Founder of the Church of Renamon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Im gonna keep it short and simple.
Pokemon Shining Emerald is a hack project made by Pokefun and his team and should stay as a hack project made by Pokefun and his team.
Creating a thread on Pokemon Shining Emerald is plagiarism of someone else's hard work.
So I'd like to ask that no-one else rips off Shining Emeralds name or anything else to do with it.
Make your own hacks, and that doesnt mean taking Pokefuns 0.5 beta and editing a few things. Then advertising it as your own.
There are many different names for a Gen 3 hack that could be listed. If you want one, ask me and i'll gladly provide.

Stealing is a crime. Everywhere.
Thanks
-Ice-

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi.
Pokemon is a game series made by Nintendo.
Creating a thread on Pokemon Hacks is plagiarism of someone else's hard work because you're using their game engine and resources.
So I'd like to ask that no-one else rips off Pokemon games or anything else to do with it.
Make your own games, and that doesnt mean taking a pokemon game and editing a few things. Then advertising it as your own.
There are many different kinds of games that could be made. If you want one, ask me and i'll gladly provide.

"Stealing is a crime. Everywhere.", right?
Thanks
-Rydian-

EDIT: The point being that I find things like this very ironic when ALL OF YOU are taking a retail game and modifying it. I can agree with not plagiarising somebody else's work, but there's an awful lot of hypocrisy in trying to bring that concept into the domain of pokemon ROM hacks. Even if you modify every single map and NPC speech string (in the case of the completed hacks), you're still using the engine, resources, and IP.

Reactions: 12 people

Black-Ice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well under that theory we might as well shut down this whole section of the forum.
But you must get the gist of what im saying so whatever.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.
Pokemon is a game series made by Nintendo.
Creating a thread on Pokemon Hacks is plagiarism of someone else's hard work because you're using their game engine and resources.
So I'd like to ask that no-one else rips off Pokemon games or anything else to do with it.
Make your own games, and that doesnt mean taking a pokemon game and editing a few things. Then advertising it as your own.
There are many different kinds of games that could be made. If you want one, ask me and i'll gladly provide.

"Stealing is a crime. Everywhere.", right?
Thanks
-Rydian-

EDIT: The point being that I find things like this very ironic when ALL OF YOU are taking a retail game and modifying it. I can agree with not plagiarising somebody else's work, but there's an awful lot of hypocrisy in trying to bring that concept into the domain of pokemon ROM hacks. Even if you modify every single map and NPC speech string (in the case of the completed hacks), you're still using the engine, resources, and IP.
all i gotta say is -=huggles=- EPIC!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well under that theory we might as well shut down this whole section of the forum.
ROM hacks are fine (and in some cases, arguably needed for "broken" games), it's when people hack pokemon ROMs and then claim it's "their game" that it crosses the line. I found your post very ironic because it decries "stealing", while defending a "game" with a "stolen" engine, graphics, and IP.

But you must get the gist of what im saying so whatever.
I do, and I'm against stolen work as well.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, we do. But technicalities are technicalities. If the "product" being offered was a paid for item, then there might be more weight behind the statement. But as it is, it's a complaint about a hack that someone made, that's a hobby thing moreso, and not something one would credibly used to identify themselves as popular.

Now, if someone made two new Pokemon games with 9,741 new pokemon, and called them "Table" and "Chair" editions, using the Pokemon name, and claimed they were the 5th gen releases (or whatever Pokemon is on, I didn't follow after 2nd gen), and actually sold them, there would be problems.

As it is though, it's a rom hack, for fun, for other players enjoyment. Hate to break it, but when it comes to rom hacking, there's not really "respect" to other people's projects that can be considered.

Black-Ice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As it is though, it's a rom hack, for fun, for other players enjoyment. Hate to break it, but when it comes to rom hacking, there's not really "respect" to other people's projects that can be considered.
Its not that hard to learn some respect.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its not like "shining emerald" is the epitome of creativity oo
and it also doesnt show much respect for you to open a topic going all copyright on a projects name, as if you'd have to tell the terrible people here that they should not take someone elses work etc, on account of some random guy that just happened to open a topic here. so yeah.

now i get it, you want to do something nice for pokefun and his team, but this really makes you sound worse than you probably are.
now everyone, lets just leave this quietly

Black-Ice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
its not like "shining emerald" is the epitome of creativity oo
and it also doesnt show much respect for you to open a topic going all copyright on a projects name, as if you'd have to tell the terrible people here that they should not take someone elses work etc.

now i get it, you want to do something nice for pokefun and his team, but this really makes you sound worse than you probably are.
now everyone, lets just leave this quietly
I was part of the team actually. Lrn b4 u comment
Yes i do have to tell the terrible people, And if someone is ripping off a idea I have all right to express that its wrong.
You think you're some crowd pleaser? I dont give two craps how I sound to other people.
So leave my thread quietly.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not that hard to learn some respect.
Unfortunately, there tends to be a lack of respect when dealing with this kind of subject, either with people attempting to claim ownership over a type of hack, engine, source, or whatever; or escalating disagreements within certain projects.

And don't get me starting on the people waiting for popular hacks. Translations for example; for some reason that I still cannot fathom, people feel like they are deserved special treatment or the right to a certain project. They'll often rush the people working hard on said project, blatantly ignoring the fact that they are indeed actual people with their own lives and busy schedule, and offering no actual respect to the creators/authors. Another good example of this was the old PSP community; God, it was terrible.

I guess what I'm saying is that people tend to be too stupid or stuck up with themselves too much to comprehend respect.

Reactions: 1 person

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This forum needs moar, MOAR Pokemon hacks.

Pokemon Poo Brown, Urine Gold and Bacterial Infection Green, please.

Sarcasm aside, I can see Black-Ice's point. Eventually, someone is going to start another Pokemon Shining Emerald hack topic. How different will it be from the other three Pokemon Shining Emerald threads? Probably not different enough to warrant starting a whole new project for it.

If someone starts a USN thread, and later on someone else starts another thread with the same topic, we lock the one that was made later. Why shouldn't we treat Pokemon hacks the same way? Having all these hacks kind of cheapens the value of each project. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have any more Pokemon hacks, but come on, put some quality into them instead of cranking one out every other day like they're on some factory conveyor belt assembly line!

Reactions: 4 people

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.
Pokemon Shining Emerald is a hack project made by Pokefun and his team and should stay as a hack project made by Pokefun and his team.
Creating a thread on Pokemon Shining Emerald is plagiarism of someone else's hard work.
So I'd like to ask that no-one else rips off Shining Emeralds name or anything else to do with it.
Make your own hacks, and that doesnt mean taking Pokefuns 0.5 beta and editing a few things. Then advertising it as your own.
There are many different names for a Gen 3 hack that could be listed. If you want one, ask me and i'll gladly provide.

Stealing is a crime. Everywhere.
Thanks
-Ice-

http://gbatemp.net/topic/304763-pokemon-shining-emerald/

The dude disappeared from here awhile ago, if he doesn't want anymore threads about his topic then have him come back and say so. Are people stealing his work or just giving out links to his hack? Giving out links to his hack isn't bad unless the rom is included.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ROM was included, which is why the first post was edited and the thread was locked.

Yeah i saw that topic, i just meant that people giving out links to the guys hack shouldn't be a problem if they give credit unless a rom is included.

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
wait o.O, this thread not locked o.o . i remember in this morning (on my time) is was locked o.O

The ROM was included, which is why the first post was edited and the thread was locked.
Yeah i saw that topic, i just meant that people giving out links to the guys hack shouldn't be a problem if they give credit unless a rom is included.
more more people not give a credit if is used 3rd source, it will make a worse condition if the founder/creator decide not continued it or share it publicly.

Black-Ice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yh i see your point, but there was a rom and the guy said that he edited all the trainers, text etc. When it was an exact copy of the Original beta with 2 overworld sprites slightly darkened. No credit was included

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dude, one single guy "ripping off" one hack does not justify you treating everyone here like they were just waiting to steal the hack next.

you expressed your opinion in both of emeraldwhatevers threads, which is probably your right, but then starting a whole new thread just to tell EVERYONE ELSE that they better not think about stealing either a name, or an idea, is wrong and unrespectful and you know that. just as well as you should know that this one guy will not give a damn anyway, as he didnt give one in those two threads he made, and everyone else just feels riled up by you.

im against stealing and all myself, obviously, but you demanding respect by being unrespectful yourself, in my eyes, is just as wrong

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I am sorry but YOU demanding respect over stolen work?
How about the tools you and your team used? even if they were just an hex editor, they are a written tools NOT by your team and they were used in order to "create" your pokemon game hack
how about the actual engine and resources and IP coded by GameFreak and The Pokemon Company? is that part of your hack as well? I am sure as hell not, it was stolen too
How about that title? did you register it in somekind of copyright protection? no, because you CAN'T, and there's a good reason you can copyright protect engine mods such as Source, Unreal and so on forming a new title all long (mass effect, Counter-strike, Team-Fortress, Borderlands) while your HACK is not within that line, because you never asked anyshit to hack that game, you just did.

You can demand credits for your creativity integrated in your ROM hack, I agree with that, but you can never open a new thread demanding shit out of us, a glance look with an hex editor can read signs such as sprite editor and map editor at ease, I went directy to GBAtemp's thread opened by Pokefun for this hack and none of those tools were mentioned, let alone their developers being credited, not to mention the actual game developers who made a whole engine you couldn't even scratch

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No matter the limit he always gives the tip +1