no seriously

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tinymonkeyt, Dec 5, 2008.

Dec 5, 2008

no seriously by tinymonkeyt at 1:55 PM (920 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. tinymonkeyt
    OP

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    [​IMG]
    and they churned out the SAT game for the nds just a while ago

do they really think its gonna help?
    'having your kid get more and more addicted to the ds sure helps with their studies
    especially since you encourage their gaming by giving them a ds to study with!'
    like i mean. think about it
    an SAT game for the DS is practically an oxymoron
    and who'd want that edumacational stuff on their ipod anyway?

2. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I hate eductional stuff on my entertainment systems. i dont even like Brain Age.

3. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Actually SAT games for the DS might drive kids away from the DS as many think learning especially during their free time is hell.

So in theory SAT for the DS is essentially "Stop using your DS coach".

4. tinymonkeyt
    OP

United States
    like yeah, right?
    the reason we play games in the first place is to avoid doing something educational

5. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    im baffled whut are those last resort ideas? the only type of learning games is if it teached me how to animate or make codes or encode videos.

6. Banger

United States

Are those statements not contradictions?

First you state having them study for SAT's on the DS would make them more addicted to the system yourself and then you go on to say the reason people use the DS is to get away from doing something educational.

Studying for the SAT's seems kind of educational to me yet it would me a person become more addicted to the system?

7. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    I actually learn from games :S. I learned english through RPGs, i also learned katakana, hiragana and some kanjis from jpn games.

I also learned that chocobos lived in a forest somewhere in the world and they come at you when you have ghysal greens.

So games are somewhat educational.

8. ZzzZilla

Member ZzzZilla GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I dunno, I find the DS is great for "long-term" learning, such as for languages. Things that generally need you to keep coming back. And being software, it's great when they record the stuff you keep getting wrong so you know what to watch out for.

'sides, some games are great fun precisely because of their educational/intellectual challenge. (ie Professor Layton)

9. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The point of this software is not to be used, or to be useful, it's to get parents to spend money on it thinking that it will somehow improve their kids' SAT scores.

10. tinymonkeyt
    OP

United States
    oh well the first statement is something i imagine the company (kaplan) would say to advertise their product.
    well i dont think i meant it to be contradictory.
    like we play games for fun.
    but i guess playing the ds itself would probably temp kids to play something other than SAT games
    if my mom forced me to play games (SAT games), id prolly just switch out the cartridge and say im playing the sat game

and im not saying the people dont learn from games
    they do. we do. i do. we all do.
    theres always something you can learn
    but SATs? on the ds?
    dont think thats gonna help much
    destructo is right. they only want money.

11. Banger

United States
    Well if you are running a Company that is of course not non profit; you do wish to make money.

If you did not make money no reason to really have that Company. Why do you think these games many classify as "shovelware" continue to be made? Because they continue to sell like hot cakes making these companies money and unless they stop selling as such they will continue to make them.

Not only do they not take much effort to make the production to earning ratio is far greater then a game that a company actually puts time into. These so called shovelware games I am sure do not have much of a story and the graphics can easily be reused from game to game so they do not need much of a staff meaning less people they have to pay increasing their profits that much more.

That is one reason these shovelware companies use names that a day to day family knows the name of and because of the recognized name they are even more likely to buy the game for their child.

Ok I think my little "rant" is done with.

12. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    +1
    i learnt how to (almost) write bankai in jap. haha and death note. and some others.

and i learnt that there is a fat chocobo, reading to be stuffed with items. as long you have some ghysal greens.