Not open for further replies.

yorto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, why is everyone in a huff to run an update their wii to v4.0?

This is a dumb, dumb, non-thinking, non-critical action on your part.

Yes, it is great all the time those spent figuring out what to do to get your wii firmware up to 4.0.

But, what, really, are you gaining that you can't already do with the Homebrew stuff?

Brickblock, your backups and iso's and you will be fine.

Oh....to all those, "He's only got 1 post don't listen to him" people.....I may only have one post, been a member for a short time HERE, but I got an inside scoop on the inside of Nintendo.

Nintendo is setting the hacking community up. Closing up the holes, little by little. Prep for an ECM! Oh..what's an ECM?

Electronic Counter Measure!

Those of you that hacked DirecTV in the H and HU card days will remember.

Detection of a hack to circumvent Nintendo safe guards is going to result into a BRICKED wii!

DO NOT UPDATE TO v4.0!

-YORTO

ThaDraGun

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i dunno, why not update.. I don't see what the big deal is.
I can do everything I could with all the other firmware versions plus I have the new SD capabilities. I have no problems with 4.0.
I can still play trucha games normally..even without using GeckoOS. I can use homebrew channel, I can still add wads and I can copy them to SD card if I want.

Maybe Im just missing something and there are things I cant do and just dont know it, but as long as you dont update to 4.0 from Nintendo I dont see what the problem is. It seems fine to me!

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol they already fix a bricked wii and send it back to you even if its hacked , so i dont understand their logic there - may i ask how you have this 'inside information?' are you related to Mr Nintendo ?
tongue.gif

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice post.. No need to worry about an ECM if your not connecting your Wii online though... And you shouldnt have a problem updating your Wii if you know what your doing.. My setup is a Wiikey running on 4.0 with PreLoader installed and I've had no problems as of yet... Went through my share of problems with Wii's in the past but nothing I wouldnt chalk up to experience... For the Newbies though, its definately not needed, as it may cause more uneccesary bricks.. But hey, what are we gonna do?

D

Deleted-171178

They wont brick the wii otherwise it'll mean more work/loss of profit for them to repair them and its illigal (i believe?)
They should leak some software out that deletes the HBC. but like disguise it as something else.

yorto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a family member that works for Nintendo of America. (In case you were wondering)

Next big release for Nintendo is Wii Sports:Resort. Major update will be added to that disc.

Nintendo is also going to start a new copy protection scheme on their new discs.

Companies WILL disable their hardware if they detect tampering. DirecTV zapped their cards to make watching TV impossible then SUED their customers for buying perfectly legal smart card readers that were used to write data through a hole in their encryption algorithm. Tell me how is this different? You get your Nintendo bricked by an ECM and send it in to them. You mean to tell me that their engineers won't be able to tell what you did? Please...Memory Forensics alone will tell them the last time you took a crap and paused your Wii. They will either send your bricked Wii back to you for Warranty violation or send you back a Wii with all the latest, update firmware. Now keep in mind, they got your name. They're not stupid.

Will they sue the hackers? I seriously doubt it. DirecTV had a nightmare on their hands. They sued subs for $3000 USD regardless of your reasons for owning a LEGAL SmartCard programmer. Go figure.

This is 2009. Wake up.

Just my two cents.

Yorto

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yorto said:
I have a family member that works for Nintendo of America. (In case you were wondering)

Next big release for Nintendo is Wii Sports:Resort. Major update will be added to that disc.

Nintendo is also going to start a new copy protection scheme on their new discs.

Just my two cents.

Yorto

Bring it on then
ph34r.gif

So there should be a 4.1 or some other update on Wii Sports: Resort? That's very possible, but I still don't bother with it.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Satangel said:
yorto said:

Just my two cents.

Yorto

Bring it on then
ph34r.gif

So there should be a 4.1 or some other update on Wii Sports: Resort? That's very possible, but I still don't bother with it.

Probably just a new IOS for the motion plus.
Nintendo can't make a very big change to the wii system. Read this http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...get-any-better/

gitkua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're clueless man... Like they would brick Wii's if they were even ABLE to detect hardware or software modifications. In a lot of countries, modding your hardware isn't even illegal UNTIL you play "backups" on it...

And a lot of people already sent in a bricked wii (bricked by software modifications) and just ended up paying repairing costs. It's of no interest for a company like Nintendo to go and sue or hurt every last modder (hard- or softmodder) out there...

You should really stop trying to scare people with your "inside" information and half-assed knowledge, because to be honest; your post make no sense whatsoever. The percentage of people who mod their Wii's or "tamper" with it, is just not interesting enough for them to take serious steps... Face it, the gamecube was able to play backups via soft- and hardmod, and they didn't take that much action to try and stop it from happening on the Wii.

Sure, they can 'force' you to update to a newer firmware, to use new functionality or play their latest Wii Sports Resort awesomeness, but they're up against a group of console hackers which work a hundred times faster then their engineers. It's an endless battle, Nintendo knows it and it's not interesting enough for them...

Go try and scare people somewhere else...

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This thread delivers. Random guy on the Internet claims a family member of his works in Nintendo, so we must not update to 4.0 unless we are dumb.

Seriously, it's full of win.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joey Ravn said:
This thread delivers. Random guy on the Internet claims a family member of his works in Nintendo, so we must not update to 4.0 unless we are dumb.

It's on the internet so it must be true

SpAM_CAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its just a load of bull really. I see what you are trying to say, but as Marcan said in the link above, it on IOSes which are easily hacked. Unbelievably easy to hack, stupidly patched together, and just dumb.
Besides, we already have SD loading so why bother?

The Wii is nearly our b*tch, and Nintendo will not get it back from us.
Much like the Xbox, Nintendo should give up on trying; they will never win.

D

Deleted-171178

Joey Ravn said:

OFF TO WIKIPED

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
This may be a joke topic but he makes a decent point, 4.0 is a risk not worth taking.
That whole playing WiiWare games from an SD card is BS and we all know it, so just keep all your damn WiiWare games on one SDHC Card, HBC supports them just fine it seems, i use a 4GB one for ROMs, and only have one WiiWare WAD installed at a time in the system, it's what 4.0 does anyway, except instead of a console interface you get pretty pictures with theirs.

4.0 is BS and not worth the risk even if that risk is minimal.
3.2 ftw IMO

alkobottle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm pretty sure they would not even think about bricking hacked wiis. I don't know about the laws in the US and Japan, but in EU....they would kick Nintendos asses if they brick a wii on purpose.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol you are getting ripped to shreds here...

i was just reading what kedest linked to http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...get-any-better/

and it seems if they keep adding more and more to prevent hacking, then memory is gonna be very scarce indeed lol

what exactly did your family relative say?

4.0E is even better than 3.2 to me, and i never thought anything would out do that! sd menu, faster copying, USB Game channels in SD Menu, Region free disc channel, Copies in disc channel, preloader brick protection...

whats not to like?

QUOTE said:
This may be a joke topic but he makes a decent point, 4.0 is a risk not worth taking.
That whole playing WiiWare games from an SD card is BS and we all know it, so just keep all your damn WiiWare games on one SDHC Card, HBC supports them just fine it seems, i use a 4GB one for ROMs, and only have one WiiWare WAD installed at a time in the system, it's what 4.0 does anyway, except instead of a console interface you get pretty pictures with theirs.

3.2 ftw IMO

if you think about it though, you're gonna be spending alot of time installing and uninstalling games all the time. why not install one, move to SD, install one, move to SD, then you have the same amount of space on your SD card, and that way you can load any wiiware/VC game from your SD without all that wasted time.

of course i mean delete wads from SD card as you go as not to run out of space.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shinigami Kiba said:

3.2 ftw IMO

Prove it. Show us a a study conducted by an independent researcher that shows that we all know it. I'm frigging tired of your dogmatism and ad populum logic. If you don't like 4.0, don't upgrade. But so far nothing has been shown that proves that 4.0 is bullshit. In fact, right now, it has most of the functions of 3.2, if not all. I can do EXACTLY the same I did with 4.0, plus I can use store channels on my SD. I just can't understand WHERE you see the problem with that.

Seriously, close this troll-nesting topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Sicklyboy I was reading your post on the lgbtq batman