No modchips work with my Wii!!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xbitz, Jun 7, 2008.

Jun 7, 2008

No modchips work with my Wii!!! by xbitz at 10:50 AM (2,173 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. xbitz
    OP

Newcomer xbitz Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have a really strange problem - I can't seem to get any mod chips to work with my Wii. My serial number starts with LEH160, so as far as I can tell this means that it is a D2C chipset. I have tried 2 different D2CKEY chips and I have just tried a 9 Wire D2Pro and I couldn't get either of them to work. In each case the chips were installed by a professional and checked for shorts etc.

With the 2 D2CKeys I got the same results, the Wii would play backups but not originals and when the chip was removed it would play originals again.

With the D2Pro, the red LED on the chip stayed on permanently and the drive's eject motor was steping, so when I tried to insert a disc it just took it in ~1cm at a time. The D2Pro has been reinstalled 3 times and produces the same result each time. I have examined the D2Pro chip and it appears to have been an early D2Pro that has been upgraded to the 9 wire version, i.e. is has the extra SPI module sticking out. What I can't tell is what firmware version the D2Pro has installed, but as I understand it, this shouldn't matter if my chipset is the D2C - unless it doesn't have the 9 wire version of the firmware.

I am starting to think that maybe I don't have the chipset that I think I have. I bought my Wii from new in December 2007, so I am pretty sure that it is not the new version of D2C chipset. When I look at the chipset itself there is no printing on it, so I cannot visually tell which chip it is. Is there a possibility that I have a D2B or something else? Does anybody know if a D2B would produce these sorts of results with the chips I've tried.

This is really, really bugging me now - I could have bought a pre-modded drive for what this has cost me so far!!!

Please, please, if anybody has any ideas let me know!!!

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    You might have the newest D2C chip, D2Pro/D2C team have cracked it what I know, but no firmware update for it yet.

3. xbitz
    OP

Newcomer xbitz Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply linuxares, but I though the newest D2C chips didn't start coming out until April 2008. Also, I thought that even the first D2Pro chips were designed to work with the newest D2C chipset???

4. xbitz
    OP

Newcomer xbitz Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have some new info which may help somebody understand my problems. I have taken a digital photo of my chipset, zoomed-in and played with the colours and now I can just make out the chipset version information. The markings on the 2 chips are as follows:

GC2-D2C
    GC2-D1A

Useful Tip: If anybody else is having problems installing mod-chips, I would recommend taking a digital photo and then zooming-in to check the quality of your solders and checking for shorts etc.

5. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    get a d2pro, or wasabi, or argon infectus or something

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    No, the first D2Pros won't work with the D2Cv2. You could wait for the new D2Pros coming out that will support the D2Cv2, already programmed with the new firmware, or otherwise, if you've got one of the D2Pros with the SPI Flash, you could just wait for the new firmware to be released and then flash it on the D2Pro you've got.

Either way, there's no modchip which currently works on D2Cv2. Wasabi is gonna put out a new modchip which will resolve some of the issues encountered on some Wiis and add the D2Cv2 support, but I'd advise to wait for D2Pro.

7. cloudspear

cloudspear Newbie

there's already a d2pro version that work with the new d2c2 drive. so make sure to buy the new version of the d2pro 9 wire for d2c2. i order mine from ozmodchip on monday. the d2pro team still haven't release the firmware to update the old d2pro 9 wire version yet and people don't know if they will release it or not either so don't buy the old version for d2c2 drive.

8. xbitz
    OP

Newcomer xbitz Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info everybody, it sounds like I probably do have the new D2C2 chipset then. I was probably unlucky enough to get one of the first ones into production, as I bought my Wii in December.

I'm sending my Wii of on Monday for attempt #4, so fingers crossed, the new D2PRO v2 will work.

Thanks again.