No NSP or XCI are working in SXOS OR reiNX after SD card corruption.

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by captiveball, Aug 11, 2018.

1. captiveball
    OP

captiveball Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United States
    I was installing Okami HD the day it came out and i had an error while installing the NSP i got through bobs gui. I was using sxos to install and the system froze during the install so i just restarted with a long press of the power button. Investigating, i started checking the NSP files on the SD card vs the CDSNP download and noticed a small difference in file size. This led me to start H2testW on my new 400 g sandisk and it came back with this log:

Warning: Only 375607 of 375608 MByte tested.
    The media is likely to be defective.
    366.8 GByte OK (769238011 sectors)
    2.5 MByte DATA LOST (5125 sectors)
    Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
    0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
    2.5 MByte corrupted (5125 sectors)
    0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
    First error at offset: 0x000000000ec90200
    Expected: 0x000000000ec90200
    Found: 0x00000000ffff001a
    H2testw version 1.3
    Writing speed: 18.5 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 20.2 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

ok cool, so the new SD card is screwed. NBD> i grab my 128 gig sandisk and load it up with some NSP to install (all test are done with nsp and xci ive previously had running). I then run chkdsk just to make sure the SD card is good, and it is. Boot up SXOS and install a nsp through SXOS, try to start the "successful" install, and it freezes at the first switch loading screen, hard freezing the system. Now every NSP i install through SXOS wont start. Try tinfoil and get the same thing, "this software closed due to an error". i check the file using horizon data management menu and get a message saying the file is corrupted. horizon then asks me if i want to re-download the game. ok, sure, why not? so now i try to start it and the game works! WTF. It seems i have permissions fixed, but everything i install corrupts, from both tinfoil and sxos.

i try i XCI loaded through sxos, same error, "this software closed due to an error", seems the game has an update, so i install the update through horizon, now it works too.

i install a nsp to internal memory using both tinfoil and sxos installer. same thing, "this software closed due to an error".

Frustrated, i've also tried the newest reiNX using tegrasmash and have the exact same behavior, so this should rule out the dongle or sxos.

I've fully restored the switch, formatted both the sd cards through horizon as well as windows, and now im at a loss. if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed please let me know. thanks for reading all this and any help you can provide.

2. Nononoki

Nononoki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Try restoring your NAND using the backup you hopefully made

captiveball likes this.
  3. captiveball
    OP

captiveball Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United States
    i did make one. however i was on 4.1 and fat32 when i made it. will that make a difference? (5.1 and exfat now)

4. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Are you using SX OS or the Rommenu.nro?
    In case you are using ReiNX, are you trying to run XCI converted to NSP?

5. captiveball
    OP

captiveball Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United States
    I was using the sxos menu installer as well as tinfoil with the same result.

and no i was using picross 2 from cdsnp as a test nsp.

6. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    So you are using ReiNX as CFW?
    In that case XCI loading is not yet supported even with the SX OS menu installer.
    And by the looks of it your SD cards might be at fault so I advise running some tests with RMPrepUSB or similar tools.
    I'd avoid installing NSP with the SX OS installer and use devmenu or tinfoil instead.

Tomobobo likes this.
  7. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    My installed NSPs were nuked from using ftpd. It locked up so I reset, then none of my installed NSP would run. Had to reinstall some, what a fucking hassle that is, I said fuck it and used xci for most of them instead. Also I used sxos installer, and they all ran fine until ftpd fucked em up.

Tomobobo likes this.
  8. captiveball
    OP

captiveball Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United States
    i was testing xci on sxos and then decided to use reiNX just to see if the NSP would work after reinstalling them. they dont until i update them using horizon and then that game runs.

9. BuriA

BuriA Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2018
    Philippines
    i won't use any other cfw than sx os. most stable.

BloodRose and stephrk398 like this.
  10. BelmontSlayer

BelmontSlayer Pokémon Princess

May 11, 2006
    Thailand
    Memememe Island
    [​IMG]
    But seriously, SX OS is pretty stable. I almost never get error codes or crashes.

11. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You cant restore a 4.1 nand backup when youre already on 5.1 unless you followed a guide to upgrade without burning efuses. Also you would have to have been using AutoRCM this whole time to avoid burning your efuses

12. captiveball
    OP

captiveball Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United States
    Ok guys! I finally figured it out. After a few days of trouble shooting i narrowed the problem down to my usb hub i was plugging the micro sd card into. The games werent corrupted enough to stop the install just enough that they wouldnt start at all. That on top of boot.dat getting corrupted was driving me insane.
    Thanks everyone for the help.

0000ff likes this.
  13. Mr. Wizard
    This message by Mr. Wizard has been removed from public view by x65943, Aug 13, 2018, Reason: off topic, bickering. Keep it in PM.
    Aug 13, 2018
  14. Kafluke
    This message by Kafluke has been removed from public view by x65943, Aug 13, 2018, Reason: off topic, bickering. Keep it in PM.
    Aug 13, 2018
  15. Mr. Wizard
    This message by Mr. Wizard has been removed from public view by x65943, Aug 13, 2018, Reason: off topic, bickering. Keep it in PM.
    Aug 13, 2018
  16. Kafluke
    This message by Kafluke has been removed from public view by x65943, Aug 13, 2018, Reason: off topic, bickering. Keep it in PM.
    Aug 13, 2018
  17. Mr. Wizard
    Aug 13, 2018
  18. Kafluke
    Aug 13, 2018
  19. Mr. Wizard
    Aug 13, 2018
  20. Kafluke
    Aug 13, 2018
  21. Mr. Wizard
    Aug 13, 2018
  22. Kafluke
    Aug 13, 2018
  23. Mr. Wizard
    Aug 13, 2018