remote at where the option will appear, connecting the component cable and choosing it (while I have no TV signal), although I don't know if it worked (I assumed that aside than choosing "480p" then "confirm" there aren't any steps in between) it did have a sort of effect on display - I still had no signal, but when I plugged the composite back - no signal either
wacko.gif
, so I had to turn off and back on the Wii...

JohnoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
What is the model of your TV?

A Toshiba Regza 37WL66 (I think it's a European model and it might be called by other name elsewhere)

Your TV can accept an NTSC signal of 60Hertz?
I played progressive scan NTSC PS2 games on it (Guitar Hero 2/God of War 2), does it count as accepting a 60hz signal?

On another note, I just hooked up a PAL PS3 to it, could be a dodgy component cable but I got some serious display problems - on any setting other than 576i I got either a purple/greenish image or a flickering image. I tried booting Resistance and got the same grainy effect on the main menu as I have on the Wii thorugh composite. Also after twiddeling with the signal type for a while the TV stopped accepting the cable AT ALL, got no component signal (just like the Wii)... I know it's not a faulty input since it's connected to my receiver and my DVD signal goes through it just fine, I think my TV is very picky of what signal to accept. I'm gonna call a technician in the next few days to see what can be done...
Thanks for all the great feedback...

JohnoBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
OMG I FIXED IT!:D:D
It took a lot of trial and error but I finally made it work, the first thing I noticed was that when I connect the cable av box to my setup I get noise on the audio channels, I called a technician and when he came he replaced the cable box I still had signal problems, but he said he'll bring a signal filter that should fix things up (that was a week and a half ago, still no sign of filter). Next thing that happened might seem a kind of unrelated but worth mentioning - I got a PS3 hooked to my system... I got a low quality component signal, and switching to HD really screwed things up, resulting in discolored, flashy images. Thinking that two completely new consoles couldn't both be faulty I put the blame on the TV and called service, which was scheduled to today at noon (now its about 17:30 here). I tried tweaking some stuff up last night so I could show the technician what else I tried, and noticed that the PS3 disturbance signal went slightly less visible when I disconnected the now-composite Wii from my TV (note that the PS3 was hooked through the Receiver), that seemed odd and I took a wild guess - I disconnected the Wii from the outlet.
Guess what? Signal went clear! Aside from a horizontal scrolling bar it seemed ok, but I couldn't yet get HD working right, so a technician was still needed. But wait - what about the Wii, why can't I even have it connected to my outlets without a disturbance. Now, my children (
tongue.gif
) comes quite an important lesson - don't use 3rd party AC Adapters... Since I live in 220V area and my Wii is 110v (US), instead of getting a stepdown brick I opted for a 3rd party power adapter from DealExtreme (Bless them), bad chocie. When I came home early from work today (to be in time for techinician) I went to an electric store and got a stepdown converter, as a last measure... I connected and, you know it, no Wii signal problems... PS3 looked like when the Wii was disconnected yesterday, and... I could output component signal!!
biggrin.gif
:D:D
So technician comes later, I show hime the flashing HD... he disconnects TV Box cables from receiver... poof! I get flawless HD!
No I have to wait some more for cable guy to bring me the line filter, hopefully that'd help me avoid further probs. Now what I have to do if I wanna play PS3 is make sure that the cable box isn't connected in any way to my system (through receiver or directly to TV), the Wii doesn't seem to be affected too much by the cable box.
Thank you again for all your help, I hope no one ever gets in that kind of trouble I had to endure...

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well... If you know of a brick and mortar retailer anywhere in the 48 states that carries new TVs which accept PAL input, tell me. PAL compatible sets are virtually impossible to obtain in this entire country. Even eBay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.